What were you told when you called the Tower

What have you experienced when you called the tower?

• They told me to call someone else

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • The said they couldn't allow me to fly

• They thanked me for the notification

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • They laughed at me

• Total voters
Reaction score
I am asking because I suspect that the airport operators aren't very well trained in this subject. I am within three 5 mile zones where I live (and I've never flown from home since these new rules were implemented. One of the zones I'm within is the local Frederick airport (and the home of AOPA), the other two are heliports at healthcare facilities (I have no idea who to call in those latter cases). So I also want to get an idea of what I have to look forward to! :)

I actually tried to create this poll early this morning, but I guess it didn't register. I hope I haven't created a duplicate.

Reactions: Hawkwind
To the best of my knowledge there is no 5 mile zone for helipads. That said, I personally wouldn't fly next to one without at person to help me watch and listen for inbound helicopters.

FDK tower is open 0700 - 2100. During those hours it's Class D airspace and unlikely you will get clearance to fly in their airspace for any reason. Outside of theist hours it's class G airspace to 700ft so no permission needed, but again you'll want to watch out for inbound aircraft. If you have a scanner, monitor the CTAF frequency 132.4 as inbound traffic will announce themselves there.

There is a LARGE TFR a few miles South Southeast, DO NOT BREAK IT.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I was told by 2 private airports about the areas where they typically descend for landings. I found out my house is right under a giant air traffic jam. The main airport told me that under no circumstances could I fly in my backyard over 100'. Under 100, I could email him and wait for a reply, but it didn't sound like something that would happen. I simply found an area I can fly in to play with my toy, because you know... responsibility and stuff.. right?

Sent from my XT1254 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I was told by 2 private airports about the areas where they typically descend for landings. I found out my house is right under a giant air traffic jam. The main airport told me that under no circumstances could I fly in my backyard over 100'. Under 100, I could email him and wait for a reply, but it didn't sound like something that would happen. I simply found an area I can fly in to play with my toy, because you know... responsibility and stuff.. right?

How close to an airport are you? And what's the 3 letter airport code? Typically, the "no-fly-zone" for airports is only 5 miles, and only if they have a tower. If you are outside of 5 miles and your class G airspace (uncontrolled) then the tower has no day over what you can do up to 700 or 1200 ft depending on the airspace.

a94fe0d4b06115c0049fa48136f75d91.jpg

I'm surrounded..

How close to an airport are you? And what's the 3 letter airport code? Typically, the "no-fly-zone" for airports is only 5 miles, and only if they have a tower. If you are outside of 5 miles and your class G airspace (uncontrolled) then the tower has no day over what you can do up to 700 or 1200 ft depending on the airspace.

Here's my location and if your are correct about no zone for the helipad, that would explain the difference in the circle/edge marking. As you can see the airport I am referring to is in fact FDK, and whatever those three circles are, my house is inside all of them. And yes you can see the DC zone in the lower right.
IMG_0069a1.jpg

Here's my location and if your are correct about no zone for the helipad, that would explain the difference in the circle/edge marking. As you can see the airport I am referring to is in fact FDK, and whatever those three circles are, my house is inside all of them. And yes you can see the DC zone in the lower right.
View attachment 70729

You appear to be JUST within then range of the class D airspace. Unfortunately, it does go all the way to the surface, so you can't fly there during tower hours [emoji17]. Towers are VERY unlikely to give you permission to fly in their airspace even if you are in constant contact with them by radio.

The circles around the helipads aren't on the aeronautical maps. However they fall under the class D airspace of the airport during the day. Other than being aware of low flying helicopters, they have no effect on airspace or flight restrictions.

That's interesting Kenneth because it is not the way I interpreted the requirements, although it is moot since I have all the video I would ever want of my area (long before the FAA made any of these rules). The FAA app says that by law, I have to notify the operator or tower (it doesn't mention asking permission or getting approval). Regardless, I wouldn't want to interfere with their ops mainly because they have a LOT of students flying in and out, doing touch and gos, etc. I'd hate of screw with a newbie learning to fly.

But I'd like to end this exchange and get back on track to getting the poll responses. At this point I am actually wondering how many folks have in fact called the towers! I realize that it is an easy thing to avoid and a hard thing to catch the violators, but I'd still like to promote good behavior and making an attempt to follow the rules.

I call every time. Hawaii, Texas, Florida. Always have a great exchange and never had someone tell me not to fly.

Reactions: slothead
I call the Dutchess County Airport here in NY and they know me on a first name basis and always were pretty cool and appreciated me giving them the call. There are heliports around also,but be advised to try to stay within line of site and and fly responsibly.Keep your ears and eyes open and stay under the 400 ft level or lower if you hear an aircraft.

The small airport I live near has no tower but I'm still required to notify of course. Calling is so 2000's, I shoot them an email and always get a Thank You! reply back.

When I stopped in to introduce myself they mentioned there are a few others in the area that just send them a quick email, I include my FAA number, the approx time, the approx altitude and a small screenshot of Google Earth showing where I'll be flying in my email. Easy peasy.

Reactions: PageSide
When I talked to the tower at the airport is was by phone. I'm sorta old school like that.I actually talk to a guy in the tower.Its basically to let them know that I'm in the area.I told them where I was and in this case at a used car dealers place of business.I was doing him a favor and taking some still photos that he could put up on his website.I am not commercial,so no money was involved.Anyway I told the guy at the tower I would be no higher than 200ft and he assured me it was no problem.I had previously gave all my information to them so they know who I am. I think its best to comply with all the rules and maintain a good rapport with the tower guys since their primary job is safety for everyone.

Slothead I know you specifically mention calling, and I mentioned a couple posts up that I email, there is one other reason I prefer to email that I didn't mention above which is worth giving some thought.

If a problem ever does arise, say a neighbor calls the police, or what have you... I have very clear proof that I communicate with the airport and exactly what information I give them and when.

With a phone call you are relying on the other person to corroborate your story and accurately recall what you told him. It's basically your word against someone else's. With a phone call the only thing you can prove is when you may have called. No thanks.

That's just me though, I also drive with a dashcam too so there will never be a question of who did what in a car accident, I don't like relying on other peoples honesty and memory to get me out of a possible jam.

Last edited:
This is Hawkwind, That's cool if you want to email,that's your preference.I don't worry about the neighbors I've given them aerial shots of their properties and their using them for their desktops.Enjoy flying and love thy neighbor.

Got to hit the sack.Gonna be out with the snowblower in the morning.Suppose to get up to a foot or more.

Only time I needed to call was about a year ago. Person asked me when and where I would be flying and how high. He asked me to call back when I was done. Did not have any issues. I suspect these days every tower should know to expect calls. Posts here have shown mixed results but they seem to all know what the calls are about.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl