What iPad do you recommend for P3P and why?

D

DrewFlies

Long story short I guess my Samsung Galaxy s5 took a dump. It's always had problems and I never really cared until today when every time I open DJI app. It crashes. I tried everything and realized that I most likely have a defective phone. B&H where I bought it from won't give me a refund.

I guess its time to join the iOS team.

What tablet or iphone do you recommend and why?

I noticed I can pick up a brand new iPad mini 2 for $300
I will only be using this device to operate the P3P (literally)
I don't care for the other bells and whistles.
Which do you recommend best for P3P and why?

I read ur other thread - frustrating and sorry u had so much trouble! I have an iPad mini 2 and an iPad Air. Both work great. My iPhone 6 is a backup I suppose, so you should be fine with your choice there!!

Sent from my PT beating heart

I read ur other thread - frustrating and sorry u had so much trouble! I have an iPad mini 2 and an iPad Air. Both work great. My iPhone 6 is a backup I suppose, so you should be fine with your choice there!!

awesome advice. Just what I was searching for. Do you noticed any difference when operating the P3 with the mini 2 or air?

I'm old so the regular iPad Air is easier to see!
Other than that zero difference!

I'm using the iPad Mini 3. For me, it's just the right size and weight.

iPad Air 2.
In my observation/opinion the DJI Apple App is far more stable/reliable than the Android version. Been that way even back with the P2 app. I hated buying an Apple Anything but it's been stable/reliable for both my P2V+ (iPoD 5 touch) and now for my P3P which I use an iPad Air 2 for a couple of reasons:
-Large 10" screen - easy to read everything!
-It uses the faster A8 processor - smooth video - not a single app crash or restart.
-It has an antiglare screen (not available in the minis) which is surprisingly more visible outside (I still use a hood though).
-It's very thin so I can add a hood and still get a good clamp with the Dji tablet mount.

I too use it only for my Phantom. As such I went with a refurb unit from Walmart - $350 - looks and performs as new.
Note that because of it's size I recommend using the metal Inspire Tablet mount ($30) - Rock solid - as the P3 plastic mount will flex/wobble no matter how tight you secure the mount.

Sooo, now I own an Apple product which I swore I'd never do. But for the Apps DJI has been providing, IMHO, it's the way to go. YMMV

Even if you don't want to spend the money on the air 3, you might wait until it comes out because the older models will all drop in price

Reactions: damitjim01
iPad Air 2.
In my observation/opinion the DJI Apple App is far more stable/reliable than the Android version. Been that way even back with the P2 app. I hated buying an Apple Anything but it's been stable/reliable for both my P2V+ (iPoD 5 touch) and now for my P3P which I use an iPad Air 2 for a couple of reasons:
-Large 10" screen - easy to read everything!
-It uses the faster A8 processor - smooth video - not a single app crash or restart.
-It has an antiglare screen (not available in the minis) which is surprisingly more visible outside (I still use a hood though).
-It's very thin so I can add a hood and still get a good clamp with the Dji tablet mount.

I too use it only for my Phantom. As such I went with a refurb unit from Walmart - $350 - looks and performs as new.
Note that because of it's size I recommend using the metal Inspire Tablet mount ($30) - Rock solid - as the P3 plastic mount will flex/wobble no matter how tight you secure the mount.

Sooo, now I own an Apple product which I swore I'd never do. But for the Apps DJI has been providing, IMHO, it's the way to go. YMMV

Thanks great advice

iPad Air 3... .should be coming out next month. Faster processor, won't overheat

Thanks for advice

Even if you don't want to spend the money on the air 3, you might wait until it comes out because the older models will all drop in price

I wish I could wait. I went ahead and purchased the mini 2. I have too many gigs this month and next month, can't afford to wait. :( I'am however waiting for the new iMacs next month.
What I have noticed in first couple of flights is the video signal is beyond choppy. A lot worse than my Samsung S5. No app crashes so far. It is an overcast day here in Florida and the rainclouds are starting to form so that may be the reason I have bad signal. I'm not sure. I have read to turn off video cache. Not too sure I want to do this incase of an incident. I also read to go to a specific video channel rather than just using auto. Hmm smooth video with the Air 2 makes me wish I would have bought that model instead already. However, I have a few trial and error tips to test out still. Thanks for all the advice!

I use the Ipad mini 3 and my iPhone 6 plus.... there is something about the 6 plus that I really like (it seems brighter than the ipad 3 mini) - but I like the ipad mini 3 better for the size of the picture and the controls. I will say that I have not really had any issues with the DJI app with the iOS platform - except for a brief period of time where I was getting disconnects (re-pairing the controller seemed to fix that though).

BOTH require a sunshade though... to help stop over heating and cut back glare.

Good luck man... I know you've had a crappy couple of days.

