Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

1. phantomnoobpilot

Upgrading from a P3A, the video downlink quality is really day and night difference for me, but it comes at a cost though, reduced range.

The 2mbps downlink bitrate on the P3A looks grainy as shiet but at least I can go on and on and on without drops in connection for long distances.

I set the downlink bitrate at 10mbps just to see the difference and boy, it is much crisper and sharper but I got frequent hiccups in the video downlink the further I went, and also occasional "weak image transmission" messages which is rather frustrating, but not complete signal loss though. I see these signs as a warning the further I went and made a U-turn back as I'm afraid I'll lose my FPV completely if I go any further.

So back to the question; what's the furthest you guys went with the downlink bitrate set to the max?

It says 0.7km in the app, that's just a rough estimate I guess, I wanna know how far you guys can go with those settings.

2. phantomnoobpilot

Nobody tried testing?

3. frands1

I wanted to try to set for 4mbps and see if it improves the range significantly, but I realized for changing that you have to use channels manually. If I switch back to auto, it will gray out that option and when I come back to it again it's all the way up to 10mbps again.
    Am I doing it wrong?

4. bradbrok

No, that is right, it automatically will select channel and bitrate on its own according to what's necessary. The farthest I believe I have gone with 10Mbps was only 1000m, and that seemed about right. I started to get choppy video feed, so I turned it down to 4Mbps and went another 1000m without issue. This was in clear LOS with 32 channel config, on one of the higher channels.

Although I think this does merit some further testing to see how far it can be pushed.

frands1 likes this.
  5. phantomnoobpilot

1000m is kinda decent enough given that i'm not a range junkie.

Wonder how much further you could push it to go if you slip on a windsurfer

6. StevenQX

I usually keep my CE P3A on 6mbps, quality in mine is perfect, no blocks or others artifacts. This morning i flew 1km+ without any issue, i come back just because there was nothing more to capture in the path...

7. StevenQX

The main problem is that if you have now a last generation p3p, both video transmission and rc range have less power.

8. phantomnoobpilot

isn't P3A limited to just 2mbps?

9. WWK888

It seems my P4 default setting is 6mbps. Whenever I change it in the manual mode then go back to auto is is set at 6mbps.

10. StevenQX

Absolutely no, at least in my dji go. I can go until 10mbps and the range prevision is reduced when i move the slide. But my fpv is cristal clear 720p...

11. phantomnoobpilot

that is odd. i moved the slider to 10 when i use my P3A and i get the same crappy blurness. I only can see a major difference when i'm on my P4

12. StevenQX

I really don't know why, I've not yet seen a p4 fpv but seeing a p3p fpv i can't see any differences. Fpv quality has never been a problem for me. Moreover in mine there is no way to have 2mbps, minimum is 4...

13. FredzMaxxUAV

Approved Vendor

P3A is 2 Mbps fixed. DJI Go setting does nothing at all. It's there for the P3P and has no function for the P3A.

14. Tobrouk

I also get about 1k with 10 mbps...

15. Phantomfreak

Good info, two questions.. Once I'm in the Go app, where is the setting to change the downlink from 10 to 2mbps? I cant find it. I am using a P4. Also I am interested in the 32 channel mod, is this a simple setting that I can change in the app, or is it a more involved mod that requires software or firmware hacks, or opening the remote up?

16. Sinisalo

I got a half mile with the bitrate set to 10mbps over salt flats and a lake, same day and same site I changed to 2mbps and it flew over 2 miles but I had to come back because headwind was draining my battery and I wanted to land at 35%

17. John Locke

I think you mean 4mbps, that's the lowest setting on P4 and P3P.

18. John Locke

Click the HD icon at the top right area of the screen. With that you should see "TRANSMISSION QUALITY" slider bar that lets you change the speed. I think you need set your channel in that screen to a custom channel to see the slider bar. Usually ch#20 is least busy for most places I go.

Look at post #37 in this thread, to learn about getting 32 channels, assuming you have an iPad.

19. StevenQX

I read about that but even if my cached dji go video is 2.6mbps my fpv feedback is far away better than that, even not fairly comparable. I assume that if the bitrate of the cached video is 2.6mbps, the fpv i see could not be that mbps.

How much bitrate does the p3p cached video have?

This explain what i said. It's a post on related thread here on this forum. As you can see as i wrote before everything is like the pro. I did last flights all at 6mbps, infact all my cached video are around 2.5mbps. I'm sure if i set 10mbps I'll get the same results as the user below with the p3p, i mean 5mbps cached video.

[​IMG]

Ps: my p3a is a first model, the one with better video and rc signal power. 323A.

After reading all the old thread I'll make a test next flight...

#19 StevenQX, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  20. Sinisalo

oops, yep you are are right John