What´s your favorite video setting?

Reaction score
Been fiddling around with the video settings.
And I can´t get it as crisp as most other youtube videos.

Is it better to run on 720P 60FPS or 1080P 30FPS?
Soft, Hard or Average?
Witch focus setting are you using?

If personally prefer the 1080i (60 fps). The video is not quite as sharp as the 1080p (30 fps) but the pans are super smooth. Also, when you slow the 1080i by 50% you still have smooth video.

Cloudconnect said:
CarlJ said:
What are you using to encode your video?

http://www.adobe.com/products/mediaencoder.html

Just made a quick trial with windows moviemaker. I know that sucks. But I'm interested in the optimal settings for raw footage so to speak. To get the best source.

You had me til you got to windows moviemaker. Are you talking about camera raw (Protunes)? If so I wont be much help, but someone will be along that can help you there.

You really gotta ditch moviemaker...

and don't use 1080i, use 1080p 60fps.

CarlJ said:
Cloudconnect said:
CarlJ said:
What are you using to encode your video?

http://www.adobe.com/products/mediaencoder.html

Just made a quick trial with windows moviemaker. I know that sucks. But I'm interested in the optimal settings for raw footage so to speak. To get the best source.

You had me til you got to windows moviemaker. Are you talking about camera raw (Protunes)? If so I wont be much help, but someone will be along that can help you there.

You really gotta ditch moviemaker...

and don't use 1080i, use 1080p 60fps.

1080P in 60FPS is pretty hard to do with a P2V+ :)

Isn't 720P in 60fps better the 1080i in 60FPS?

720p and 1080i are great for filming.

the key is how you export your editted videos and the codec used. try exporting them as .h264 files, youll get an extraordinary good quality in your video and a small file.
if on pc try editting with adobe premier, if on mac final cut.

Cloudconnect said:
1080P in 60FPS is pretty hard to do with a P2V+ :)

Isn't 720P in 60fps better the 1080i in 60FPS?

Oh 1080p is too hard? *****, *****, *****... :lol: (I think I was projecting my GoPro onto him)

That's really a tough call, but in general 720p would be better...ouch. :cry:

I do a lot of animation so I always export to a high quality quicktime for edditing, then export again in quicktime, and transcode with Adobe Media Encoder for...whatever. This way my files are always optimized for youtube, facebook, ect...

I think what Cloudconnect was saying is that you CAN'T do 1080p (60 fps) on the P2V+. It's not an option. It's either 1080p (30 fps) or 1080i (interlaced 60 fps).

I record in 720p @ 60 FPS because frames per second matter if you do any rotation (panning). I will have another P2 with a GoPro in a month and I can't wait to test the GoPro on the same settings.

dezunka said:
I think what Cloudconnect was saying is that you CAN'T do 1080p (60 fps) on the P2V+. It's not an option. It's either 1080p (30 fps) or 1080i (interlaced 60 fps).

Yes, I understood what he was saying, I was teasing him. For some reason I forgot that the PV2+ is 1080i...which is retarded. I had read about a film maker that tried to use the PV2+ (really starting to hate typing that), but found the camera limiting. It's an awesome platform with everything considered, but they really screwed the pooch with the camera.

This is 1080p 60fps, edited with Adobe Premier and render as .h264

nYwuaG

https://flic.kr/p/nYwuaG

Ok, so the vision plus camera does not have an 1080p with 60fps, it only goes up to 30fps.
I think, if you dont mind the fish eye style, the best would be using 720p at 60fps, ultra smooth, always less Jello.
In my case, i use 1080p in narrow FOV, so it does not like a fish eye cam, but the thing is that in that bigger FOV, you can notice more vibrations (jello), i also combine this with the "soft" style, i have noticed that using narrow FOV and with the soft style, you can get a DSLR style film, after that it all on your color grading and post production.

By the way, 1080i, is not a full resolution.

Hope this works!

For video I prefer to shoot

1080P
30FPS
Narrow FoV to minimise the fish eye effect
Soft sharpening (I sharpen in post)
ISO 100
Centre weighted exposure

All videos are edited in Apple Final Cut Pro X and export through Compressor.

In the future I will probably stick to 1080P at 25FPS to slow the shutter speed down and maximise the available bit rate for each frame (I'm assuming the video bitrate is the same at 30 or 25FPS, so the lower frame rate will allocate more bits per frame).

I'll probably fix the colour balance to Cloudy (to prevent colour shifts during a video shoot).

Like professional video cameras, if you know the look you want, lock it down so that the machine will give you predictable results.

I am filming at a big festival for the first time and i am not sure on what video setting i should do this. There are aprox 30.000 people at the festival so its crowded. I think 720p at 60 fps would be best to get nice and smooth video?

My favorite setting so far is 1080P 25 Narrow FOV with Medium detail settings. The Hard detail setting accentuates too much noise and moire. In my opinion soft is just too muddy. Adobe Photoshop and Premier Pro have lens distortion compensation filters that can process out much of the wide FOV distortion. I have done a bit of shooting with 720P 60 shooting but have not taken a critical look at the results yet.

The P2V+ could really use a firmware upgrade to allow for higher bit-rate capture. The 12.0 Gbps data rate (1080P /30) is not enough to adequately encode the video without the obvious compression artifacts that are easily observed in many of the P2V+ videos. Likewise a GoPro on identical output settings (1080P / 30) outputs a 20.2 Gbps file which is substantially cleaner (See attached comparisons). I'm not sure what the philosophy is in going with such a low data rate other than to accommodate non-Class 10 Micro SD cards. A higher data rate would mean less compression and less work for the camera processor/encoder. The only limiting factor might be some bandwidth issues within the camera that necessitates the lower data rates. By far a GoPro shooting in 2.7K will produce substantially better results than the Vision + camera.

I have not done any testing on the data rates for 720P 30 or 60 but that would be an interesting test and comparison.

I saw somewhere that some ingenious individual is working on a mod to mount a GoPro to a P2V+ in place of the stock camera. The other solution would be some enterprising individual to do a camera firmware hack.

At the time I purchased my P2V+ there was not a lot of footage out there other than the promo stuff. The P2V+ is a joy to fly and with practice and experimentation I have found techniques that improve panning movements and provide decent results. My biggest disappointment is the video codec issues.

Attachments

• GoPro vs Vision + Bit Rates Chart.jpg
    GoPro vs Vision + Bit Rates Chart.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 438

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl