What computer is everyone using to edit 4K video?

iMac 5k (late 2015) i7, 512GB ssd. 4GB graphics, 16GB RAM. External 128GB ssd for scratch disk and a 7200rpm usb 3.0 4TB HDD for general storage and Final Cut Pro X for editing. I also have Motion 5 installed for effects (which I have yet to use) It can handle 4 streams of 4K content but if using heavy effects and grading it drops down to being happy at 2 streams.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Intel 5820K 6-core I7 overclocked to 4.4Ghz
64GB RAM
(2) 4-channel PCI connected Samsung M.2 SSD (1 for the OS another for working space, these blow away regular SATA SSD for large sequential files)
Samsung 840 EVO SSD for Program Cache
500GB WD Velociraptor 10k HDD
2TB WD HDD for long term storage
Nvidia GTX-970 4GB VRAM
Samsung 32" 4k monitor

•MSI Z97-G43 MoBo
•Intel Core i5 4670k @ 4.0GHz
•8GB RAM - Corsair Vegeance High Profile Dual Channel
•Asus GTX 760 Light oc
•1TB WD Blue

~Adobe Premiere Pro CS6
~After Effects CC

I do compress with Handbrake.

Getting a SSD shortly.

i7 4770k
16gb Corsair Dominator RAM
500GB SSD drive
Nvidia 780ti

It churns outs 4k like a dream

IMG_2506.JPG

- Adam

Thats seriously tight. Who built that?

Asking for opinions about Editing Software is like asking about religion.

The decision of which program to use depends on too many variables to be selected from other people's experiences. You edit with your brain - the NLE is just a tool.

I am absolutely certain that you will find few unbiased responses to the question: "Which editor should I learn and use"? You are discovering the "Baby Duck Syndrome" which denotes the tendency for editors to "imprint" on the first system they learn, then judge other systems by their similarity to that first system. The result is that users generally prefer systems similar to those they learned on and dislike unfamiliar systems.

My advice is simple. Most of the modern NLE programs offer free trials:

Sony Vegas:
Sony Creative Software - Download: Trials and Demos

Avid:
Artist Suite - Creative tools for audio, video and live sound production

Premiere:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=premiere_pro

Corel Video Studio:
Video-Editing Software - VideoStudio Ultimate X9

Majix Movie Edit:
MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 2016 Premium – Overview

Lightworks:
Lightworks: The professional editor for everyone

Grass Valley EDIUS Neo 3
http://www.grassvalley.com/login?r=/support/downloads/demos

There's dozens of others. All have some strengths and all have some limitations. It costs nothing but time to try all of them with a test project and select the one that best fits your needs.

Finally: Use what works for you and will make your clients happy. Try them out. All the NLE programs are great... and they all suck! They are just tools and in today's world they all will get the job done. But as tools go, some are better than others for certain jobs. The right answer for me could be the wrong one for you.

Hope this helps.

Davinci Resolve

This is the free lite version which is more than enough for most mortals.

GoPro Studio (don't have a link - easy to find). On the other end of the spectrum, very easy to use, not much in the way of actual effects, etc. 90% of a video is pacing and scene selection - that's pretty much what this does.
Quack!

I'm running a mid-2010 Mac Pro with 26Gb RAM, 2 x 2.4GHz quad-core CPUs, Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti with 6Gb RAM with a 1TB SSD as boot boot disc and a 512Gb SSD for damage storage.

I wouldn't need as much power for 1080 but 4K needs a lot of rendering power.

I'm running a new Asus Zenbook Pro UX-501
Core i7 6700K skylake quadcore
16gb of DDR4 memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX960M 2gb GDDR5
512gb 512GB PCIe G3x4 SSD (this is basically a Samsung 950 pro drive and its fast)
4K ips screen with touchscreen
All aluminum body

$1500 on amazon.. this is basically a MacBook pro but $1000 less

Mac Pro

32GB main memory, 6 Xeon cores, ssd main drive, 16TB Raid 5 Tbolt 2 external drive, 2 27" monitors (one for watching hockey) and coffee machine (need my caffeine)

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm running a new Asus Zenbook Pro UX-501
Core i7 6700K skylake quadcore
16gb of DDR4 memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX960M 2gb GDDR5
512gb 512GB PCIe G3x4 SSD (this is basically a Samsung 950 pro drive and its fast)
4K ips screen with touchscreen
All aluminum body

$1500 on amazon.. this is basically a MacBook pro but $1000 less
Respectfully disagree [emoji51]

I use this: Built it in 2013:

•INTEL WORKSTATION
- Asus P9X79 Pro
- I7 3930K 12 Cores 3.20GHz (3.80GHz TURBO)
- 32 GB DDR3 2133MHZ Ram
- EVGA GTX680 4GB Graphics
- 256 GB SSD System Drive
- 2 X 4 TB Raid0 Media/Projects
- 2 TB Exports
- 2 TB Backups
- Windows 7 Pro
- Adobe CC Master Collection
- Matrox MXO2 Mini
- Blu-ray Writer
- 40 " monitor
Phew, I wish!!

I've got an old HP laptop with an AMD A10 CPU and 8GB RAM, nothing special under the hood re graphics, all running under Windows 10. Amazingly, I am able to edit 1920 x 1080p at 30fps with reasonable ease. Some delays when scrubbing but in general it's OK.

I'm by no means expert. I film video at high resolution eg 4K then, using Acrok or similar, I drop the resolution down to whatever I want to work with.

I've tried Power Director, Video Studio and Davinci Resolve software. Given my hardware limitations I've found Power Director the best solution for my needs ie most usable. Video Studio is a little slower and slightly more patchy in use, Resolve, although the most professional and complete, is very sluggish at this resolution. Of course, if you drop the video resolution down, all three become more usable.

Hope this helps.

David

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm not a mac guy, never owned a mac, but have tons of experience with them at work...
I can say I disagree too.

A windows computer cannot "basically" be a mac because the operating system is different. The apple hardware now a days is the same as windows PCs the motherboards are Foxconn the CPUs are intel, the graphics are AMD/nVidia. The only thing that separates PC and Mac is the OS.. some say the build quality too but that has nothing to do with performace. Just because a windows computer has the same specs or looks like a mac doesn't make it "basically" a mac. It still "basically" a PC.

Just thoughts and my two cents...

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

I'm not a mac guy, never owned a mac, but have tons of experience with them at work...

A windows computer cannot "basically" be a mac because the operating system is different. The apple hardware now a days is the same as windows PCs the motherboards are Foxconn the CPUs are intel, the graphics are AMD/nVidia. The only thing that separates PC and Mac is the OS.. some say the build quality too but that has nothing to do with performace. Just because a windows computer has the same specs or looks like a mac doesn't make it "basically" a mac. It still "basically" a PC.

You can install any OS you want

Reactions: PhantomNoob
You can install any OS you want

While technically you can install OSX on a PC it is a daunting task that requires coordination of hardware etc. As an experienced hackintosh I can tell you that it's difficult to get them working with the stability and reliability the comes with a real mac.

So I would say you can install many OS(s) you want on PC... except OSX as it's not going to be fully stable.

I agree, cannot compare hard specs like pc vs Mac . If anything it seems like some inexpensive PC companies inflate their specifications instead.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor