What to buy to use as a screen on my P4P?

Reaction score
I've been reading some info on here about tablets to use with my P4P when it arrives. Even though i'm an apple guy, Android isn't a turn off for me since i've used that platform before.

I've narrowed it down to either buying a Google Nexus 9 or an Ipad mini with cellular. I'm probably looking at around the same price range for those 2 choices, so that's not an issue.

What's the recommended or liked platform? I know on some apps, android has more freedom than apple does.

Other than those 2 choices, are there any other options that I can look into without breaking the bank?

Thanks
Vic

Nvidia shield, great graphic/processing power. Affordable for the performance level it gives so well. HDMI out too.

Reactions: VP6799
If I need it or data, I tether my phone to it. I fly with it all the time and never have a issue.

I was actually just looking at that one also. It's not a bad price at $200 for a new one.

GPS is my only question now. Is it really needed or can I get away without it?
I think GPS is only needed if you are flying certain Follow Me Modes VP6799. I have an Ipad Air 2 and have loved it. It does not have GPS or cellular serv.

It never crashes, it keeps up with the video of the Phantom, its quick, it's size is good.

I've used it in Follow me. It does not have a barometer, but that doesn't hurt the flight.

Thanks for the info, I think the Nvidia K1 is the winner. I like the fact that I can pop out the sd card and slap it in the tab to view the video. Plus the HDMI out can come in handy also.

I get free mobile hotspot with my cell phone, so I can always ether it if needed.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Thanks for the info, I think the Nvidia K1 is the winner. I like the fact that I can pop out the sd card and slap it in the tab to view the video. Plus the HDMI out can come in handy also.

I get free mobile hotspot with my cell phone, so I can always ether it if needed.
That's a good choice for Android, lots of users like it. The Nexus 9 may be a problem, I've heard others complain of incompatibility, even though it's Googles flagship tablet. Apparently the Nexus is not on DJI's approved list. FYI, only iOS version of GO has 2X lossless digital zoom on P4, but there is no zoom support for P4P for iOS or Android, yet.

I've narrowed it down to either buying a Google Nexus 9 or an Ipad mini with cellular
Both work well with DJI GO. If you go with an iPad Mini, make sure you get the iPad Mini 2/3/4. You can find a list of other commonly used devices here.

Is GPS on the tablet a necessity?
It's only needed if you want to use the Follow Me feature or be able to reset the home point to your current location after taking off.

FYI, tethering to a phone will not share the GPS data.

Both work well with DJI GO. If you go with an iPad Mini, make sure you get the iPad Mini 2/3/4. You can find a list of other commonly used devices here.

It's only needed if you want to use the Follow Me feature or be able to reset the home point to your current location after taking off.

FYI, tethering to a phone will not share the GPS data.

That's the list I was using to get my choices narrowed. Worked out great.

For the GPS, I know the phone won't share GPS data to the tablet, But if the tablet has GPS built in, will that work?

So far I love the Nvidia Shield although I'm new to all this I really haven't had any reliability issues yet. And it's FAST! Even managed to get the Google satellite imagery maps to load on the DJI GO4 app that everyone is having problems with. HDMI out and great gaming you can't go wrong. And also as you said, it is way cool to stick the SD card right out of the bird into the Shield to see what it looks like then decide if you need to go get more camera shots.

I'm using an iPad Pro 9.7 and love it. Non cellular, hotspot for map data before I take off and then switch hotspot off. I can't recommend it enough.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: TomCats
So far I love the Nvidia Shield although I'm new to all this I really haven't had any reliability issues yet. And it's FAST! Even managed to get the Google satellite imagery maps to load on the DJI GO4 app that everyone is having problems with. HDMI out and great gaming you can't go wrong. And also as you said, it is way cool to stick the SD card right out of the bird into the Shield to see what it looks like then decide if you need to go get more camera shots.

How did you get the Google Maps Satellite Images to load??

Jack

I originally wanted an iPad, but the price tag is what drew me away. $300 for a tablet dedicated to the P4P is a lot for me right now. The Nvidia Shield ended up costing me $129 on amazon for a brand new one. I have an iPhone also, so i'll be able to compare the two platforms. If I like the apple one better, i'll upgrade to an iPad down the road.

I originally wanted an iPad, but the price tag is what drew me away. $300 for a tablet dedicated to the P4P is a lot for me right now. The Nvidia Shield ended up costing me $129 on amazon for a brand new one. I have an iPhone also, so i'll be able to compare the two platforms. If I like the apple one better, i'll upgrade to an iPad down the road.
You'll probably "want" the 7.9" CrystalSky display down the road. SuperBright! The question is..... can we afford it?

Reactions: PunaPhantom

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka