What to do about cracks?

Reaction score
Hey guys, My P4 is just over an month old. It has never been abused or crashed. What advice would you give on this? Send for repairs, try to repair myself, or see how long it lasts? I worry about DJI's customer service. I feel for sure this is a manufacturer defect. Thanks for your input.
9ef53691844ac6dafe059075ee63cce7.jpg
924e490fbb398ad88706380cd2d3a4d0.jpg
819d75678950ce13eb303e07c1c7a277.jpg
f5782f18537b70923f0a911de9616706.jpg
81f0422d2fa1b9996a0eb0db7491cae6.jpg

I would return for surface cracks. You can see there aren't any skuff marks on it. I hit a tree with my P3S and it has scares all over it. It even opened the seam, I had to glue. It operates just as good as my P4. I wouldn't continue flying it, it could get worse, then when you have a small crash. They won't believe you.

I hope they repair my aircraft and don't send a refurb. I have a lot of trust built up with this drone.

You are correct in not trusting DJI customer service! I'll never send them anything else. They lie about everything. They won't return calls or answer emails and when they do, they are careful not to tell you anything. AND you will never see your drone again, you'll get somebody's crashed drone! Go to their forum and read up on them! It is a real eye opening experience!
Jim

I've always thought if I started seeing cracks on mine I'd fix them myself since like you I've built up trust with my drone. I'd hate to send it in and get someone else's problem in return, although you have quite a few cracks there and some look especially problematic. Like the ones that look like the whole motor is about to crack right off, I'd probably send it in for those. That sucks, especially since you've got yourself a nice looking limited edition black model.

Last edited:
Oh oh, this is the first I've seen of someone having this problem with the black version.:fearscream:

I was hoping ours were immune to this .:rolleyes:

I'm just curious. Do you happen to fly in cold conditions (35F degrees and below, and use sport/atti mode to really get the Phantom whipping around?

Have you tried returning it to Best Buy?

Hey guys, My P4 is just over an month old. It has never been abused or crashed. What advice would you give on this? Send for repairs, try to repair myself, or see how long it lasts? I worry about DJI's customer service. I feel for sure this is a manufacturer defect. Thanks for your input.

If you bought it on Amazon you could call customer service and see if you could return it. They allowed me to return almost 6 weeks after purchase last May. Full refund.

Thanks for your help guys. Best Buy was a joke. They pretty much said sorry about your luck. I have flown in some cold weather. But I wouldn't say any extremes. But I do like to fly fast and aggressive. So it looks like I may have to send it back to DJI. Has anyone purchased the housing and switched it out themselves? I thought of that. But fear I may ruin what's left. I do have a drowned white P4 that I could use as a donor. But this one is only a month and. A half old. I would hate to ruin both.

I just sent my P4 back for a new shell under warranty, they received it yesterday. We'll see how long it takes. Last time I sent it in I got it back 9 days later, a brand new craft, no refurb. However, I'm only 30mi from the DJI repair location in Carson, CA. UPS ground is overnight.

Reactions: Jshank
When you send it back to DJI, I wonder if they are prepared to replace a black shell. Only BestBuy sold these black birds. I would bet money DJI doesn't have black shells to replace them. You might want to ask DJI that question and be prepared to accept a white shell, instead of waiting a long time for the repair with a black shell.

Optionally, buy another brand new Black P4 from a different Best Buy store that doesn't know you. The next day take the cracked one back for a refund using the new receipt, saying this drone is junk, after one day flying it's already cracking. The end result is DJI eats the cost, similar to shipping it back, except you get a replacement quicker.

I've never seen a P4 crack so many places, so quick. I'm wondering if the black shells are more brittle.

Personally if it was my quad copter I would just order a new shell and put all the parts in myself, after being on this forum for a few months I realize I would not rely on DJI for nothing! That is if Best Buy doesn't take care of it.

I just sent my P4 back for a new shell under warranty, they received it yesterday. We'll see how long it takes. Last time I sent it in I got it back 9 days later, a brand new craft, no refurb. However, I'm only 30mi from the DJI repair location in Carson, CA. UPS ground is overnight.

They know you're close enough to stalk them LOL

Reactions: chadrob30
You are correct in not trusting DJI customer service! I'll never send them anything else. They lie about everything. They won't return calls or answer emails and when they do, they are careful not to tell you anything. AND you will never see your drone again, you'll get somebody's crashed drone! Go to their forum and read up on them! It is a real eye opening experience!
Jim
I sent my drone in for service before I send it of I used a small dental mirror you know the little round one to mark the inside with a sharpie magic marker on the back side of a piece of plastic so it couldn't be seen when looking inside casually my drone was only flown approximately less Tha 45 minutes at the time I was assured I was sent a brand new drone from customer service and the paperwork the sent said they replaced my unit with a brand new one it even had the new stickers on it you remove when you get your drone didn't think anything more then I remembered I marked my drone I checked my mark was there I don't get a new or even refurbished drone

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I just got my P3S back from shell cracks. It took a month. Do the online ticket since it is under warranty. After doing the ticket, do all coordination and communication over the phone, but call at off peak times. I had no issues that way.

Best buy here in Canada tells you when it's bought "return to DJI if box is opened, best buy won't accept otherwise". Only way they'll take it back is if the box is still factory sealed with receipt.

At risk of being torched, I'll say I was lucky with DJI. They turned my bird around quick. No issues. I had a noisy motor, shipped it back in the original styro case, and I had it back inside 3 weeks from date of shipping it out to them. No problems at all, no missing parts, came back in the original case i sent to them.

That being said, I believe my bird was a refurb. It was named "bobs drone" in the app. However it looked BRAND NEW and has flown fine for me.

I would say it's not a universal truth that DJI will be a nightmare to deal with, but much more likely that their service is hit or miss and VERY inconsistent. Your mileage will absolutely vary.

Thanks for your help guys. Best Buy was a joke. They pretty much said sorry about your luck. I have flown in some cold weather. But I wouldn't say any extremes. But I do like to fly fast and aggressive. So it looks like I may have to send it back to DJI. Has anyone purchased the housing and switched it out themselves? I thought of that. But fear I may ruin what's left. I do have a drowned white P4 that I could use as a donor. But this one is only a month and. A half old. I would hate to ruin both.

If it were me, and with what I've learned about DJI customer service over my 3.5 months of ownership, I'd purchase the parts and do the work myself.

I too have the black (limited additions I call it), and have a crack starting on my landing skid from a minor accident on my second flight.

I contacted the genius's at DJI and long story short, and 2 weeks later, they said I should send it in but they were not sure if they could replace the skid with another black one.:confused:

What a joke!

Anyways if you do decide on doing the repairs yourself, and want to spend the extra $$ to get the black parts, here is the only seller I have found in the states who stock them (albeit twice the price of the white version).

DJI Phantom 4 Service Parts

And there are a couple videos on youtube regarding the switch out, and it doesn't seem all that to complicated.

Plus then you really get to know your drone.....;)

I sent my drone in for service before I send it of I used a small dental mirror you know the little round one to mark the inside with a sharpie magic marker on the back side of a piece of plastic so it couldn't be seen when looking inside casually my drone was only flown approximately less Tha 45 minutes at the time I was assured I was sent a brand new drone from customer service and the paperwork the sent said they replaced my unit with a brand new one it even had the new stickers on it you remove when you get your drone didn't think anything more then I remembered I marked my drone I checked my mark was there I don't get a new or even refurbished drone

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Why all the cloak and dagger? Just check the serial #

Best buy here in Canada tells you when it's bought "return to DJI if box is opened, best buy won't accept otherwise". Only way they'll take it back is if the box is still factory sealed with receipt.
That's the worst support I've heard from Best Buy. In the US you can return product within a period of time, even if it's opened, especially if it's faulty. I think Best Buy's policy in the US is 15 days.

Reactions: Jimmers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94