Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

Now I am wondering if you do a splitter for the can bus giving you the connection like the pmu v2 would. the pmu has a positive and negative connection to the main board. since the new canbus module, the landing gear leg model, is being used, would that be supplying the positive and negative? where else could the canbus get the power?

dteca said:
Now I am wondering if you do a splitter for the can bus giving you the connection like the pmu v2 would. the pmu has a positive and negative connection to the main board. since the new canbus module, the landing gear leg model, is being used, would that be supplying the positive and negative? where else could the canbus get the power?
dteca... If I'm not mistaken, you can use a Can Bus Hub to fix your situation...
I haven't done that mod yet (still have the upgrade board in my P1.5) But, I've seen them on eBay ...

Here's a diagram that might help you:
$_12.JPG

Hi PJA. Yes that is a solution. the pmu and the can hub add more weight. If all else fails, that will be the solution.

New FC to test + Spare parts = Danger..... We've heard of a P1.5 - well I introduce you to the 4s P1.V :D

IMG_5874.jpg

No room in the tiny P1 shell for the battery but screw it.... I'm going to velcro a 4000mah 4s to its *** and light the fuse :twisted:

I am still trying to figure this out. I have installed things correct as far as I can figure. when powered up the I get the proper led codes. I have installed the pmu v2 and that seems to work fine. with the p2 board, I have a canbus connection. I purchased the canbus modules leg module. there is a 0.30 volt difference. how does the leg module canbus get the other 2, ch and cl, signals? my guess is the pmu v2 gets those signals from the gps wires which then goes to the naza. if that is the case, then I need to get the gps signal to the board. am I right about this? if this is true, then I won't have to get a can hub. help!

I bought an iosd a few months ago and was waiting for this upgrade time to install it. I bought fpv components from ready made rc and have had good results with their products. so now to install things. I have my pmu v2, iosd, and groundstation in that order. ground station works fine. without iosd the fpv works, using a cable to connect cam, tx, and power. so another cable to connect all is used to work with iosd. I can not get any video with the isod. I have checked continuity on all wires, even through connectors. the iosd just blinks. the wiki show there should be a solid green light, not a flashing one. am I doing something wrong?

Hi,

I presently own a Phantom 1 and want to upgrade its' motors and esc's with the newly released Phantom II motors and esc's.
Does anyone know if these new components are compatible with the Phantom I? I wrote to DJI and they advised me that they weren't and suggested that I purchase a Phantom II. If not, why? Will I need to make any additional upgrades to my Phantom I in order to make the new motors and esc's compatible?

After posting this question in another thread, I received a number of responses. I think its been concluded that if I were to make this modification I would need:

1. Phantom 2 Shell
2. Phantom 2 Motherboard
3. The new Upgraded Motors
4. The new Phantom 2 ESC's v2
5. I keep my Phantom 1 Naza

Since everyone on this thread is attempting to modify their P1 into a P2 shell, is all that I will require or am I missing something?

Has anyone else upgrade to the new motors and esc's or is considering the upgrade?

Thanks

dteca said:
I am still trying to figure this out. I have installed things correct as far as I can figure. when powered up the I get the proper led codes. I have installed the pmu v2 and that seems to work fine. with the p2 board, I have a canbus connection. I purchased the canbus modules leg module. there is a 0.30 volt difference. how does the leg module canbus get the other 2, ch and cl, signals? my guess is the pmu v2 gets those signals from the gps wires which then goes to the naza. if that is the case, then I need to get the gps signal to the board. am I right about this? if this is true, then I won't have to get a can hub. help!

You might be overloading things by plugging items into the PMUv2 and the Canbus port on the leg at the same time. The P2 board is, in itself, the PMUv2 and hence the mini CAN-BUS output that goes to the leg is the equivilent of the port on the PMUv2. You would normally daisy chain the system through other components or via the hub. You are trying to use 2 things via the same circuit and I think that is the problem. Try taking the PMUv2 CANBUS out of the loop, plug iOSD into the leg mount and then plug the ground station into the iOSD port. That should work.

As for the camera - that will probably be an issue caused by all of this. What camera/gimbal is it?

Stinger said:
Hi,

I presently own a Phantom 1 and want to upgrade its' motors and esc's with the newly released Phantom II motors and esc's.
Does anyone know if these new components are compatible with the Phantom I? I wrote to DJI and they advised me that they weren't and suggested that I purchase a Phantom II. If not, why? Will I need to make any additional upgrades to my Phantom I in order to make the new motors and esc's compatible?

After posting this question in another thread, I received a number of responses. I think its been concluded that if I were to make this modification I would need:

1. Phantom 2 Shell
2. Phantom 2 Motherboard

Since everyone on this thread is attempting to modify their P1 into a P2 shell, is all that I will require or am I missing something?

Has anyone else upgrade to the new motors and esc's or is considering the upgrade?

Thanks

you will need a battery door to keep everything inside - there are a few on shapeway and reasonably priced. You will also need the new 9450 props to make use of the new esc/motors.

My opinion is that the new esc and motors will give you slightly more power, whether this is noticeable is another matter and will be dependent on how heavy your phantom is as well as the conditions you are flying in.

