Wavy lines in videos in certain scenes (Vinyl Siding)

T

TriadAerial

I've been practicing filming some homes since I intend to do real estate videos one day. I'm filming in 720P/60FPS. For me this lower quality setting seems to work better as the files are much smaller and easier to work with and the quality still looks pretty good. I've filmed plenty of outdoor shots (trees, mountains, grass) and never noticed this "wavy lines" issue until I filmed this one specific house the other day. The lines in the vinyl siding, railing and roof shingles seems to come out in the video as very noticeable wavy lines. It really takes away from the quality of the video. The weird thing is the original video doesn't seem to show it much but when I put it into any editor it stands out right away.

Anyone know what setting I can change to resolve this?

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• Wavy lines.JPG
    Wavy lines.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 524
Couple things you can do. This is called a Moire pattern, this is more apparent when a video is compressed. This is also more apparent when shooting at a higher frame rate. Try shooting at a higher resolution and lower frame rate. Also a ND filter to create some motion blur would help too.

Reactions: Digdat0
I have an ND4 filter on it already. Maybe if I lower it from 60fps to 30fps it'll help?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

It should help. Moire is also more evident a t lower resolutions, try jumping up to 1080 too and see if it helps.

Thank you. I really appreciate the quick and helpful feedback.

The weird thing is the original video doesn't seem to show it much but when I put it into any editor it stands out right away.

Also keep in mind that if you are in a video editor, you may be looking at a smaller preview which is re-rezzed to fit in the preview window of your editor. That might make the jagged lines look much worse. Just keep in mind that because you see them in the preview window of your editor doesn't mean they will be in the final rendered video. If the original is acceptable but you're only seeing it in your editor, that might be fine as most video editors are just showing you a rough draft and you can't judge quality until the final rendering.

Mike

Also keep in mind that if you are in a video editor, you may be looking at a smaller preview which is re-rezzed to fit in the preview window of your editor. That might make the jagged lines look much worse. Just keep in mind that because you see them in the preview window of your editor doesn't mean they will be in the final rendered video. If the original is acceptable but you're only seeing it in your editor, that might be fine as most video editors are just showing you a rough draft and you can't judge quality until the final rendering.

Mike
Good point Mike, Adobe Premiere shows a significantly lower resolution preview prior to rendering the output. This would give a much more dramatic looking Moire pattern then the render video.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

After rendering the video the lines weren't very apparent but in the preview they looked awful. Good point.

I filmed another house today and upped my settings from 720P to 1080P and lowered FPS from 60 to 30 and now it looks much worse. There are a lot more wavy lines and even in full screen playing the videos directly off the SD card. I don't think I can even use the footage unless there's a way to remove the lines. I hope I don't have to redo my videos. Any ideas?

Turn the sharpness down to -2 to -3. All 3 of them in the camera settings should be -2 -2 -2, but on sharpness sometimes -3 is better.

Has nothing to do with resolution or frame rate.

Reactions: Susruth

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl