What would you buy?

What should I buy?

• P4P

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • P4P +

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Mavic Pro

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Inspire 1 (I think pricing has come way down)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ted

Reaction score
I am going to be flying for personal use - recreation and fun of flying. I am also a photographer and videographer (just for the hobby)

I live close to Lake Erie and would fly there often (can get windy)

I have contacts in the construction / real estate business where I could possibly do some small jobs (yes...I would get my 107 if I was doing work)

I have had a P3P for some time now so, I have some experience

Thanks in advance

I am going to be flying for personal use - recreation and fun of flying. I am also a photographer and videographer (just for the hobby)

I live close to Lake Erie and would fly there often (can get windy)

I have contacts in the construction / real estate business where I could possibly do some small jobs (yes...I would get my 107 if I was doing work)

I have had a P3P for some time now so, I have some experience

Thanks in advance
There are many threads on this already. Try using the search function. I would fork up the money and get a P4P.

Reactions: Waternut13134
If you want a better camera, which I'd highly recommend considering what your uses, then I'd go for the P4P. If you want portability, go with the Mavic Pro.
Phantom 4 Pro vs Mavic Pro

I'd highly advise against going with the P4P+. For the price of the P4P plus a used iPad Air 2 16GB ($250ish) you pay 1750 and have a removable tablet, rather than the 1799 P4P+.

Last edited:
If you want a better camera, which I'd highly recommend considering what your uses, then I'd go for the P4P. If you want portability, go with the Mavic Pro.
Phantom 4 Pro vs Mavic Pro

I'd highly advise going with the P4P+. For the price of the P4P plus a used iPad Air 2 16GB ($250ish) you pay 1750 and have a removable tablet, rather than the 1799 P4P+.
I think your comment contradicts itself

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using PhantomPilots mobile app

Anyone with an iPhone is a photographer and videographer if they image or take video. If you are at a higher sophistication level and you may need a flying camera platform to produce a product someone may want to purchase, I'd go with a DJI Phantom 4 Pro. But like anything technology related, something better will soon be released, and current and older models will be discounted to move them. If you have a little time to wait, it may be worth it for the next generation of DJI "Phantom" level craft...but then again, there may only be a P4P refresh later this year.

The general answer is the P4P, but my HUGE hope, probably not shared by the many here, is a larger Mavic Pro, which will feature some ultra great camera. Make the P4P the last in the Phantom line or continue to use the name due to brand recognition, I don't care. However, a folding arm, camera forward and top battery mounted design is the ONLY way to go rather than reverting back to the plastic airframe Phantoms.

The Mavic Pro's camera forward design allows for more aggressive flying styles which frees or drastically limits props, prop shadows and landing gear in the camera frame. The folding arms allow for better portability, and a quicker setup time. The top mounted battery design allows increased battery capacity while maintaining center of gravity. This design HAS to be the future of DJI, if not many of the other major drone manufacturers. If design protected, it may kill the competition for DJI if not make them insignificant.

Last edited:
I would wait until spring to see if a newer P5 model comes out . The worst that could happen is that the P4 price will drop .

Ted I'm in the Cleveland area as well. Just got a p4p. It's great. I'm getting a Mavic as well for its portability. I had the p4p up pretty high last week in the high winds and it was very steady.

Check out fly by video pros in North Ridgeville when your ready to buy. Cool guy. He's a dji distributor as well as a repair shop. He operates from his house but has anything you need and is very knowledgeable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using PhantomPilots mobile app

Funny you mention Fly By Video, I bought my last P3P from him. And, I just ordered a Mavic from him today. I know the wind issue and I will deal with this. For $1,300 you get a lot of fun. I figure this will get my by until the next amazing technology comes out. And, if I get called out to do something the Mavic cannot, I will upgrade. For now, this is it. One of the things I hated about the Magic was having to use my iPhone. I wanted a larger screen. I stumbled on a ton of videos of people using their iPad mini's and it held great on the controller. That was it, I was sold. Thanks for the help here and maybe I'll see you out sometime.

P4Pro imho. I think it is more future proof than the Mavic, although nothing is futureproof!

Hi, just joined the forum. A lot of good info here. I love the P4P. I've had a P3S, P3P, and a P4, the P4P is much better. I say the P4P because I like to have 3rd party apps on my display. The range is crazy on the P4P.

Reactions: AIRSPACE
Hi, just joined the forum. A lot of good info here. I love the P4P. I've had a P3S, P3P, and a P4, the P4P is much better. I say the P4P because I like to have 3rd party apps on my display. The range is crazy on the P4P.
Welcome.. You will learn a lot here, lots of very knowledge DJI Pilots! I think the P4P is the rolls royce of sub 2kg drones at the moment..

Last edited:
Welcome.. You will learn a lot here, lots of very knowledge DJI Pilots! I think the P4P is the rolls royce of drones at the moment..

Thanks Airspace, I have learned a lot on this forum. I just couldn't get the range I get now with the P4P and the camera is awesome!

Reactions: gbn722
Funny you mention Fly By Video, I bought my last P3P from him. And, I just ordered a Mavic from him today. I know the wind issue and I will deal with this. For $1,300 you get a lot of fun. I figure this will get my by until the next amazing technology comes out. And, if I get called out to do something the Mavic cannot, I will upgrade. For now, this is it. One of the things I hated about the Magic was having to use my iPhone. I wanted a larger screen. I stumbled on a ton of videos of people using their iPad mini's and it held great on the controller. That was it, I was sold. Thanks for the help here and maybe I'll see you out sometime.

I just flew my P4P for the first time today and used my iPad Air 2 and it worked fantastic on the built in holder on the remote. I'm uploading a YouTube on the flight. Rock solid stability in the air and the one inch sensor takes fantastic photos (attached a few to show).
100d6099253f6e7577a52d9d48da60ce.jpg

d72cbf8a3917c1c875793e2167b7ad97.jpg

7fe5b958653eb6f9720e606ab9e44f19.jpg

f58e4ac4de1db7063fd1ec1bddb8b048.jpg

6609feda9fc68dfe08aedf5735898eec.jpg

These are the jpgs out of the camera 15 minutes after sunrise. Next purchase... ND filters for sunrise and sunsets so as to not blow out the highlights. I'd love a graduated ND for this!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Does anyone with a mavic and p4p have the same picture with both drones to compare the pictures

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl