What dictates the voltage?

Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of building up a TBS Discovery over the coming winter days.

Possibly robbing the Phantom of the Naza v1, and adding a tower GPS/compass.

Got stuck on understanding what governs the choice of battery- 3s/4s etc.

It seems to me that the Naza can handle from 3s up to 6s. So what component limits the Phantom to 3s?

ESC's and BEC limits phantom to 3S. If you want t If you want 4S, must replace ESCs to 20A+ and the BEC for lower voltage to Naza.

jumanoc said:
ESC's and BEC limits phantom to 3S. If you want t If you want 4S, must replace ESCs to 20A+ and the BEC for lower voltage to Naza.
Thanks, jumanoc. You've gone straight to the heart of my question, but I'm still confused.
I thought that that voltage was controlled by the VU module, and that the stumbling block was the limited current that this unit can handle.

If you have pmu v2 then the stock esc's are your only limiting factor. I thought I was done with modding my phantom but may get some 30a esc's rip out the current board and maybe try some 4s batteries as everything else will work for me. Then all the parts I need for a larger quad will be there minus the gps when I feel the need for more size. The only thing thats really limiting on the phantom is the battery door but I may also just cut this out and try some larger single batteries too.

I have no interest in flying bigger cameras and my phantom has plenty of lift, going 4s with the 9050 triblades and a larger capacity battery could be interesting. :mrgreen:

martcerv said:
If you have pmu v2 then the stock esc's are your only limiting factor. I thought I was done with modding my phantom but may get some 30a esc's rip out the current board and maybe try some 4s batteries as everything else will work for me. Then all the parts I need for a larger quad will be there minus the gps when I feel the need for more size. The only thing thats really limiting on the phantom is the battery door but I may also just cut this out and try some larger single batteries too.

I have no interest in flying bigger cameras and my phantom has plenty of lift, going 4s with the 9050 triblades and a larger capacity battery could be interesting. :mrgreen:

Sounds like a good plan to me! I guess there eventually will be a limitation to what a 330 frame can lift on a max 9" prop? Where is a rocket scientist when you need one to number crunch!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl