Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Sign up for a weekly email of the latest drone news & information

Walk me through the process, please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Buk, Aug 6, 2014.

  1. Buk


    Feb 28, 2013
    Likes Received:
    Iowa, United States
    I would like to take some aerial videos above a community college. The videos are for personal use to be given to a friend, who will use them for personal use. Hobby, not commercial use by all parties.

    I have spoken to the security office of the college and anticipate approval as my friend was a longtime member of the Board of Directors of the college. I've said the security office may review all videos produced before I leave the campus at the end of the flights

    The college is one mile from and Interstate, the Interstate separates the college from The Eastern Iowa (CID) airport whose outer boundary is three miles from the proposed flight of the Phantom on the college campus. I will not be flying beyond the property line of the campus.

    I think the airport is a Class C airport and I think I need to notify or ask permission from the air traffic controller to fly above the college campus at a height of 100 feet AGL 3 miles from the airport.

    When I call the tower, what should be the exact words I use and what do I say? What information will I need to provide them?

    Thanks for clarifying this,