Reactions: DrewFlies
I use the Ipad mini 3 and my iPhone 6 plus.... there is something about the 6 plus that I really like (it seems brighter than the ipad 3 mini) - but I like the ipad mini 3 better for the size of the picture and the controls. I will say that I have not really had any issues with the DJI app with the iOS platform - except for a brief period of time where I was getting disconnects (re-pairing the controller seemed to fix that though).

BOTH require a sunshade though... to help stop over heating and cut back glare.

Good luck man... I know you've had a crappy couple of days.

lol thanks! I'm already over it. It was just at the time and place that really got to me. Definitely over reacted and vented out on this forum.

I use the mini 2 and its faultless with a hoodivision which is bar far the best shade for a mini I have used and that's a lot. But on Wednesday I flew a few packs through my friends inspire and he uses a air 2 which I found awesome. The first thing I really liked compared to my mini 2 was the size, the next thing was it seemed a little smoother, not a lot but I could see a difference, I don't know if this was because it was an inspire or not but it did seem a little smoother. The main thing tho I noticed straight away tho which I like more than anything was the anti glare screen which made a massive difference. So much so I'm now thinking of going for a air 2 or maybe even the 3 when that comes out. The only down side to the air 2 is the hoodivision sunshade sags a little and most that have tried it on here at least have not liked it for this reason. On a final note I did not really notice any weight difference on the controller between my mini 2 and my friends air 2 which I thought I would. If money allows I would probably go for the air 2, my friend went from a shield to his air 2 and has found it a lot better than that option some might advise. Hope this helps.

Long story short I guess my Samsung Galaxy s5 took a dump. It's always had problems and I never really cared until today when every time I open DJI app. It crashes. I tried everything and realized that I most likely have a defective phone. B&H where I bought it from won't give me a refund.

I guess its time to join the iOS team.

What tablet or iphone do you recommend and why?

I noticed I can pick up a brand new iPad mini 2 for $300
I will only be using this device to operate the P3P (literally)
I don't care for the other bells and whistles.
Which do you recommend best for P3P and why?
I was following your other thread as well, and really felt bad for you.

I started in May with a dedicated Mini 2, but switched to a dedicated Air 2 very soon after. The Mini 2 worked well in the Spring when it was cooler, but as soon as the weather turned warm in the summer it became basically useless after about 10 minutes. In less than one battery, I'd see severe lag and eventually the Mini 2 would just shut down. The Air 2 works far better for me when it is hot outside. It will still overheat if I stay in the full sun and run several batteries, but with a bit of shade and some short rest between batteries it's not an issue.

Also, the Mini 2 screen basically became a mirror as soon as I walked outside. The Air 2 has built in glare reduction that works surprisingly well. I don't even use a sunshade anymore which was mandatory with the Mini 2. I have never liked the stick on glare reducing screens because for me they blur too much for my taste. The Air 2 remains sharp with its standard built in anti glare screen. Yes, it would be even better with a sunshade, but I don't have any issues without one so I just avoid the extra bulk.

Based on my experience, if you fly often in a hot climate my vote would be the Air 2. If you fly most often in cooler weather, the Mini 2 with a sunshade should work well.

One qualifier - I don't know if the new GO app is more efficient than was the Pilot app. The Pilot app was a well known resource hog. The GO app may be better which would be less taxing on the lower powered Mini 2. That might make a big difference in the overheating issue. Others who may know for sure can chime in.

Last edited:
I use the mini 2 and its faultless with a hoodivision which is bar far the best shade for a mini I have used and that's a lot. But on Wednesday I flew a few packs through my friends inspire and he uses a air 2 which I found awesome. The first thing I really liked compared to my mini 2 was the size, the next thing was it seemed a little smoother, not a lot but I could see a difference, I don't know if this was because it was an inspire or not but it did seem a little smoother. The main thing tho I noticed straight away tho which I like more than anything was the anti glare screen which made a massive difference. So much so I'm now thinking of going for a air 2 or maybe even the 3 when that comes out. The only down side to the air 2 is the hoodivision sunshade sags a little and most that have tried it on here at least have not liked it for this reason. On a final note I did not really notice any weight difference on the controller between my mini 2 and my friends air 2 which I thought I would. If money allows I would probably go for the air 2, my friend went from a shield to his air 2 and has found it a lot better than that option some might advise. Hope this helps.
I was following your other thread as well, and really felt bad for you.

I started in May with a dedicated Mini 2, but switched to a dedicated Air 2 very soon after. The Mini 2 worked well in the Spring when it was cooler, but as soon as the weather turned warm in the summer it became basically useless after about 10 minutes. In less than one battery, I'd see severe lag and eventually the Mini 2 would just shut down. The Air 2 works far better for me when it is hot outside. It will still overheat if I stay in the full sun and run several batteries, but with a bit of shade and some short rest between batteries it's not an issue.

Also, the Mini 2 screen basically became a mirror as soon as I walked outside. The Air 2 has built in glare reduction that works surprisingly well. I don't even use a sunshade anymore which was mandatory with the Mini 2. I have never liked the stick on glare reducing screens because for me they blur too much for my taste. The Air 2 remains sharp with its standard built in anti glare screen. Yes, it would be even better with a sunshade, but I don't have any issues without one so I just avoid the extra bulk.

Based on my experience, if you fly often in a hot climate my vote would be the Air 2. If you fly most often in cooler weather, the Mini 2 with a sunshade should work well.

One qualifier - I don't know if the new GO app is more efficient than was the Pilot app. The Pilot app was a well known resource hog. The GO app may be better which would be less taxing on the lower powered Mini 2. That might make a big difference in the overheating issue. Others who may know for sure can chime in.

What kind of mount would you use at the Ipad Air is way too big for the mount that comes with the P3P. I'm really considering returning this Ipad Mini 2. The lag was really bad and its not tax week. Not sure if its just the DJI Go app that needs updating or the weather that was playing a role in my choppy video feed. But, wasn't really happy with it.

What kind of mount would you use at the Ipad Air is way too big for the mount that comes with the P3P. I'm really considering returning this Ipad Mini 2. The lag was really bad and its not tax week. Not sure if its just the DJI Go app that needs updating or the weather that was playing a role in my choppy video feed. But, wasn't really happy with it.
If it was hot outside where you were flying, I'd say it is very likely that the video was lagging due to the Mini 2 getting too warm and throttling the processor.

I used the stock mount with the Mini 2, and also with the Air 2 for a short time. The Air 2 is not as wide as the original iPads and also much lighter than the originals. You may still be thinking it's a huge beast like it used to be. In fact, the Air 2 is only about 3 or 4 ounces heavier than the Mini 2. Even so, I did switch to the Inspire mount which just feels more stable.

Last edited:
I would go with the iPad Mini. IMO having had the standard (larger) iPads the Mini is that perfect size for general use and when mounted on the remote control. Its not necessarily the weight to factor in your decision, its holding for reading for along period of time, where it fits in a travel bag etc.

The only benefit to the Air that I would consider at the moment is the barometer which is nice for some of the apps being developed with the SDK. 9 times out of 10 though I am using the iPad mini and the iPhone 6 as a backup or when i need the Barometer.

I'm hoping the next iPad Mini will include barometer.

And I believe it is generally considered that the Mini 3 was a bit of a poor upgrade to the Mini 2 so if they're cheaper why not. I have not had a problem with my Mini 2 over heating.

I would go with the iPad Mini. IMO having had the standard (larger) iPads the Mini is that perfect size for general use and when mounted on the remote control. Its not necessarily the weight to factor in your decision, its holding for reading for along period of time, where it fits in a travel bag etc.

The only benefit to the Air that I would consider at the moment is the barometer which is nice for some of the apps being developed with the SDK. 9 times out of 10 though I am using the iPad mini and the iPhone 6 as a backup or when i need the Barometer.

I'm hoping the next iPad Mini will include barometer.

And I believe it is generally considered that the Mini 3 was a bit of a poor upgrade to the Mini 2 so if they're cheaper why not. I have not had a problem with my Mini 2 over heating.
A Mini 2 or Mini 3 is perfect for you @sdharris since I am assuming you are in a cooler climate and don't often see 35C or 40C. If I had cool weather, I'd probably still be using the Mini 2 that I started with back in May. Now in the summer heat (38C this weekend), the Mini 2 is just not an option for me unfortunately.

I am on the same boat. I like the iPad mini size, it is not too big to mount on the radio. I think iPad Air is too big, it feels weird on the hand. iPad mini 2 vs 3, if you don't care the finger print ID and the gold color. The Mini 2 and 3 shares the same processor and performance.

I am using my iPhone 6 now. I would like to have a bigger screen. I got a 8" android tablet, unfortunately, the DJI Go app for android is complete crap. I returned the tablet this morning and will pick up a Mini 3 after work.

I am on the same boat. I like the iPad mini size, it is not too big to mount on the radio. I think iPad Air is too big, it feels weird on the hand. iPad mini 2 vs 3, if you don't care the finger print ID and the gold color. The Mini 2 and 3 shares the same processor and performance.

I am using my iPhone 6 now. I would like to have a bigger screen. I got a 8" android tablet, unfortunately, the DJI Go app for android is complete crap. I returned the tablet this morning and will pick up a Mini 3 after work.

I wouldn't be too fast to pick up the mini 3. I picked up the mini 2 last night and having really bad choppy video feed. It was in the morning with cooler climate and after flying around for only 20-30 minutes the iPad was still very cool (temperature). However, the choppy video feed makes me wonder if I should of went with the iPad air.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga