Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

Danny-B- said:
Hi folks ... i lean more towards the 1.5 conversion each day ! .. does anyone know a cheap place to buy the Phantom 2 shell in the UK or is £50 the cheapest i can get my hands on one ? .. 50 squid always seems a hell of a price for some plastic, but hey ho!

http://www.buildyourowndrone.co.uk/dji- ... shell.html

£41.16 inc vat and a great place to buy IMO

GearLoose said:
I'm worried about my P2 batteries.

I have 3 DJI batteries and in the past week I've noticed a definite change in how they behave. For example, I flew all 3 batteries today after recharging yesterday. Very shortly after take off the voltage on two batteries dropped down in the range of 10.6 and then lowered even further, to 10.4, 10.3, etc. I continued to fly using a timer and squeaked out ten minutes. (Both recharged around 83%.)

The third battery is the newest and has maybe ten flights, and the others have no more than 30 flights.

I've never totally discharged these P2 batteries, which I understand is recommended by DJI. But... without a P2 charger, how do I do that safely? And by "complete discharge" do they literally mean to flat-line the battery, down to zero?

To top things off I had a couple of serious adrenaline flights today. In the first instance, I thought I'd try a 10 meter high waypoint flight along a narrow meandering salmon stream. Normally I fly waypoint missions at 20 meters AGL or more. Miss Piggy was about 350 meters out, doing just fine, when I realized she was starting to brush against tall grass. I tried and failed repeatedly to regain control... then... nothing but fpv static, loss of connection. I eventually found her belly-up in the grass, thankfully undamaged.

On the next flight I flew over another long and nearly straight creek at 35 meters. At about 500 meters distance I tried to turn away from a nearby tree line but appeared to lose radio control. Instead of turning away from the trees Miss Piggy turned toward them, directly toward disaster. Fortunately, however, my extensive experience with crashing and panic attacks finally paid off -- I instantly hit the Failsafe switch and lo-and-behold, she suddenly stopped, thought for a few moments and then turned obediently around and headed home.

One of those days!

Safest way is to fly it till 1.5 bars are flashing and then set it on the ground ticking over until 1 bar is flashing. I tend never to go further than that. It is still a lipo so flat line zero cannot be healthy IMO.

Odd that she wasn't responding at that range. What TX are you using these days GL?

Thanks, Dewey, I also don't like the idea of totally draining a Lipo -- I've done that accidentally to a couple of smaller Lipos and it didn't end well.

I'm using a Futaba T8J radio, previously very dependable. The farthest I'd previously flown without losing radio control was close to 800 meters. The problems I had yesterday were over open ground, so this is both puzzling and troubling. Tomorrow I will try a careful range test and hope that this was just a fluke.

GearLoose said:
Thanks, Dewey, I also don't like the idea of totally draining a Lipo -- I've done that accidentally to a couple of smaller Lipos and it didn't end well.

I'm using a Futaba T8J radio, previously very dependable. The farthest I'd previously flown without losing radio control was close to 800 meters. The problems I had yesterday were over open ground, so this is both puzzling and troubling. Tomorrow I will try a careful range test and hope that this was just a fluke.

Sounds like a one off to me. Never had a problem with the T8J myself and I am still using the 2008SB with my 14sg too. I had the Phantom at 1.5km with the T8J over open ground too. Very odd. As always I guess we just don't know what odd signals are floating around waiting to cause problems. Maybe the FHSS just took a bit of time to jump you onto a clean band.

Anybody had much time with the 9450 props? I was aiming to get some but they are all either pre-order or out of stock at my usual haunts. Wondering if they will prove a worthy investment.

Re: 9450s - they're a little more aggressive than the P2's, a little noisier too. They lift the bird quicker is about only thing I've noticed, no extra times actually a little less (30secs+ seconds) I found they work great on my 450 which is another heavily w/IOSD mini, H3 and Ground station.

Re: Battery drain - using a friends P2, watched his battery % and at 1 flashing bar you're getting near the 12% mark and that's where I've been running my P2 batteries. I usually land it at second warning then let it idle on the ground until one flashing green. I know I have at least one if not more closing in on the 300 "DJI cycle of death" but have not seen any decrease in times or adverse anomolies so keep putting them up.

Hello! I read almost the whole 105 pages but still have questions :)

Could anyone give details about a Phantom v1.1.1 to 1.5 conversion with P2 board?

What I need is clear to me:
1 P2 shell
1 P2 board
1 CAN-BUS connector and cable (the one on the P2 leg)

I can keep the Phantom v1.1.1 Motors, ESC and LED.

The question is more how to connect everything.
1. ESC directly to the NAZA (check) (need longer cables)
2. LED directly to the NAZA (check) (need a longer cable)
3. Power from P2 board to the NAZA x3 (check)
4. GPS from the top shell cover to the p2 board ? (like for the Phantom upgrade board)
5. GPS cable from the board to the NAZA EXP ?
6. Compass goes straight to the GPS

I read that pluging the GPS directly to the board will not function because the NAZA is not going to get GPS info...

The thing is I would like to have integrated PMU V2 and GCU AND the CAN-BUS port without having to do the Sarawuth method because now all parts are available...

Thanks in advance...

I'll try to answer your questions:
1. Connecting ESCs to NAZA shouldn't required longer cables - shell & diameter are literally the same
2. The standard P1 LED (for flight status etc) - you'll need to purchase external LED and most of us are attaching it to a leg ($10)
3. Re: Power - your options if you're going to use P2 battery buy the P2 connector and wire to boards' power input connections OR wire XT60 connector to board input connectors. Or one more option do both, then you have battery options.
4. You can connect GPS to board because the upgrade boards and P2 boards come with a cable soldered onto them to connect to your X3 input on Naza
Re: Compass - I've been using Naza V2 kit w/GPS puck that has compass built into it. That eliminates having external compass.

Funny you picked that one - it's designed by our resident Dewey who is the person who started this thread. If you contact him he has an assortment of battery covers that incorporate the LED.

Excellent advice MC.

I think (but am not 100% sure) that on the P2 board they pushed the NAZA forward (as it doesn't need the space for all the M1 input cables). If that is the case you might find one of the ESC cables a little tight. Small servo wire extension sorts that out though.

Yep LED options are a plenty. Out of all the options I've made/tried I agree that the v2 LED on my Leg mount (below) is the cleanest method but then I am using the P2 battery nearly all the time.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/upload-and-buy/1728011
625x465_1728011_2272771_1393718824.jpg

Oh and not really P1.5 relevent I guess but came up early in the thread... I can confirm that E600 props do NOT fit on E300 motors. They have an M5 internal thread not M6 it would seem. Still means I can use them on my MT2216's at least.

EMCSQUAR said:
Re: Battery drain - using a friends P2, watched his battery % and at 1 flashing bar you're getting near the 12% mark and that's where I've been running my P2 batteries. I usually land it at second warning then let it idle on the ground until one flashing green. I know I have at least one if not more closing in on the 300 "DJI cycle of death" but have not seen any decrease in times or adverse anomolies so keep putting them up.

That is very helpful and confirms my suspicion that I'm landing sooner than I actually need to. What are your voltage settings? I'm getting the first level warning at 10.4, so I assume I should drop that, perhaps to 10.2?

I'm at 10.4 and 10.1 but I make sure I'm near home point at 10.2 just for safety.

I started this conversion not sure what went where. I had to lengthen the wires from the number3 esc to the naza. I looked at both the P1 and P2 boards and got confused. There are many more connectors and on the P2 board. So I thought since the P1 worked, just make the same connections and don't worry about the "extra" connectors. I have mine set up so both types of batteries will work. It seems to work so far. Just a short flight to make sure things were right. Still waiting on a can-bus module from B&H and the battery door and naza holder from shapeways.

Tobrouk. Here is the pic you wanted. This is the P1 motors, ecs, and naza. with P2 shell and board, new led, and ipc. I still have other things to put on this before I considered this finished. But, it work and flies!

Attachments

• IMG_3973.JPG
    IMG_3973.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 405

You wouldn't have had to extend the cables if you spun the board, you have the board in backwards according to picture. The GPS plug on board faces the front of the aircraft. The battery connections should be the only connections to be extended, that's why NAZA seems further forward in your pic.

The IPC and power connections to the board are on the same side, the left, and the receiver is on the right. The esc wires are longer on the number 3 and 4 than they are on 1 and 2 esc's.

dteca said:
I started this conversion not sure what went where. I had to lengthen the wires from the number3 esc to the naza. I looked at both the P1 and P2 boards and got confused. There are many more connectors and on the P2 board. So I thought since the P1 worked, just make the same connections and don't worry about the "extra" connectors. I have mine set up so both types of batteries will work. It seems to work so far. Just a short flight to make sure things were right. Still waiting on a can-bus module from B&H and the battery door and naza holder from shapeways.

Tobrouk. Here is the pic you wanted. This is the P1 motors, ecs, and naza. with P2 shell and board, new led, and ipc. I still have other things to put on this before I considered this finished. But, it work and flies!
file.php

EMCSQUAR » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:32 am
You wouldn't have had to extend the cables if you spun the board, you have the board in backwards according to picture. The GPS plug on board faces the front of the aircraft. The battery connections should be the only connections to be extended, that's why NAZA seems further forward in your pic.

I'm looking at dteca's set up too EMC, and I think he has everything set up correctly... I just got my P2 Circuit Board also and I was carefully looking at it. The P2 Battery Plug is short and fits perfectly the way it's pictured above, and the NAZA v2 is positioned the same way I positioned my NAZA v1. The ESC connections on his NAZA are positioned toward the front of the craft, same as my v1 on my Upgrade Board. Logically, the P2 Board should fit the way dteca has it... At least that's the way I see it and how I planned to do mine...

If you notice, in the pic below of my Upgrade Board, everything basically looks the same. I had to extend the P2 Battery Plug to reach the proper side because of the location of the connector terminals. dteca put his Original RX where it fits best; on the proper side as his original Phantom where the screw mounts are, as opposed to me using the Futaba RX and fitting it where I had room...

Anyway, that's basically how I'm set up...

13480942355_2376c54942_o.jpg

Hi!

Thanks dteca for you picture! Helped a lot actually. But it remains one important question for me. Let me try to explain:

If you connect the compass to the GPS and the GPS to the NAZA directly (phantom 1 style) the Phantom will fly for sure but you will have no GPS data going through the board right? So you CAN Port will be unsusable for iOSD for exemple?

So I guess you have to plug the GPS AND the compass directly to the board (like Phantom 2)? But I read somewhere that it doesn't work...

I don't have the parts yet, I'm simply thinking it through... :)

Phantom 1 original board (the one I have):
Compass plugged to GPS
GPS plugged to EXP (NAZA)
NO CAN Port

Phantom 1 upgraded board:
Compass still plugged to GPS
GPS plugged to the board (new) and board cable to EXP on the NAZA
CAN Port available with Sarawuth mod

Phantom 2 board:
Compass plugged to the board (new)
GPS plugged to the board and cable to EXP on the NAZA
The GPS CAN port available without any DIY

Attachments

• IMG_3973_2.JPG
    IMG_3973_2.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 428

Tobrouk... Your idea does not work. I just tried to switch the wires and it acted like the gps was not connected. I checked out the difference of the P1, P2, and the P2 vision gps modules and they are different for each one. Now I will make sure the iosd works by using the onboard connection. I have a pmu I had for the the FC40 if all else fails.

Ok thanks for this confirmation! So now like you said, the next thing to check is if the CAN port will actually work with iOSD mini attached to it... and if the Zenmuse works... If not, 2 possibilities: PMU v2 or Phantom 2 GPS? But the GPS is still around 170 $...

Because without any direct connection between the board and the NAZA, you will have no data going to the board. Am I wrong on this?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODIN Reviews