Stinger said:
Hi,

1. Phantom 2 Shell
2. Phantom 2 Motherboard

Thanks

Tread carfeully..... I think, but have not yet had confirmation, that the v2 ESC firmware (hard programmed onto the board) might reject input signals from anything other than the P2 NAZA (similar to the smart battery issue). Maybe Elguano can confirm this (he tends to be the man in the know on such electronics).

Personally I'd not buy the new motor/ESC combo without checking this out (unless you are like me and tend to buy stuff knowing it might not work properly but are happy to share the disaster :lol: )

On that note the P1.V flew 6 inches in a cartwheel upside down breaking 2 props.... one must remember when using a 4in1 ESC to check M1 is in fact M1 and not M4 as it was :roll: Live and learn! Holy crap it's gonna be a rocket ship though! 1052g AUW with 4000mah, OSD and Camera :mrgreen:

Dewey I understand what you are saying there. at this time I am just trying to use one at a time. the pmu is soldered on the board right now. if I don't utilize the the pmu and and use the leg module my gs does not connect. I don't think the board has the gps signal. doesn't the board need the gps signal? I don't think the p2 board and the p1 gps will interact. I am beginning to think the p2 board is not good for the p1.5 upgrade. and looking at the post from Stinger, I am wondering if the p2 esc's would help my situation. I am beginning to think I need the p2 gps to really take full advantage of the p2 board.

dteca said:
Dewey I understand what you are saying there. at this time I am just trying to use one at a time. the pmu is soldered on the board right now. if I don't utilize the the pmu and and use the leg module my gs does not connect. I don't think the board has the gps signal. doesn't the board need the gps signal? I don't think the p2 board and the p1 gps will interact. I am beginning to think the p2 board is not good for the p1.5 upgrade. and looking at the post from Stinger, I am wondering if the p2 esc's would help my situation. I am beginning to think I need the p2 gps to really take full advantage of the p2 board.
dteca...

Watch the installation of the iOSD on a P2 Circuit Board in the video below. It shows you the set up through the Canbus, NOT the PMU, which you don't need... Remember, you still basically have a Phantom 1 (or in your case a Fc40) in a Phantom 2 shell with the P2 Circuit Board as a sort of upgrade board (no pmu needed)...

Once you install the iOSD and Canbus as shown in the video, you connect the GPS cable from the top part of the P2 shell into the black port on the P2 board as shown in the pic of my uninstalled board (above the hastily drawn red arrow - lol)... It even says GPS in very tiny letters to label the port... This should work...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v91nelBVoH0[/youtube]

15241654693_d386304a09_c.jpg

Hey Wtneo, yes I forgot to mention the Shapeway door that I have my eye on and the new props. Presently I fly FPV with Zenmuse Gimbal.

Hey Dewey, just want to mention that it was your YouTube videos that got me thinking of the upgrade. They re good. :) Just getting around to it now. And it was Elguano who I have been communicating with regarding this upgrade on the other thread. He suggested to take a look at your thread.

I figure the total cost of this upgrade including the Shapeway door and props will be around the $400.00 Canadian. Add a P2 battery and we are looking at about $525.00. Is it worth it or do I just buy a new P2 with the new gimbal and 1 battery for $1,100.00? Something I will have to consider before I make the upgrade. And there is always the Inspire 1 to consider as well.

Mark

Stinger said:
Hey Wtneo, yes I forgot to mention the Shapeway door that I have my eye on and the new props. Presently I fly FPV with Zenmuse Gimbal.

Hey Dewey, just want to mention that it was your YouTube videos that got me thinking of the upgrade. They re good. :) Just getting around to it now. And it was Elguano who I have been communicating with regarding this upgrade on the other thread. He suggested to take a look at your thread.

I figure the total cost of this upgrade including the Shapeway door and props will be around the $400.00 Canadian. Add a P2 battery and we are looking at about $525.00. Is it worth it or do I just buy a new P2 with the new gimbal and 1 battery for $1,100.00? Something I will have to consider before I make the upgrade. And there is always the Inspire 1 to consider as well.

Mark

Thanks Mark. Glad you found the vids helpful. Safe to say if Elguano doesn't know if the v2 escs will work then no one will yet. Probably just no one in the P1.5 world has tried it yet.
Interest point regards the costs.

Personally i'd say its not worth the upgrade to new escs and motors. Better bet is to just get Anti-gravity or E300 motors, keep stock escs and get the 9443 or 9450 props. I guess it really depends on how much an extra minute or two (max) is worth to you because you won't get anything more than that out of the new power setup. I also highly recomend the P2 batt... Just soooo much more manageable than all the y-harness or xt60 wiring for day to day living.

Whether it is worth the $1100 investment then it really comes down to your needs. You get a good deal with the H3-3d bundle but you don't get a gcu with it which limits future options if/when you want to go bigger. If you are doing long flight filming or mapping then a ne P2v2 is a good investment as the app SDK that allows app developers to build for the Phantom is only for the P2 Naza (no luck for 1.5ers there). 18+ mins is rarely actually needed in many cases so just consider that when buying.

Hi, Sorry I meant that he believes that they will work. He just mentioned you and your thread during our conversation when I mention that I have been watching your videos. I thought I would do some more reading here and pose the same questions to get other inputs. Its nice to know that Im talking to the two main guys who know a lot about this upgrade.

I was considering the Tiger Anti-Gravity motors as well as the E300's. Maybe that's the way to go. It would save me the cost of the esc's and motherboard.

Or I could sit back and relax and fly with what I have, save my money and get a Inspire next year. :):) Those are nice. I agree 18 mins is along time to fly. 10 to 12 mins is long enough for me.

Just out of curiosity what kind of times are you getting with the Phantom 1.5 and a P2 battery? I assume you are flying FPV with gimbal.

Stinger said:
Hi, Sorry I meant that he believes that they will work. He just mentioned you and your thread during our conversation when I mention that I have been watching your videos. I thought I would do some more reading here and pose the same questions to get other inputs. Its nice to know that Im talking to the two main guys who know a lot about this upgrade.

I was considering the Tiger Anti-Gravity motors as well as the E300's. Maybe that's the way to go. It would save me the cost of the esc's and motherboard.

Or I could sit back and relax and fly with what I have, save my money and get a Inspire next year. :):) Those are nice. I agree 18 mins is along time to fly. 10 to 12 mins is long enough for me.

Just out of curiosity what kind of times are you getting with the Phantom 1.5 and a P2 battery? I assume you are flying FPV with gimbal.

Ahhh ok. Yeah I mean the principal is that there is a 4 pin input from the NAZA per ESC as per the v1's... 3 standard servo + 1 for LED usage (not used on a 1.5 conversion). It just depends if DJI programmed something in the firmware that checks for the NAZA software and uses it to manage the output... unlikely but by no means impossible. Don't let the fact that DJI say it doesn't work should put you off... cause of course they want you to buy a new one :roll:

If 18-20 mins is a luxury and if you are even close to being able to afford an Inspire 1 in the next year then I'd say save the money and invest in one. I have to say I really love the look of it. It ticks nearly all the boxes for an out the box solution IMO. and I really do want one too!! I just can't justify the cost unless I start using for legit commercial business and that adds £1600 to the price for a CAA license.... so yes I'll probably have one by Xmas knowing me!! :mrgreen: Hey the world needs an Inspire 1.5 some day afterall! :lol:

I say all this but I know that little itch in the wallet with these things.... so check in here when you've upgraded AND bought an Inspire too :D

DeweyAXD said:
Hey the world needs an Inspire 1.5 some day afterall! :lol:
Can't wait to see that mod... LOL :cool:

I agree regarding DJI wanting me to buy a P2. That's the main reason why I came here a starting asking about upgrading my motors. Still debating on that topic.

Like you I have an itch for these things as well. I have been watching the Inspire 1 videos for the past half hour and now I really want one. I may have one before Xmas too. I might have to start a DJI Anonymous Meeting to get counselling to prevent from making that step until the spring. :):) They are very cool though and yes I love the look as well.

Im guessing that the next evolution in the Inspire App will be a ground station. It seems that's the only thing its missing right now. It has a partial ground station with its ability to automatically take off and land but I think part needs to be expanded upon. Other then that, I really like it.

And yeah, you re right, I will probably do both...upgrade and buy. You know me so well :):)

Stinger said:
I agree regarding DJI wanting me to buy a P2. That's the main reason why I came here a starting asking about upgrading my motors. Still debating on that topic.

Like you I have an itch for these things as well. I have been watching the Inspire 1 videos for the past half hour and now I really want one. I may have one before Xmas too. I might have to start a DJI Anonymous Meeting to get counselling to prevent from making that step until the spring. :):) They are very cool though and yes I love the look as well.

Im guessing that the next evolution in the Inspire App will be a ground station. It seems that's the only thing its missing right now. It has a partial ground station with its ability to automatically take off and land but I think part needs to be expanded upon. Other then that, I really like it.

And yeah, you re right, I will probably do both...upgrade and buy. You know me so well :):)

Many many pages back I'm sure we talked in here about get some AA style 'Phantoms Anonymous' chips! "I'm David and its been 3 days since my last ReadymadeRC purchase" :lol: Meh you only live once and who knows in 2 years none of us will be able to use any of this stuff for fear of crashing it into a million Amazon delivery quads :roll: I say enjoy it!.... but I am no role model for the married family man!! :twisted:

Phantom 1.V will fly 2moz (more than 6 inches this time i hope as its the only day forecasted over the whole week with no rain!!). I have to say, so far the Eagletree Vector is looking like a great NAZA alternative.... built in excellent OSD, total customisation (choose where/what shows on screen across up to 6 available screens!). Just hoping it flys as well as it installs!

IMG_5884.jpg

IMG_5875.jpg

IMG_5885.jpg

Dewey - the 4s mod to Phantom works well except for 1 thing. If you're using a Zenmuse gimbal using the p2 configuration (no external GCU) the gimbal goes through the start up motions then goes limp. It must have the external GCU for the gimbal to handle the 4s battery. Found that out when doing a 1.5 conversion for a friend.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart