What type of Tablet do you use

Reaction score
My firm is just starting a drone program for surveying and mapping and I've been asked to help set it up. We plan on purchasing P4P's but I'm curious which iPads others have found useful for these applications. I've heard iPad 2 Air have worked well but I've also heard other stories about them locking up in flight. Any recommendations?

Thanks

You can find a list of recommended and commonly used tablets here. My advice would be to choose a tablet that's not on the low end of the specs if you don't want to spend time applying tweaks to make it run better.

Reactions: Croman
Well i can tell you the route NOT to go... I fly a P3SE and started off with a basic android tablet (Samsung TAB E 9.6) that technically had the specs to work, but was woefully underpowered. Nothing worked well on it, the video transmission was just awful. I returned that and got an iPad 2017 version and it works very well. I like the larger size than the mini. I have lost signal on mine and had it not come back... TBH i cant say whether this was the iPads fault, or DJI GO, but as soon as I reloaded it all was perfect. When I have the drone close (within say 1000ft) i never have any lag, or choppy playback. I've done the iPad screen recording while flying with no issues either. Also, both DJI GO and Litchi have both run very well.

There are a couple of apps that we use consistently that are not on Android devices, even though I prefer them over iOS. The DJI GS Pro app is only on iOS and is a great mapping tool and the Hangar 360 app is only on iOS. I have an Android tablet as a backup and it tends to run Pix4DCapture better than iOS's version. Otherwise, Litchi, DJI Go 4, and Map Pilot are the others that we use and are available on both. As @dtmbizzle said, make sure that you get something powerful enough that works without stuttering. Also, it's not a bad idea to have some of your common apps on your phone in case something goes down in the field.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT