Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

Thanks, EMCS, that is a convincing endorsement of the 450. It also sounds like just what I'm looking for, both in cost and capability.

All my parts have arrived. AAAArrrrrrrggggg!!!!!! ummmmm. I will be building a p2 utilizing parts from my fc40 and new parts, p2 control board, fpv hub, led. Just looking at the p2 control board and the fpv hub is a bit scary. is there a picture somewhere of the control board that explains what every thing on the board is? and not sure how the hub connects. I haven't opened my fc40 to start the build but knowing what everything is for would be helpful. i know it will all come together. it is just a bit scary looking at the parts and wondering what goes in that connector or that connector. a picture would be very helpful right now.

I'm in the same boat. I've just taken apart my FC40 and have a P2 board with all the trimmings. Just waiting on a few more parts before I attempt this Phantom 1.5 :geek:

dteca said:
All my parts have arrived. AAAArrrrrrrggggg!!!!!! ummmmm. I will be building a p2 utilizing parts from my fc40 and new parts, p2 control board, fpv hub, led. Just looking at the p2 control board and the fpv hub is a bit scary. is there a picture somewhere of the control board that explains what every thing on the board is? and not sure how the hub connects. I haven't opened my fc40 to start the build but knowing what everything is for would be helpful. i know it will all come together. it is just a bit scary looking at the parts and wondering what goes in that connector or that connector. a picture would be very helpful right now.

dteca said:
I don't know if this picture will help (I found it on the internet)... It can show you where the basics go... I haven't done the P1.5 Mod with the P2 Circuit Board yet. Mine has the upgrade board in it. I think this pic might give you a good start. I'll probably bookmark it for myself till I'm ready to upgrade again...

http://www.photodady.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/DSC2904.jpg

DSC2904.jpg

Thanks PJA. This is a good start. There seems to be many connectors at the back of the board. some i am not sure of. It looks like there is a connector in the comp slot and i cant tell where it goes. And the exp connector on the board, what goes there? and EMC suggested a fpv hub, i am not sure how that hooks up. hopefully things will become more clear when i open up the p1 or maybe not. anyway, it will be interesting ane fun.

Another thought i have had. am i going to need to download p2 assistant software even though i am still using the naza from fc40? it kink of looks like that is the case. can anyone confirm that for me? i guess my concern is is the naza from the p1 going to have any issues when i download and utilize the assistant software for the p2 board?

dteca said:
Thanks PJA. This is a good start. There seems to be many connectors at the back of the board. some i am not sure of. It looks like there is a connector in the comp slot and i cant tell where it goes. And the exp connector on the board, what goes there? and EMC suggested a fpv hub, i am not sure how that hooks up. hopefully things will become more clear when i open up the p1 or maybe not. anyway, it will be interesting ane fun.
dteca, try looking at the pictures in these links also:
http://www.kopterforum.de/gallery/image/224-dji-phantom-2-vision-seitenansicht/

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2074112

And here is a web search for the 'inside of a Phantom 2'... Check out some set ups here:
https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea...+a+Phantom+2&fr2=piv-news&fr=uh3_news_vert_gs

dteca said:
Another thought i have had. am i going to need to download p2 assistant software even though i am still using the naza from fc40? it kink of looks like that is the case. can anyone confirm that for me? i guess my concern is is the naza from the p1 going to have any issues when i download and utilize the assistant software for the p2 board?
If the FC40 is anything like my Phantom 1, you are just fitting the inside of the Phantom Fc40 into the Shell of a Phantom 2... The P2 board is set up, as I understand, to include the CanBus port plug, etc... NOT a new NAZA P2 Controller... So you will use the same software as you would for the FC40 NAZA...

Someone else will weigh in if I am wrong, but I don't think I am...

PJA said:
dteca said:
If the FC40 is anything like my Phantom 1, you are just fitting the inside of the Phantom Fc40 into the Shell of a Phantom 2... The P2 board is set up, as I understand, to include the CanBus port plug, etc... NOT a new NAZA P2 Controller... So you will use the same software as you would for the FC40 NAZA...

Someone else will weigh in if I am wrong, but I don't think I am...

PJ is right. First start with basics you'll connect ESCs to the corners of your P2 board Your Rx, Naza all transfer over and connect exactly as your FC40 is wired. Except your new board has Zenmuse direct plug and a built in canbus port. For starters here's the hub diagram. Don't be intimidated it's pretty simple once you get it layed out in front of you.

Attachments

• Collocation-23.jpg
    Collocation-23.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 901

PJA thanks for your help, search and rescue!!! you have answered many questions. i am now 90% confident in the build.
EMC that is a great diagram. the pieces are coming together. you guys are great help!!

Once you make the first flight - then you can thank us...

from what i have seen today, it looks like i need one thing. a canbus cable to attach to the board. i am thinking about getting the onleg part for $16.00. http://www.uavdirect.com/ProductDetails ... D&CartID=1, unless someone has a better cable find. after that i should fly with osd. yes!! and i will thank all again after flight. i wil take pics and post when i can.

Yea, that'll work vs doing my adapter cable described earlier. (these were not readily available before) With that it's plug & play.

Good to see some fresh blood taking to the P1.5 here (and the excellent support they are getting!).

PJA - That latest 'landing' looked really odd. Almost like the battery gave out on you or something. I also wonder about that landing gear causing odd turbulance maybe? Hope you've managed to dust it all off and get it going again.
A while back I talked about the T-Motor 2216 upgrade route but mentioned the sacrifice of the DJI props. This week I finally sourced the PA0029 and PA0039 adapters. Had to hop the pond and get them from ReadymadeRC. Net result though is DJI props (old and new) available to use on the MT2216's. The 800kv version + 9450 blades might be a path worth considering for your fatty?

Did a video about it here (more for the UK folk that can't get these adapters for no good reason) - OI.... a word with Simon maybe (not a T-motor supplier at present) ;)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs5yJZI-1oM[/youtube]

dteca - most of the FC40 was fitted with the original red P1 NAZA (DJI's cheeky way of selling surplus units after the P2 came on the horizon IMO). You will want to use the NAZA v2 2.20 assistant software not the P2 software (that only works with the special P2 v2 NAZA that is locked to the smart battery).

DeweyAXD said:
PJA - That latest 'landing' looked really odd. Almost like the battery gave out on you or something. I also wonder about that landing gear causing odd turbulance maybe? Hope you've managed to dust it all off and get it going again.
What's up Mr. D...

The landing in the video looked worse than it was. Nothing happened to my Fatty. (Although I did break two props when I took off from concrete and the Phantom pitched forward because I moved the elevator stick accidentally at the same time). I'm an animal when I fly... :lol:

My landing gear is a carbon fiber aftermarket that can take a beating on landings. I purposely bought it so I have the clearance below my gimbal and the bouncing would save any damage to my Phantom. I also like it because I can add my Garmin GPS and FatShark Transmitter on the included 'side shelves' (see video below)... However, I did put on home-made sponge foam landing skids which seem to give it an extra bounce. I may do away with those next flight...

I plan to add the E300 motors and ESC's along with the P2 Circuit Control Board in my next reincarnation of my P1.5. Right now I have the MN-2214-11 tiger motors... Your included video was very informative. Good things to know about the prop extensions... Thanks for posting...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPv_ImHuwnA[/youtube]

Nice to see you here "Sir Dewey" (aka Father of the P1.5)

I'm worried about my P2 batteries.

I have 3 DJI batteries and in the past week I've noticed a definite change in how they behave. For example, I flew all 3 batteries today after recharging yesterday. Very shortly after take off the voltage on two batteries dropped down in the range of 10.6 and then lowered even further, to 10.4, 10.3, etc. I continued to fly using a timer and squeaked out ten minutes. (Both recharged around 83%.)

The third battery is the newest and has maybe ten flights, and the others have no more than 30 flights.

I've never totally discharged these P2 batteries, which I understand is recommended by DJI. But... without a P2 charger, how do I do that safely? And by "complete discharge" do they literally mean to flat-line the battery, down to zero?

To top things off I had a couple of serious adrenaline flights today. In the first instance, I thought I'd try a 10 meter high waypoint flight along a narrow meandering salmon stream. Normally I fly waypoint missions at 20 meters AGL or more. Miss Piggy was about 350 meters out, doing just fine, when I realized she was starting to brush against tall grass. I tried and failed repeatedly to regain control... then... nothing but fpv static, loss of connection. I eventually found her belly-up in the grass, thankfully undamaged.

On the next flight I flew over another long and nearly straight creek at 35 meters. At about 500 meters distance I tried to turn away from a nearby tree line but appeared to lose radio control. Instead of turning away from the trees Miss Piggy turned toward them, directly toward disaster. Fortunately, however, my extensive experience with crashing and panic attacks finally paid off -- I instantly hit the Failsafe switch and lo-and-behold, she suddenly stopped, thought for a few moments and then turned obediently around and headed home.

One of those days!

Well i must say thanks to all the help with P2 transformation. after about 4 hours of thinking and soldering, i plugged in a battery. to my surprise, all the motors sounded great. i could not wait to try to fly it. i put the top on and gave it a try. it went up and i quickly put it down. all systems seemed to work great. still waiting for the battery cover. now i get to fine tune the craft. but it works.; i am a happy boy!!

dteca said:
Well i must say thanks to all the help with P2 transformation. after about 4 hours of thinking and soldering, i plugged in a battery. to my surprise, all the motors sounded great. i could not wait to try to fly it. i put the top on and gave it a try. it went up and i quickly put it down. all systems seemed to work great. still waiting for the battery cover. now i get to fine tune the craft. but it works.; i am a happy boy!!
I'm very happy for you... Can't wait to see some Video from your P1.5...

Good Luck and Happy Flying!!!

Hi folks ... i lean more towards the 1.5 conversion each day ! .. does anyone know a cheap place to buy the Phantom 2 shell in the UK or is £50 the cheapest i can get my hands on one ? .. 50 squid always seems a hell of a price for some plastic, but hey ho!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18