What iPad do you recommend for P3P and why?

I'm using an ipad mini2 non cellular - I specifically purchased this for use with the P3 & have not installed anything else apart from the DJI app. It pained me to buy an Apple product as I despise everything that is Apple...
But, it works fine with the P3 - over 5hrs of flying I've never had any issues; apart from direct sunlight but I will be buying a anti glare cover & sunshade.

Immensely... Thank you for the info
Also, if you do decide to get a cellular version, you don't need a data plan to access some GPS functionality.

Keep in mind that the P3 itself has GPS, so you can fly easily with a wifi only tablet, especially if you cache maps in the app beforehand. A GPS enabled tablet gives GPS functionality to the RC which otherwise doesn't have GPS so it doesn't know where it is.

Having GPS at the RC allows you to reset the home point as noted earlier in the other post from @Poundofnuts.

If you further decide to get a data plan anyway, you get the additional ability to update maps in the field as well as do live YouTube streaming. Warning - Live YouTube streaming will go through data fast and I've heard it's not a smooth experience though I haven't tried it myself.

Reactions: PeteyGoesToUtah
It pained me to buy an Apple product as I despise everything that is Apple...
Why? What rational reason do you have to hate apple? Because they charge more for higher quality products? You guys are realizing by now that most other tablet makers are absolutely junk compared to the iPad. Yes, they are 'good enough' when you're browsing the web or checking your email but generally don't perform as well when pushed.

Keep in mind, like them or not, Apple invented the smartphone market as you know it today. And their drive for miniaturization is also responsible for the current drone market, which is derivative hardware. You likely wouldn't have a galaxy s6 or phantom drone if not for Apple.

Last edited:
I use a dedicated iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi 16 now, fits into DJI hard shell backpack, right side (I don't carry charger in the backpack, props are in the charger compartment). Tether to my Android LG G4 or iPad Air 2. Works great.

The only problem is that only Air 2 has no barometer, which will be important for autopilot apps when SDK will be released. Anyway, we're close to next iPad generations, so maybe mini will a get at least A8 and a barometer.

I stopped playing attention to product releases with Apple awhile back...when's the next mini coming out? TBH I stopped caring because they hardly did anything to the mini 2 or 3, which makes it pointless to upgrade. I guess anything at this point is better that my 1st gen mini.

Last edited:
iPad event is usually October/November, a month or so after iPhone release. Mini 3 and Air 2 were announced in the middle of October last year.

Why? What rational reason do you have to hate apple? Because they charge more for higher quality products? You guys are realizing by now that most other tablet makers are absolutely junk compared to the iPad. Yes, they are 'good enough' when you're browsing the web or checking your email but generally don't perform as well when pushed.

Keep in mind, like them or not, Apple invented the smartphone market as you know it today. And their drive for miniaturization is also responsible for the current drone market, which is derivative hardware. You likely wouldn't have a galaxy s6 or phantom drone if not for Apple.

Listen - I'm a android fanboi if that makes you happy, not really an apple hater as such.
My experience with apple is pretty poor

25% ish of the 16gb drive is for the operating system
Where is the mini sd slot?
istore - what a load of wank - downloading an app is a chore & a half - why do they need credit card details...?

Drag & drop movies, music etc NO its crap

Like I said I bought this apple thing for use with the Phantom

All this hot air about Apple and iPads....choppy video...is created over a first timers use! Have you done any testing with the video/iPad? Like anything else to get the best you need to optimise the set up. Choppy video....can you expand? Weather conditions? Light conditions? Cloudy days can create low contrast and picture quality suffers. All connections correct and secured? I am not a fan of Android and do not know the phone you use....did you compare the sensor size of both old phone and new iPad?
Is everything OK now?

Listen - I'm a android fanboi if that makes you happy, not really an apple hater as such.
My experience with apple is pretty poor

25% ish of the 16gb drive is for the operating system
Where is the mini sd slot?
istore - what a load of wank - downloading an app is a chore & a half - why do they need credit card details...?

Drag & drop movies, music etc NO its crap

Like I said I bought this apple thing for use with the Phantom
I gotcha. Both have their pros and cons. I don't get android. I carried an LG G3 as my work device for a while and it was serviceable just paled in comparison to the iPhone.

Yes the os is bloated but so was android on the lg.

The sd card on the G3 was awful. Nothing you put in there outside photos was fast enough to use.

Buying apps is a one button affair. Nothing could be easier. No idea why you mean there. You put your cc in when you first set up and never think about it again. Secure and easy.

I'll give you that iTunes is junk. I use media monkey and have full drag and drop features just like android.

But I stand by my assertion that you wouldn't have a smartphone OR a phantom if not for Apple. Btw, Samsung, HTC and Lg are all losing a TON of money in their smartphones are are all seriously considering abandoning the high end android market since they simply can't compete with the iPhone and be profitable.

Just an update, few days ago I picked up an iPad mini 2 for $299.99 flat at best buy because no tax event their holding.
However, I noticed in the newest best buy ad they have the iPad mini 3 $100 cheaper and on sale from original $399.99 price.

Today is the beginning of that sale but the last day of the no tax sale.
I went ahead and swapped my iPad mini 2 for the 3 at no extra charge. In comparison the only thing different is the fingerprint sensor that's all.
But, I heard the iPad mini 4 will be released in October this year. I rather have the mini 3 for resell purposes.
Non educated people will want the newest device out or 2nd to newest.
Makes me wonder if the iPad mini original is $199.99 at Walmart right now. $299.99 for mini 2 and $399.99 for mini 3. What will the prices drop to once the mini 4 is announced. Possible discontinued mini 1, mini 2 for $199.99 and mini 3 for $299.99.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4