What is your workaround if the Go App won't let you fly?

While the "G" may mean global that does not mean you get the same number of satellites regardless of where you launch. Usually I get 10 to 15 satellites(P3P), but there have been some areas such as the bottom of valleys where I only got 7 or 8 satellites to start until I get high enough. I don't remember ever finding myself in an area with only 3 satellites.

Even in my house (wood frame) while doing an IMU calibration I get 7 or more satellites.

The OP (P3A, which also uses GPS/Glonass) may be launching from the bottom of a deep canyon or an area surrounded by tall buildings or other tall metal structures.

Reactions: Falcon900
Hi KennyJr, thank you. I used to have a sat phone in the Kimberlies of West Australian and there are numerous areas where Sat signals where only available at certain times. As for why we only get down to no signals here has got me puzzled. It is a flat area and no real mountains. There is however a large wind farm nearby. Fly safe

Because they make some of the best UAVs for a very nice price point.

Personally, I live around DC, right on the border of the DC NFZ. The GEO system is badly broken around here, and areas right outside of the NFZ are "broken" to my P3P. It wont take off, or will autoland after a few seconds of flight. This is frustrating, as I already have to drive a few minutes to get out of the NFZ, and I found myself driving a few minutes more, and a few minutes more, etc. etc.

I ended up downgrading to 1.7 and doing the firmware flight param modification. Good bye NFZ hassles. I coughed up the money for Litchi and deleted GO from my phone. DJI will never tough this drone again.
Must be annoying I agree. But obviously you understand that the DJI NFZ are based on the FAA or CAA airspace in our case; they don't arbitrarily devise and implement them.

Hi KennyJr, thank you. I used to have a sat phone in the Kimberlies of West Australian and there are numerous areas where Sat signals where only available at certain times. As for why we only get down to no signals here has got me puzzled. It is a flat area and no real mountains. There is however a large wind farm nearby. Fly safe
Sat phones do not use the GPS/Glonass systems for communications. You cannot use one to evaluate the other, regardless of the location or terrain.

Hi Falcon900, Your right, my bad, the coverage also has to do with your particular provider. Have been involved with GPS for 25 years in the marine, air,land and rescue fields I just might have a slight understanding of the GPS system. Lack of signals here is why I spent a lot of time learning to fly. Anyway safe and crashless flying.

Last edited:
Must be annoying I agree. But obviously you understand that the DJI NFZ are based on the FAA or CAA airspace in our case; they don't arbitrarily devise and implement them.

Incorrect. I do not have 107, but have a considerable amount of experience looking at nautical charts, etc. I can look at these FAA charts and understand what is going on.

The 15 mile NFZ around DC is not a perfect circle. There are defined arcs in certain areas that cut into the 15 mile radius. I think that DJI NFZs are based on circles. As a result, there are a few areas in DJIs "DC NFZ" that are clear on the chart, but DJI cannot exempt because of the above stated fact about circular NFZs.

In addition, DJI implemented a slightly larger "Enhanced Warning Zone" that is slightly larger than the FAA NFZ. My P3P will not fly in the enhanced warning zone at all, and I have submitted a ticket to DJI about it. Their solution is to give me an individual unlock, but that only works if you have an iOS device, which I do not. Note: The enhanced warning zone is not on any FAA chart or NOTAM.

I think DJI goes full idiot around DC due to the fact that someone drunkingly crashed a P2 onto the lawn of the White House a few years ago.

I live two minutes from the edge of the NFZ, but I need to drive 15 to get into an area that the broken *** GEO system will let me fly. That is why I hacked my drone and did away with the NFZ BS.

Hi Falcon900, Your right, my bad, the coverage also has to do with your particular provider. Have been involved with GPS for 25 years in the marine, air,land and rescue fields I just might have a slight understanding of the GPS system. Lack of signals here is why I spent a lot of time learning to fly. Anyway safe and crashless flying.
As a matter of fact i have used gps all over the world for many years. What you are saying doesnt add up at all.
Gps is a global positioning system and if you understood how the sats are arranged you'd understand its the same coverage everywhere

Meta, until you have any idea what you are talking why don't you fade away. Not the slightest bit interest in your more of your illinformed comments.

Incorrect. I do not have 107, but have a considerable amount of experience looking at nautical charts, etc. I can look at these FAA charts and understand what is going on.

