What do you think?

Reaction score
I made some range extender set out of pop a can and put some ducktape on the outside to make them look at little nicer.

What do you think?
Do you think they will work?
What other things could I make?

Sent from my SM-T350 using PhantomPilots mobile app
48723d5332ec07cb721bdbd4266099c8.jpg
786bc92216a87bd61d45f8ea36135132.jpg
47ccdc2c53fc81c3fc938d00a01141a1.jpg

The reflecting surface has to be parabolic and not round so this should give you just about the same results as before because the signal used from your antennas will be coming from the front side of the antenna only, a parabolic surface focuses the signal going to the back forward, a half round surface will not, mostly scatter it 180

Reactions: W. Matt Burchfield
I made some range extender set out of pop a can and put some ducktape on the outside to make them look at little nicer.

What do you think?
Do you think they will work?
What other things could I make?

Sent from my SM-T350 using PhantomPilots mobile app
48723d5332ec07cb721bdbd4266099c8.jpg
786bc92216a87bd61d45f8ea36135132.jpg
47ccdc2c53fc81c3fc938d00a01141a1.jpg
hey, I wouldn't expect much range extension from those cans as they are made out of aluminum and aluminum done not reflect signals very well. A better home made solution would be attaching a pair of DVDs or CDs to the back of the antennas. you can also buy some range extenders from Amazon for relatively cheap and they work pretty well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017IP2P98/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_2_w

check out my youtube channel!!
David Stoy

hey, I wouldn't expect much range extension from those cans as they are made out of aluminum and aluminum done not reflect signals very well. A better home made solution would be attaching a pair of DVDs or CDs to the back of the antennas. you can also buy some range extenders from Amazon for relatively cheap and they work pretty well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017IP2P98/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_2_w

check out my youtube channel!!
David Stoy
Huh!! Aluminum is a great RF reflector (as is any metal)! Bigger problem is circular rather than parabolic. Even the cheap paro reflectors work well. Not really worth the effort to try making your own.

I made a windsurfer (3D printed) and used it on my Phantom Standard. I got the Pro for Christmas. I am very happy with the Stock distance so far, as I have not seen any issues with losing the video feed on the few test flights I have done.

Edit: I didn't really see any improvement when I used it on the Standard.

Interesting the comments on parabolic shape. I bought some cheap copper clad windsurfers on Ebarf and in doing a close look, they are perfect part circles. As a matter fact, to check it I had a disk out of a hard drive which EXACTLY fit. I have a pair of 3 D Dynamics ordered, be interested to see if they are parabolic.

Let me tell you about a man named Jeb
Poor mounrtaineer but he kept his family fed
Then one day he was shootin at some food
And up from the ground
Came some bubblin crude....

Oil, that is,,,black gold...Texas Tea

Sorry Bud :)

Have you been drinking, or was this a bet?
It looks a mess & to put it on something that costs quite a lot of dosh is crazy.
You did ask.

The problem with photons is they can be additive or subtract-ive depending on phase at time of detection.

If not properly designed and implemented your reflectors could actually make things worse.

Photons?????????

Yes.

Photons carry more than just visible light; they convey all forms of electromagnetic radiation, including radio waves (with much lower frequencies than visible light) and x-rays (with much higher frequencies).

Phooey on windsurfers. I don't like the fact it does nothing for my downlink. ARGTek has done wonders for my distance and downlink

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Keep up the creativeness young man! It's never a waste of time your still learning what won't work.

Reactions: yorlik
Shouldn't Duck Tape have feathers?

To perform optimally the distance from the reflector to the driven element should be 1/4 wavelength. For 2.4Ghz this is around 30mm (if I recall correctly).

I dont like how the antenna is in such close proximity to the metal of the can (top and bottom). This will likely cause a significant impedance mismatch and greatly reduce efficiency. It may even cause damage to the TX output stage.

Fly it and report results.

Shouldn't Duck Tape have feathers?

To perform optimally the distance from the reflector to the driven element should be 1/4 wavelength.

Not true. The radiator needs be at the Focal Point of the parabola. Otherwise reflector size would be limited.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures