What to do when DJI App crashes midflight

Reaction score
I was flying my p4p+ this evening and started doing a point of interest orbit as soon as I started it I got a message on my controller screen the app crashed asking if I wanted to close it. I didn't know if closing the app would make me lose control of the drone so I didn't close it. I tried to Pilot the drone back to me with manual control which I had but as soon as I let off the sticks it would try to fly back to its poi orbit.

Also during manual control I had no altitude control with the left stick. I flew it over a patch of bushes and tried dropping both sticks down and in to cut the motors and drop it in the brush but it did not respond to emergency shut down. My only other option to get it out of the sky was fly it into a tree and pray.

That was not as easy as it sounds because the collision avoidance was fighting me on letting me do that. I happened to get it to catch a branch and it got caught up in the leaves and hit the ground hard enough to break off one of the landing skids.

So all in all how should I have handled an app crash midflight while performing a "smart" flight maneuver?

Reactions: phantomAlex
So all in all how should I have handled an app crash midflight while performing a "smart" flight maneuver?
Losing the app doesn't lose control of the Phantom.
You can turn off your phone or tablet but still have full control.
Try pulling the cable sometime in controlled conditions to see how that works.
The easy way to disengage from the intelligent flight modes is to simply flick the switch back to P-GPS mode and you can then do whatever you want with the joysticks.

Even with this being the Plus model with the built in screen losing the app will have no effect? That's good to know thank you for your input. I feel like an idiot lol. Thank you again.

Restarting the app mid flight shouldn't be a problem, it will normally return to where it was and you can regain control.

Out of interest why did you not just wait for low battery and RTH, the orbit would have aborted and drone should have come home?

I was in a bit of a panic at the time and looking back that would have been better also.

I was flying my p4p+ this evening and started doing a point of interest orbit as soon as I started it I got a message on my controller screen the app crashed asking if I wanted to close it. I didn't know if closing the app would make me lose control of the drone so I didn't close it. I tried to Pilot the drone back to me with manual control which I had but as soon as I let off the sticks it would try to fly back to its poi orbit.

Also during manual control I had no altitude control with the left stick. I flew it over a patch of bushes and tried dropping both sticks down and in to cut the motors and drop it in the brush but it did not respond to emergency shut down. My only other option to get it out of the sky was fly it into a tree and pray.

That was not as easy as it sounds because the collision avoidance was fighting me on letting me do that. I happened to get it to catch a branch and it got caught up in the leaves and hit the ground hard enough to break off one of the landing skids.

Check your manual again. Using a 2 stick CSC to shut down the motors now takes 3 seconds - recent change from the immediate shutdown in previous FW. Not really an option for emergencies.

I have the Plus. My app crashed maybe twice (but not recently). The easiest solution is to reset the app with the button on top of the screen. You don't need to power down the controller itself.

someone asked me and I'm not shure, does anyone know about cell towers and how close you can fly.
Thank You TUCK

I have, occasionally, had connection issues when within 100 feet of a cell tower. Seemed more like a RC/Drone connect issue, once established it flew fine.

I was in a bit of a panic at the time and looking back that would have been better also.

Hey. Dont kick yourself too hard. I had EXACTLY the same issue this afternoon.. but over. . . Water.
I was also in Point of Interest mode, the DJIgo app stop, while in orbit mode and almost no control. **** thing was wondering around wires and fishing boats. Out over water l got it over a dock, over me. I should have emergency killed the engines l guess. The P4pro+ screen was black and useless, so the advice of pulling the cables, touching a button means nothing . I finally . After 3 tries got RTHome to work. and brought it down. Not happy. Anyway ths P4pro+ has DJIgo 4 issues and l am certain made worse when IntelFlight modes. Good luck.

I have the Plus. My app crashed maybe twice (but not recently). The easiest solution is to reset the app with the button on top of the screen. You don't need to power down the controller itself.

Hey Technocop. Good advice. What button do you mean? On the outside of the monitor, on the edge? Sort of to the right? I had no on screen options at all . What firmware do you have? ALso do you use IntelFlight modes? Have had some app crash issues on this new 'high tech' monitor and am regretting it Thank you much!.

Yes, the button on the top edge-right side of the screen itself.
I'm not sure of the number, but I'm running the latest firmware, as I keep my birds up to date.
I've not done a tremendous amount of IF mode flying, but it has not been an issue. Had a few minor issues early on (January-ish), but updates seem to have made things a lot better, for me at least.
I have not had an actual app crash in months.

Reactions: yo-dude
Yes, the button on the top edge-right side of the screen itself.
I'm not sure of the number, but I'm running the latest firmware, as I keep my birds up to date.
I've not done a tremendous amount of IF mode flying, but it has not been an issue. Had a few minor issues early on (January-ish), but updates seem to have made things a lot better, for me at least.
I have not had an actual app crash in months.

Thanks. Yeah I took my P4 out yesterday and did some tests with getting out of I Flight modes using a switch into Atti. ..no probs... also re-started re booted the monitor usig a long press on the button outside the screen. All worked fine. Thanks a bunch!

Restart the app. No big deal. You can also try unplugging the cable to your viewing device and plugging back in. This usually works for me.

Restart the app. No big deal. You can also try unplugging the cable to your viewing device and plugging back in. This usually works for me.
Hi...thanks ..But with P4-Pro+ you cant unplug a cable.. thank you!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94