The 15 mile NFZ around DC is not a perfect circle. There are defined arcs in certain areas that cut into the 15 mile radius. I think that DJI NFZs are based on circles. As a result, there are a few areas in DJIs "DC NFZ" that are clear on the chart, but DJI cannot exempt because of the above stated fact about circular NFZs.

In addition, DJI implemented a slightly larger "Enhanced Warning Zone" that is slightly larger than the FAA NFZ. My P3P will not fly in the enhanced warning zone at all, and I have submitted a ticket to DJI about it. Their solution is to give me an individual unlock, but that only works if you have an iOS device, which I do not. Note: The enhanced warning zone is not on any FAA chart or NOTAM.

I think DJI goes full idiot around DC due to the fact that someone drunkingly crashed a P2 onto the lawn of the White House a few years ago.

I live two minutes from the edge of the NFZ, but I need to drive 15 to get into an area that the broken *** GEO system will let me fly. That is why I hacked my drone and did away with the NFZ BS.

With respect, you are talking out of your backside and if you really cannot see the safety benefits of the NFZ's, as opposed to taking it as some kind of reduction of personal freedom by DJI, because you can't fly outside your home and you have to take a drive to fly safely, then you seriously need some help. Reason? Well, it's because it will be an idiot, rather like you, who's hacked and wound-back GO that will down an aircraft, because they'll be flying in a BS NFZ.

Meta, and you have been all over the world to test this theory have you. When you do then maybe you can make an informed comment. Why do you think that DJI themselves inform you that you require at least 6 GPS signals to use their drones.
WOW!...I am at a loss for words.
Are you a flat earther?

With respect, you are talking out of your backside and if you really cannot see the safety benefits of the NFZ's, as opposed to taking it as some kind of reduction of personal freedom by DJI, because you can't fly outside your home and you have to take a drive to fly safely, then you seriously need some help. Reason? Well, it's because it will be an idiot, rather like you, who's hacked and wound-back GO that will down an aircraft, because they'll be flying in a BS NFZ.

Did you miss the part of my post where I stated I don't have a problem with the NFZ, and gladly drove to get outside it? I actually did that for a while with my P3S.

What I do have a problem with is that on my P3P, the NFZ is badly broken/poorly implemented, and DJI fully admits that. They told me they would fix it in future releases of fw, but who knows if that would ever happen as the p3a/p is all but dead.

And No, I can use the most recent version of GO just fine with my modified setup , but I choose not too (i use litchi). Basically, DJI will never touch or see this aircraft again. It is also satisfying to know that DJI has zero control.over the product I paid for.

What really makes me lol about people like you who praise the NFZ system like it is some universal fail safe is that you guys fail to realize there are tons of other drones that don't have NFZ crap baked in like DJI does. Are they as nice as a DJI product? No. Would it do the job if someone needed it to do something illegal in an NFZ? Yea.

It is the same thing with gun control nuts, they want to ban every type of firearm on the market but they fail to realize that if someone really wants to sow havoc, they will resort to driving a truck through a crowd of people, etc.

Meta, until you have any idea what you are talking why don't you fade away. Not the slightest bit interest in your more of your illinformed comments.
I've been using gps for over 20 years all over the world but you only have to look up gps on google to see that you are either the most ignorant person around or you're trolling. Thinking that satphone uses the same sats as gps gives a big clue about your "experience"

Reactions: TeeJayN
Did you miss the part of my post where I stated I don't have a problem with the NFZ, and gladly drove to get outside it? I actually did that for a while with my P3S.

What I do have a problem with is that on my P3P, the NFZ is badly broken/poorly implemented, and DJI fully admits that. They told me they would fix it in future releases of fw, but who knows if that would ever happen as the p3a/p is all but dead.

And No, I can use the most recent version of GO just fine with my modified setup , but I choose not too (i use litchi). Basically, DJI will never touch or see this aircraft again. It is also satisfying to know that DJI has zero control.over the product I paid for.

What really makes me lol about people like you who praise the NFZ system like it is some universal fail safe is that you guys fail to realize there are tons of other drones that don't have NFZ crap baked in like DJI does. Are they as nice as a DJI product? No. Would it do the job if someone needed it to do something illegal in an NFZ? Yea.

It is the same thing with gun control nuts, they want to ban every type of firearm on the market but they fail to realize that if someone really wants to sow havoc, they will resort to driving a truck through a crowd of people, etc.

I suggest you go back and read your own posts and see how disparaging you are about the system. After all, you had such a problem with it, you implemented a workaround, didn't you and moaned because you had to drive 15 miles so you could fly? And yes, there are a number of other manufacturers who don't have NFZ implemented and somehow, you see this as a good thing but I think it's DJI taking the lead on safety, that's all, and fact is the vast majority of DJI pilots do not have a issue with it. And, as pointed out by HWCM, you still have to register litchi on the DJI servers, so I presume they still have flight info uploaded to them.... who knows.
Oh and how surprising that you're not a supporter of gun control; I mean there are only 30,000 individuals killed and another 70,000 injured each year in the USA - yeah, you're right, why would those "gun control nuts" even attempt to reduce that horrific number with some simple checks at time of purchase. Anyway, I'm wasting my time on an ignoramus so I'll back out of this now...

I suggest you go back and read your own posts and see how disparaging you are about the system. After all, you had such a problem with it, you implemented a workaround, didn't you and moaned because you had to drive 15 miles so you could fly? And yes, there are a number of other manufacturers who don't have NFZ implemented and somehow, you see this as a good thing but I think it's DJI taking the lead on safety, that's all, and fact is the vast majority of DJI pilots do not have a issue with it. And, as pointed out by HWCM, you still have to register litchi on the DJI servers, so I presume they still have flight info uploaded to them.... who knows.
Oh and how surprising that you're not a supporter of gun control; I mean there are only 30,000 individuals killed and another 70,000 injured each year in the USA - yeah, you're right, why would those "gun control nuts" even attempt to reduce that horrific number with some simple checks at time of purchase. Anyway, I'm wasting my time on an ignoramus so I'll back out of this now...
The lead on safety? Lol!

DJI didn't give a **** about NFZ until a phantom crashed on the grounds of the White House. Do you know how much bad press that for DJI? Do do.understand that bad press == bad sales, right?

****, I don't blame them for going NFZ crazy, as it will keep their name out of the news.

I've been using gps for over 20 years all over the world but you only have to look up gps on google to see that you are either the most ignorant person around or you're trolling. Thinking that satphone uses the same sys as gps gives a big clue about your "experience"

While satphones and GPS use two different systems, they do share one trait, satellites. While they both use different frequencies, those frequencies are close enough that what would interfere with one would likely interfere with the other.

I know from personal experience that the number of GPS satellites I see in Go/Litchi depends on where I launch from. When I launch from an open field near here I get between 10-15 satellites. When I launch from my sister-in-laws, surrounded by woods and mountains, I get 7-10 satellites until I clear the trees and it goes to 10-12. There is a deep valley about 10 minutes NNW of here where I can't get enough Satellites for the Phantom to get a GPS lock, only 4-5.

The OP stated he is in a relatively open area so I would think he'd get more satellites. Perhaps it's terrain, or electromagnetic interference from the wind farm, or he might have a defective GPS receiver in the Phantom. The point is we're not there so we don't know.

Where I live has limited GPS signals (like 3 signals this morning)

There are two places on earth with poor GPS/GLONASS reception: The polar regions. Unless you live in a slot canyon or on Antartica, something's wrong with your bird.

SB

Last edited:
While satphones and GPS use two different systems, they do share one trait, satellites. While they both use different frequencies, those frequencies are close enough that what would interfere with one would likely interfere with the other
You only need to bounce off one sat for sat phone.
The satphone sats are in a completely different orbit and distance from earth.
The GPS sats are arranged like this:
ConstellationGPS.gif

The sats are moving all the time and the earth is rotating inside the "birdcage" making for proper global coverage regardless of where you are (except for high latitude polar areas).
The only way that you have less sat availability that everyone else, is to reduce the area of sky that your receiver sees, by being in a canyon, indoors, under forest canopy etc.

There are two places on earth with poor GPS/GLONASS reception: The polar regions. Unless you live in a slot canyon or on Antartica, something's wrong with your bird.

SB
You still get the same coverage of satellites unless you are physically blocked by structures like mountains, valleys etc. The reason why Quads fly poorly at the polar caps is to do with the magnetic compass system and NOT the GPS.

You still get the same coverage of satellites unless you are physically blocked by structures like mountains, valleys etc. The reason why Quads fly poorly at the polar caps is to do with the magnetic compass system and NOT the GPS.

Mako:

I stand corrected.

5.%20%20GPS.jpg

SB

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart