• They laughed at me

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • They asked for personal information

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • They told me to call someone else

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I am starting this thread only because I want to know what the responses from the flight industry is. I hijacked another thread with these questions/comments and apologize for doing so. My home is within three zones (one airport and two healthcare helipads) and I have yet to fly from home and notifying the airports.

Reactions: Sunnaroe
I've called six different towers over the past few months of flying and I've yet to get anyone to answer or return my call. Weekends, weekdays too. I call the numbers listed on airmap.com.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: uavflyr
The airport here doesn't have a control tower, and there is a hospital heliport. For the airport, I just call and leave a voice message on the airport manager's extension. For the hospital, I do the same for the CEO. I've actually flown from the hospital's heliport.

Hospital Helipad link...

Reactions: snowghost
While not officially flying yet I have made contact with a private airport that I'm within 5 miles of and am currently trying to locate the contact at State Police helipad (also within 5 miles of my home)..

Wanted to do that first to make sure that I do not have any issues in contacting them.

The private airport does not have a tower but appreciated a heads up call especially if I was going to be within 2 miles of their location. Not sure if a P4 will show up on radar of the regional airport thats about 7 miles away, even if I did fly up to the recommended max of 400 ft AGL. Chances are they will not be too concerned, since the areas I will be flying mostly are deeper in a valley well below their elevation.
Will take part in the survey once I actually get to fly and see how they receive the calls.

The airport here doesn't have a control tower, and there is a hospital heliport. For the airport, I just call and leave a voice message on the airport manager's extension. For the hospital, I do the same for the CEO. I've actually flown from the hospital's heliport.

Hospital Helipad link...
Link brings...
Page not found error

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I've called six different towers over the past few months of flying and I've yet to get anyone to answer or return my call. Weekends, weekdays too. I call the numbers listed on airmap.com.

I always get a ringing phone with no voicemail option or when I leave VM with my call back # I never receive a call back.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I am starting this thread only because I want to know what the responses from the flight industry is. I hijacked another thread with these questions/comments and apologize for doing so. My home is within three zones (one airport and two healthcare helipads) and I have yet to fly from home and notifying the airports.
I am in a similar situation. I'm hoping Santa Claus follows through with the promised P4 but in the meantime I'm within 5 miles of two airports and one hospital helipad. Slowly working my way through homework researching all aspects of the P. My previous experience was with a real toy. I called FAA today at the largest airport and asked what I had to do to fly outside my house not exceeding treetop level (to build up confidence). I was advised to call for clearance when ready and I could schedule multiple days in advance. Does anyone have any feedback on this?

Last edited:
The only time I've needed to do this so far was when I wanted to film at a place called Trearddur Bay on Anglesey in Wales. It's very close to RAF Valley, and in fact on the day I wanted to fly they were actually doing some training exercises.

I looked up the general number for RAF Valley, spoke to somebody who put me through to their Air Traffic Control, and explained what I wanted to do and where, explained that I would be flying below 400 feet, and approximately what time I would be flying. They had absolutely no problems whatsoever. She told me that she would make sure to inform the pilots of that fact a UAV could be flying at that time, and for them to just keep an eye open just in case. It was as simple as that.

I must say I was expecting different. In my mind I was expecting them to deny the request, or at the very least be awkward. But no, they were very friendly and helpful.

The only time I've needed to do this so far was when I wanted to film at a place called Trearddur Bay on Anglesey in Wales. It's very close to RAF Valley, and in fact on the day I wanted to fly they were actually doing some training exercises.

I looked up the general number for RAF Valley, spoke to somebody who put me through to their Air Traffic Control, and explained what I wanted to do and where, explained that I would be flying below 400 feet, and approximately what time I would be flying. They had absolutely no problems whatsoever. She told me that she would make sure to inform the pilots of that fact a UAV could be flying at that time, and for them to just keep an eye open just in case. It was as simple as that.

I must say I was expecting different. In my mind I was expecting them to deny the request, or at the very least be awkward. But no, they were very friendly and helpful.
In the US, according to rules I've read, and I'm just a novice, we have to get clearance from Federal Aeronautics Administration (FAA) to fly within 5 miles of an airport. I believe we need both airport and tower clearance. Where I want to learn to "fly" is in my yard and it's midway between two airports and close to at least one medical helipad. So, I'm overly cautious to be sure I do things correctly. I'm starting at the beginning to be sure I understand ground rules before Santa Claus drops the unit down my chimney in less than two weeks (I hope).

Reactions: slothead
In the US, according to rules I've read, and I'm just a novice, we have to get clearance from Federal Aeronautics Administration (FAA) to fly within 5 miles of an airport. I believe we need both airport and tower clearance. Where I want to learn to "fly" is in my yard and it's midway between two airports and close to at least one medical helipad. So, I'm overly cautious to be sure I do things correctly. I'm starting at the beginning to be sure I understand ground rules before Santa Claus drops the unit down my chimney in less than two weeks (I hope).
I think you need to re-read the rules. I'd recommend starting with Part 101, and then Part 107 when you get a commercial license and will be flying your drone for commercial purposes.

I have yet to read the rules but will try to do that today. The following statement from an FAA site is what I referred to. "Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to BOTH the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination." Am I not understanding this correctly?

I don't know what it was you read. It seems more prudent to go by the actual Federal Aviation Regulations, as in FAR Part 101.

I live within 5 miles of an airport. I call the tower before every time I fly and I've never had a problem. They are always happy that I called and I always end up talking to the tower for a bit. Nice people.

Reactions: Sunnaroe
My home is within three zones (one airport and two healthcare helipads)...

None of the above. The one time I got through to the BWI tower they were very nice and said "OK, fly your drone." But subsequent attempts to contact the tower have all failed. If you've ever visited an airport tower you know that they are very busy places. In the case of BWI I get an answering machine with the message that they'll call me back. They never do. So do I fly my drone, or not? Yes, I fly it. But I keep it relatively low—below the tallest trees—and I can hope that argument works if I am called on it. Any aircraft that is low enough to encounter my drone has already hit trees and/or houses. In any case, flying low suits my purposes in flying the drone.

I have yet to read the rules but will try to do that today. The following statement from an FAA site is what I referred to. "Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to BOTH the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination." Am I not understanding this correctly?
This is correct. The term "recreational" refers to hobbyists. If you go for your part 107 license, you're then taught where you can or cannot go as a "commercial" pilot in command which will be much more specific. The 5 mile rule is for everyone else as a precaution to keep people who may not know much about air traffic to stay far away from the airports.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20