what to do ?

Reaction score
ok firstly to the p1ss takers.
i am sh1t at writing and not a clue how to write a letter and slightly dyslexic (spell check helps) so please dont comment about it !

i have been told after a recent hospital visit i have a 50/50 chance of loosing right leg below the knee
this is going to leave my quad unused for a fair bit leaving 5 very good batteries festering away for god knows how long
i wanted to get rid but wife insist i keep it
money is not a factor, its just going to make me sick to look at it and not be able to get out and use it
what would you do with it ?

I AM NOT SEEKING ANY SYMPATHY IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. IM 48 AND PAST THAT CRAP JUST LOOKING FOR INSPIRATION I SUPPOSE

put the batteries into storage voltage and pack it away till you get your mobility back, the batteries should be ok when your ready to get it out again, we should be well past software 3. whatever by then, who knows it might even get to a version where everything works as advertised and the phantom stays where you expect it to.

the risk is that drones will be banned by then except the ones controlled by dumb governments that are using them to murder civilians in the middle east .

As said above, put the batteries in storage mode. Then, grab yourself a nice mini-quad (You said money wasnt a factor ;)) And keep your skills in tact. If you fly that mini-quad once a day, even in a hospital room, you will come out of the experience a better pilot than you were before it.

Yep what they both said. It will be waiting for you when you are ready. Not giving sympathy but good luck, hope you are back at it quickly.

Hi,

Not sure what I could say that would offer more support than what your wife and family will provide for you. But hopefully both of us will be here after (if you do require surgery) to offer whatever support we can.
50/50 isn't terrible odds, just keep the faith and keep the Phantom. I think knowing it is there will help with your recovery time if surgery is needed. Make it one of your goals to get back flying again asap.

You might consider selling just the batteries if you don't think you will want to fly right away. But they should be fine if you leave them sit even for a few months. Just make sure you put them in something that will prevent them from getting damaged. I would suggest some LIPO bags and while unlikely to happen, just for safety put them where they could not cause a fire if one of them erupts in flames.

Best of luck to you!

robsquad said:
money is not a factor, its just going to make me sick to look at it and not be able to get out and use it

Smart wife.
The batteries should be fine for a few months
Don't let it make you sick to look at it, use it as motivation to do the Physical Therapy and get out of bed sooner.

Prop guards might be a good idea in the hospital room.
You don't want to cut any of those really important tubes they plug into you. :eek:

Good Luck.

Get a mini quad, and lots of batteries, and drive the nurses crazy.
Don't let the time in recuperation put you off, and don't sell the quad, there's no reason you can't keep flying after the surgery. I think I'd find a way to keep flying if they took both arms and both legs, I'd find a way. Use it to inspire you through all the times when you'll feel down. There will be plenty. It sounds like your wife is a wonderful person very alert to those down times, enjoy the support of your family and keep your head up as much as you can. Let them keep it up the rest of the time.
And store the batteries at 50% charge is supposed to be the way to treat them when not being used a while. Try that. When you're flying again, charge them and run them through the software check just to be sure.
All the best with it, and live vicariously through everyone here and their posts in the meantime.

Good luck their Rob, it's ok concern is not sympathy :) though it may be a bit deserved in this case, let us know how you got on okees. I like your dedication to the phantom, talk about above care and duty.

If I was a religious type I'd even do the deed, oh I am so will.

Don't part with your Quad- you may get to join our exclusive club.

We get to fly from the comfort of our mobility scooters- best bit is you get the wife to do the compass dance!

All the best to you- however it goes.

SteveMann said:
robsquad said:

Smart wife.
The batteries should be fine for a few months
Don't let it make you sick to look at it, use it as motivation to do the Physical Therapy and get out of bed sooner.

+100

Yeah don't listen to your wife. You -need- to sell the Phantom. I'll buy it but It's only worth a couple bucks but a couple bucks is a couple bucks. Additionally, I will take your drone-loving wife off your hands for you free of charge. You can ship both to me here on the East Coast as soon as you tell me where to PayPal you your two dollars.

:)

It'd torture you more if you sold the bird!! Keep her and keep yourself sane with a Blade Nano QX. Best wishes during your recovery.

I would shine my phantom, put new props on it, and place it on the mantle in a prominent location so I could see it every day. That would be my motivation to get back outside and fly! You could see the neighborhood without leaving your chair, which is one of my favorite things about flying...

Ditto on the battery comments, either way, and also getting a small drone to keep and improve your skills!

This is the type of thread that really helps get you off to a good day.

Yeah we all go thru stuff and community helps get us thru those moments. So many here have given positive suggestions that i only can ecko! Id leave it out for motivation but perhaps sell the batteries or just dont worry about them. Certainly get yourself a mini to keep your skills up and perhaps start a video blog or something to keep yourself busy but keep in mind your just a keyboard and internet connection away from "Community"

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl