Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

vtx Filter/Power Supply Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TechJunkieRC, Feb 25, 2014.

1. TechJunkieRC

I can't seem to find a clear answer on this so here goes. I have the Fatshark Predator V2 kit. It has a 250mW vtx and a fitler/power supply adapter.In getting the Phantom ready for travel I would like to clean it up, especially since I am hanging more stuff (ie Flytrex) off of it. Is there any reason I could not put the fatshark filter/power supply adapter inside of the Phantom while I have it apart? I am not aware of any issues and I am not looking to create any new ones. I would like to install the vtx inside as well but I do not have the necessary bulkhead sma connector on hand to accomplish this right now. Plus, I would like to install the iOSD mini some day so internal space will be a premium at some point.

Thanks

Brian
    TechJunkieRC

2. Gizmo3000

The real question you should have asked was: Do I need the Filter/power Supply in the first place
    to which the answer is: nope!

Many of us simply use the Aux Power to directly power the Fatshark Tx.
    just snp the red and black cables and use male/female JST's so you can easily connect and disconnect.

3. amrflyingdude

I recently was in front of this same question. Due to weight I went ahead and removed it, no difference whatsoever and I have the same kit you do. This filter is only a CAP who reacts to interference, it works on certain frequencies but you will not notice much by not having it.

At least in my case I am not missing it at all.

4. TechJunkieRC

Very good gentlemen! I thought, incorrectly it appears, that it also lowered the voltage from 12 to 5 for the vtx and camera. I know the camera runs a lower voltage since I am running the 600TVL. I just looked at the vtx and it in fact does say 6-17v on the power in side. You learn something new every day! Not a big weight savings but a savings none the less!

Thanks again!

5. amrflyingdude

Well. Not probably a big time saver but it helps. I fly now 30 to 45 second longer since I removed the filter and the TVL600. I use my go pro now.

Heard complaints of it freezing and such, not me, I have had nothing but an amazing experience using my go pro for FPV. also comes with an added benefit, since it feeds a wide farm to the googles I see a black stripe on top and bottom on my FPV, right where my EZOSD puts the flight info and makes it even easier to see!

6. TechJunkieRC

Any difference in video quality with the filter out of the circuit? I guess I am in the camp of why did they spend the time and money to include it if it isn't beneficial? I am too close to leaving on vacation with the wife and Phantom to really make too many changes to my Phantom that I don't have time to test. I would not think that this one would be a deal breaker. This is my first FPV setup so I am still learning!

Thanks again for the time to reply!