What is the coolest/neatest mod you've seen/bought/or heard of?

Cable ties to replace the plastic drop pins on the gimble board vibration dampers.

I haven't seen anything else that might improve performance without a weight penalty (reduced flight time). Battery mods excepted.
This works? And you think it's more stable or something? What's the purpose? I'm intrigued.

:D:D

Yeah, just wait until Graphene becomes more common and we'll have a serious CF replacement to drool on :D

I'm attracted by CF's the low weight, high strenght and varied, versatile application. And the nice looks of course. To be honest I like other "exquisite" materials as well, such as titanium, rare alloys and the like. But most are difficult to find or deal with, of just too expensive, unlike CF.

There isn't much that can't be done or improved mechanically and visually with CF, and it's amazing that pretty much anyone can make stuff from it. I've got a lot stuff from CF as well and can't get tired of it :p
My Leatherman Charge, never leaves the house without me, belted to it.

Yes, yes it is, titanium.....

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirty Bird
This works? And you think it's more stable or something? What's the purpose? I'm intrigued.
More or less stable is not the consideration here. The original drop pins are intended to keep the camera assembly attached to the drone if the dampers faill while not restrictivng the compliance or movement in normal operation.

Cable ties, suitably sized and loosely installed work better than the drop pins. They are much less likely to break in a crash and impose significantly less restriction to the movement of the dampers.

Reactions: Huskerfan
Makes sense. Cool idea!
Not my idea, the dji authorised agent returned my drone like that after a camera replacement in warranty. The showed me two drones being repaired where the camera had detatched in a crash and ripped the connector off the lightbridge board. They showed me a third one where the shell was trashed with broken landing skid and camera but the gimble board was still attached. Good enough evidence for me.

The drone went to DJI after this for a cracked shell and came back with drop pins re-installed. I went back to cable ties.

Its about mods not your cubes or your cf or your leatherman hahaha

Yes, "it's" also a pleasant conversation between us peasants.. Feel free to jump in!! Head first, feet first, which ever. Haha

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Numone
my P3-pro has CF gimbal guard, zip ties on gimbal, body skin and 2" strips of Flyshine holographic strips surrounding shell seams, a female deans ultra soldered directly to main board allowing me to use two dji packs, Standalone flytron leds for night flights, and using an FPVLR boosted antenna. TacoRC ND filters.Using 2 batteries increases flight time by 7.5 min. Antenna mod gives me unlimited range as battery becomes limiting factor. The holographic material increases my LOS by a least 2. The standalone flytron units weigh 4 grams apiece and I use 6, 2 red, 2 green, and 2 white. enjoy donnie

Last edited:
my P3-pro has CF gimbal guard, zip ties on gimbal, body skin and 2" strips of Flyshine holographic strips surrounding shell seams, a female deans ultra soldered directly to main board allowing me to use two dji packs, Standalone flytron leds for night flights, and using an FPVLR boosted antenna. TacoRC ND filters.Using 2 batteries increases flight time by 7.5 min. Antenna mod gives me unlimited range as battery becomes limiting factor. The holographic material increases my LOS by a least 2. The standalone flytron units weigh 4 grams apiece and I use 6, 2 red, 2 green, and 2 white. enjoy donnie
That's quite impressive! Got any pictures? and did you take the body off to do the soldering yourself? Did you use a youtube video for these mods or what?

Very cool. Need to install those for the Baltimore Run! :cool:

This is my DIY project using a WS2812B addressable LED strip along with a mini controller from eBay. Unlike typical LED strips that change colors together, each LED on the strip can be controlled individually so you get a "horserace" pattern. I split it up into four sections and soldered the connections such that the pattern is symmetrical from any direction. The pattern also reflects on the props!

What is it about Carbon Fiber that most guys seem to all like it?
We ourselves are carbon based. Perhaps that's part of the real magnetic attraction.
For the love of carbon... ;-)
View attachment 63235

RedHotPoker

What is the holster you are using for your shield?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

That's quite impressive! Got any pictures? and did you take the body off to do the soldering yourself? Did you use a youtube video for these mods or what?
removed shell to solder the Deans to control board. Also cut the charge connector and added Deans to it so I could use the OEM connector to bridge the 2 packs. This does add a lot of weight to model and this is reason flight time only increases 7.5 minutes. My next add on will be a gps tracking unit as an extra insurance policy. Have fun and enjoy, donnie

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z