What computer is everyone using to edit 4K video?

Any laptops out there? I need a travel machine.

Or perhaps, is there a service out there that lets you upload raw footage and edit in the cloud?

Or perhaps, is there a service out there that lets you upload raw footage and edit in the cloud?
Whats your price range? I can make some suggestions. in the PC realm. I wouldnt touch an apple product with 0bamas pecker!

I use either a Dell T7400 with Dual 4gig xenon and 256 gig of ram and a total of 20 TB of SAS or a custom i7 4790K running 4.8 gig and 32 gig or RAM and 15 TB. Both have twin ASUS 980Ti. More than sufficient to edit anything that exists!
Holy crap dude! That's power plus! And the storage capacity. I looking forward to the day I upgrade my computer. Powerful cpu or even 2 of them, super duper grahics card running on highest frequency available. I just upgraded my storage to a Qnap NAS, 36 TB. Won't have to worry about space for while. :)

Reactions: III% Streve
MacBook Pro Retina 2013 with Premiere Pro CC (16GB ram). Smooth as butter!

Sent from my PT beating heart

uploading raw footage? sounds like a terrible idea

Am a newbie at Phantom 3 and videography. I need some help with selecting a computer and editing program. I am not very computer literate, more of a "hunt & pecker". Could someone give me advice on a computer for editing video from Phantom 3 and a editing program. Have read the forums and a lot of what everyone is discussing I do not understand. No way can I build a computer. I need something that I can plug in and use from the manufacturer and a very easy program. I have read about an editing program from Wondershare called Filmora that looks relatively easy to use. Anyone have any comments about it?

Am a newbie at Phantom 3 and videography. I need some help with selecting a computer and editing program. I am not very computer literate, more of a "hunt & pecker". Could someone give me advice on a computer for editing video from Phantom 3 and a editing program. Have read the forums and a lot of what everyone is discussing I do not understand. No way can I build a computer. I need something that I can plug in and use from the manufacturer and a very easy program. I have read about an editing program from Wondershare called Filmora that looks relatively easy to use. Anyone have any comments about it?

If I was in your situation, and didn't know anything about computers, I'd just buy a Mac of some kind and use whatever I could get on OSX.

My setup includes a late 2013 rMBP 2.6ghz i7/16gb/1tb SSD, nvidia gt750m. Just added a 40inch Philips 4k monitor running at 60hz via dispayport 1.2.
20150820_181332.jpg
Plays and edits 4k perfectly!

Reactions: MichaelS
I bought the iMac full boat except the RAM ( I7 + 1TB SSD + 8GB RAM) It was 4K + then I bought 3rd party 32GB of RAM and installed it myself. Making it a monster video editor.
lol, im happy you were sane enough to buy your own RAM.

My current laptop is a Asus windows 7 which has an older I7 cpu running a 2 ghz. I know the issue is with the type of memory and video card. What type of OS is best to edit 4K video? I am looking for a laptop but not sure which OS Apple or Microsoft? And which model laptop?

Truth of the matter is you can use most any current computer made in the past several years to edit 4k video. It comes down to how long it will ultimately take for the computer to process the video. A computer that uses a discrete GPU vs built in on board video will be better though for the on screen rendering of the video. And as far as CPU something with an i5 or i7 quad core or better with 8 gigs or more of ram should work nicely enough. 12 to 16gigs would be preferable. And a PC with a 6 core i7 and 16 to 32 gigs of ram with at least a Nvidia GTX 970 or better video card would fly. Oh and Hard Disk in RAID or SSD setup.

My desktop is about 5 years old. Dell Studio XPS i7 @2.93ghz quad core, 12gb ram, and it's just barely enough. What's killing me is the old nVidia GTS-240 video card! I'm thinking if I get a decent card and double the ram, I can get another couple years out of it.

I am using an i7 4770K OC'd to 4.4ghz with Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980, 16 Gb DDR3 Ram, NZXT X61 Kraken cooler, 2 x 512 Gb Samsung 850 pro SSD with 2 Tb WD mehanical HD inside a Corsair Carbide Air 540 case and an AOC U286PQU 4K Monitor ... running Windows 10 Pro

Last edited:
I am using an i7 4770K OC'd to 4.4ghz with Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980, 16 Gb DDR3 Ram, NZXT X61 Kraken cooler, 2 x 512 Gb Samsung 850 pro SSD with 2 Tb WD mehanical HD inside a Corsair Carbide Air 540 case and an AOC U286PQU 4K Monitor
Now you're just showin' off! :p

Nice setup!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20