Well it's arrived and fitted in half an hour

Just remember that a number of the referenced distance increases are in CE mode rather than FCC. The increase *should* be significantly greater for us in North America who run in FCC mode.

Reactions: jointeffort
I am actually less interested in distance on this mod, and more interested of quality of signal... I can run my P3S out to 4000 feet routinely, but I get super choppy video starting at around 2500-3000 feet. Even if the distance isn't all that much further, if I can get a nice stable video link at distance, that is what I am after.

So that being said, if anyone who has bought and installed this wants to review that aspect, I am more than interested ;)

Mine is the same. I can get 4000' out of it, but the video starts to drop a lot of frames intermittently before that and the signal starts to lag a fair bit. I'll comment on that aspect once I receive mine and test it. I'm a bit disappointed that I paid $5 more to order from Taiwan than what I could have paid on Amazon with likely a quicker delivery, but I'm sure it'll eventually get here.

OK - I just took my P3S out in 32 degree weather with a Windsurfer. Went out about 2800 ft and lost signal. Ok no big deal it is going to come back.........Wow what a wait until the signal came back. I got scared..........it seemed like an hour but was probably 3 minutes without any sign of it. I started walking in the direction it set out. Walked about 25 feet and the signal came back and it was on its way home.

Don't know if I want to keep going farther with the new antenna but sure hope it provides a stable signal at those lengths.

Just remember that when you lose video link, it doesn't mean you have lost radio link (which means it may take a bit for it to RTH). I saw a guy flying one where he lost video link, and stood there waiting for his drone to come back... 5 minutes drone was still in the same place, hovering away. If you lose video signal and aren't sure what is going on, I would always give the S2 switch a little wiggle just to make sure it is returning to home. Won't hurt anything, and you aren't wasting battery waiting for your bird to finally decide it wants to RTH.

Grr First test terrible... Stock antenna I was able to get 3000 feet no problem. Installed the new kit and could not get it past 1500 feet. Gonna tear it down and check all the connections. Still woefully disappointed in first flight test.

At what angle are your 2.4 GHz antenna pointed? Do you happen to have any photos of how you set it up?

I would think the mere fact that the 2.4 antenna are now on the outside of the Tx it would make a difference. Hope a connection came loose or something. Hope you find something Masontrep!

Certainly looks ok at first glance. Here's hoping that something came loose...

EDIT: Oops, that's not the ill-performing one in the picture...

Last edited:
I can fly great at my office, but the amount of wifi interference around my house is staggering and I was hoping for better sig quality at home. I havent had a chance to take it back apart after my lunch flight, but I will in a bit. I did have my antennas pointed like you did in your pic. Ill post more info in a bit after I get it taken back apart and things checked out.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl