What do you guys use to edit?

Reaction score
Hello folks!
I've seen many people talking about different software for editing video & pictures. I just wanted to make a thread to kind of see what you all are using. As for me:

1) Photo: CS3 & Aperture/iPhoto
2) Video: iMovie & YouTube

I need to get better video editor but my background is in graphic design and never had to get one. If you guys have any recommendation, please let me know!

Have a good & safe flying ^_^

photos: lightroom
video: premiere pro cs5

Sony Vegas Pro 12. I've been using Vegas since 9 with no problems and use it every day.
However I can't for the life of me get a good down convert from the Vision camera to standard DVD. 1080 is always hard to get good quality down convert to DVD so for work I shoot 720 which converts nicely. Unfortunately I'm in Pal land and there is no 720 Pal on the Vision.
If anyone has any tips I'm all ears?

SpikeFinch said:
Sony Vegas 13

Been using Vegas for years...

Vegas 13 also comes with Hitfilm 2
http://hitfilm.com/ultimate

I didn't know it came with Hitfilm. Thanks.
I've been holding off upgrading waiting for a special. Last upgrade only cost $150.
Any tips on down converting 1080 to standard DVD?

When you open up your video in Vegas, let it open as default 1920X1080
Then go into:
File
Properties
Template
Change it to your new lower settings. I pick NTSC DV Widescreen (720X480)
But I am not using PAL, so not sure how well that would convert. The problem is the ratio is so different and the frame rate is different, so expect choppy video.
1920X1080 ratio .56
720X480 ratio .66
720x576 ratio .8

There are a few softwares out there that convert for you, but you will not get good results (choppy video)

I heard most PAL players these days play NTSC..

I use Aperture for photos and Final Cut Pro X for video. It all depends on what you get comfortable with. All the different programs have the exact same thing, but some are more or less user friendly. I like Final Cut Pro X because it is really simple to use, but if I got good with another program, I would be saying the same about that one. It's all up to you.

keep in mind most of those programs will NOT allow you to render into 60fps.....cant really find one that can either, corel will but you cant add music, it renders to 30fps.

I've been thinking about getting Final Cut for awhile but just haven't done it. I've always wanted to compare it to Premiere but I don't know if I want to do that new subscription thing adobe is doing

Sketch6995 said:
keep in mind most of those programs will NOT allow you to render into 60fps.....cant really find one that can either, corel will but you cant add music, it renders to 30fps.
You can in Sony Vegas.

Lightroom mostly for images. Get the camera profile for DJI in case you haven't - it'll fix the awful horizons but stretch out your corners pretty badly.

Correct, Vegas will allow you to render in any FPS you want. Also keep in mind that the rendered FPS will NOT change the file size, so you don't have to worry about space, but larger FPS will slow down render times.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl