What should I have done with this powered paraglider?

Reaction score
Just dreaming away, looked to my right and did not see it. Went back to the event on the beach and this powered paraglider flew right in front of me.
Is it a manned aircraft? I was so tempted to follow it at a distance. I was tempeted to get close but that would have scared the pilot and would not have been safe. What would you have done?
Should I have just got right out of the way and took a big loop home, it was flying towards my take off point and it was 2 kilometers away?

There is NO Question that manned aircraft have ROW (right of way) over UASs.

There is also a hierarchy for manned aircraft operating among each other.

Below is a link to one such document explaining these requirements.

Right-Of-Way

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Seems to me you were breaking the law even being in that location. You say the paraglider flew right in front of you and was 2 kilometers out and heading in the direction of your take off point. Australia drone regs stipulate that you must keep visual line of site at all times. Your post suggests that you were nowhere near being able to keep your drone in sight and be aware of the drone's surroundings.

Reactions: N017RW
I think I would have loved to see the video also. If I meet the guy again I will approach him and ask him or her, If they would mind me videoing them with a drone, how far they want me to be from them and in the end it would be between me and the guy.
As long as no one else is in danger. I would not feel comfortable flying over people but I think that would be fair enough. We could both benefit, they would get a cool vid of their flight I would get a great kick out of doing it, and you people would enjoy watching it.
If they said no way, I would not launch or fly anywhere near them.

I think I would have loved to see the video also. If I meet the guy again I will approach him and ask him or her, If they would mind me videoing them with a drone, how far they want me to be from them and in the end it would be between me and the guy.
As long as no one else is in danger. I would not feel comfortable flying over people but I think that would be fair enough. We could both benefit, they would get a cool vid of their flight I would get a great kick out of doing it, and you people would enjoy watching it.
If they said no way, I would not launch or fly anywhere near them.
It is my understanding that even if you are in agreement, you cannot fly around a manned aircraft. I believe CASA will frown upon this.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I think I would have loved to see the video also

Did you not create and post the video to begin with? Have I totally missed the boat here?

Did you not create and post the video to begin with? Have I totally missed the boat here?
The video is attached to the OP but shows as unavailable to me.

Reactions: BigAl07
BigA107 from the point of view of the powered paraglider.
3rd0f5, clean out your browser cache, restart you puter if those don't work try another browser.

BigA107 from the point of view of the powered paraglider.
3rd0f5, clean out your browser cache, restart you puter if those don't work try another browser.
If you are refering about the video, I can't watch it on 2 PCs, tablet and phone. I believe either the video wasn't uploaded properly or I am cursed. Perhaps you listed the video as private, instead of unlisted? If so, we won't be able to see it unless you invite us.

You are right Ansia, I went and looked at it and it showed private view only. I am sure I switched it to public, I have no idea what happened there.
Try again and let me know.

That worked for me.

I liked the video just not with following the PG. If he turned back into you there might have been a conflict but there wasn't so all if good :)

You are right Ansia, I went and looked at it and it showed private view only. I am sure I switched it to public, I have no idea what happened there.
Try again and let me know.
You know. You fly in a very beautiful area. You should consider investing in some ND filters. That way you would remove the over exposed sandand get some gorgeous shots.

Thanks John..i finally was able to view it.....I'm going to stay quiet on the question.....But i will say this : > What a beautiful beach and the color of the water is really pretty....that powered hang glider must have had a exciting flight parallel to the wonderful shore line.

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94