What do you use as a landing/take off pad?

Just wondering if any of you have come up with a simple/clever takeoff/landing pad? I need one that folds up and I can stick in my rucksack. Seen the ones on flebay but I know people come up with simple but effective solutions to things like this/

Whatever is there for takeoffs. I almost always hand recover. I still occasionally do touch n goes just for practice. So whatever is there is what I use.

I normally just use my car's mats when taking off places with grass, otherwise I'll just use my backpack. Landing is 100% hand-catch.
Why? I think grass is a great platform to land, it is very soft for the aircraft!

I use the small, Hoodman landing pad.
It works great, and looks cool.

Just wondering if any of you have come up with a simple/clever takeoff/landing pad? I need one that folds up and I can stick in my rucksack. Seen the ones on flebay but I know people come up with simple but effective solutions to things like this/
Hoodman Has a weighted ring, folds up to one third its size, light weight. Landing on ground can wreck your lens on your camera. Landing on ground, sucks dust into your motors. by the way I love you guys that catch your drones. Every tried to catch an inspire. LMFAO

Hand launching my Mavic is easy (although I prefer using a mat of some kind). But I haven't figured out how to hand catch it -- the catching is easy, but then how does one kill the props? Seems to need two hands on the controller ... :-([/

This is how I learned...fly safe![emoji106][emoji4]

I just take off and land from my hand. Simple as that.
Even better: form a sailing boat...

I've made a couple (actually three) landing pads -- so far the best is a 'picnic seat' that folds in four, with a light wooden lath velcro'd underneath to make it rigid (the whole weighs ~150g). On all of them, however, I have added white tape to make a T shape, as in airfield signal squares. This makes a lot more sense (to me) than an H shape as the T can be put on the ground to indicate and remind of the wind direction -- always important when flying.

Curious, though -- has anyone tested which designs most help DJI drones make precision landings?

I have used a medium size towel on dusty constructions sites. The prop wash keeps it clear of the props and dust from getting on the lens. I like Locke's idea of a carpet sample and that's something you could use in tall grass.

I use my Lowenpro drone carrier kit, if I just have to fly and doesn't really need the bird to be well secured. All my birds got their own cases, but I like using the lowenpro for portability and ease of access if I'm only taking one bird with me. I use it for my P4, P3P and my Hubsan, as long as they have the same configuration. You can spread the whole body out (just turn it over) and use it as a landing pad since all the accessory pockets are just velcro secured.
IMG_1161.JPG

I try to always hand catch. Its the initial take off. Especially when the camera does its initial movements. No matter how flat the ground and how short the grass is I always seem to catch something.

Thanks for the tips its been interesting. I ended up using a very small fabric car mat. Ideal size. Can be cleaned easily. Light and can fit in my back pack.

I try to always hand catch. Its the initial take off. Especially when the camera does its initial movements. No matter how flat the ground and how short the grass is I always seem to catch something.

Thanks for the tips its been interesting. I ended up using a very small fabric car mat. Ideal size. Can be cleaned easily. Light and can fit in my back pack.

I bought a light weight folding table, 18" x 2'. I have a bad back and prefer not to work on the ground. Plus, it eliminates any debris on camera lense. I prefer to hand catch my drone for the same reasons.

Reactions: Frankc

When I got my P3S, I had a 17" x 31" scrap of plywood lying around, so I painted a black triangle on it as shown in the photos. When I set it up for takeoff, I point the triangle to the north. It's easy for the drone to see from up high, so I know where home is and which direction is north.
IMG_5037.JPG
DJI_0004.JPG

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart