Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

Oh, and this post marks the 1000th post on this thread....

Glad to oblige... :cool:

PJA said:
Is there any clear, step by step process showing how to do this mod, whether it's been posted here or on the R/C Forums? I know an abridged version was listed here a few pages back... I've been hoping for someone to post a step by step video on how it's done...

Can the E300 ESC's and Motors be used with the P2 board upgrade also? :)

I'd hate to take apart and redo my P1.5 again since it's been flying extremely well... ;)

First off yes, the E300 ESCs can be used with the P2 board. And instead of making an adapter cable for the canbus cable, it's now available for sale (I recently saw it at Hobby Warehouse) it's now plug and play.
What I've been doing on the last couple I've done for folks is cutting the canbus end off of IOSD mini and soldering small four pin connector onto it to plug into small connector on P2 board. I'll try to get some pics up this weekend.

Here you go PJ. Attached pics.

Basically you cut canbus cable (or as I'm brazingly doing lately - IOSD canbus cable) and connect a small 4 pin connector.
Color codes Rv (power) - Red, gnd (ground) Brown, C H - Orange & C L - Yellow. You then plug small 4 pin directly to P2 board and have canbus power at other end. No PMUs, GCUs. I've also been using the small hub set up from DJI to keep wiring clean from Zenmuse gimbals.

Attachments

• Canbus Connector coding .png
    Canbus Connector coding .png
    993.4 KB · Views: 385
  • photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 390

EMCSQUAR said:
Here you go PJ. Attached pics.

Basically you cut canbus cable (or as I'm brazingly doing lately - IOSD canbus cable) and connect a small 4 pin connector.
Color codes Rv (power) - Red, gnd (ground) Brown, C H - Orange & C L - Yellow. You then plug small 4 pin directly to P2 board and have canbus power at other end. No PMUs, GCUs. I've also been using the small hub set up from DJI to keep wiring clean from Zenmuse gimbals.
WOW! Really appreciate this EMC... I see what you are doing there now... Other than that, I assume the install of the P2 board is basically the same as installing a P1 upgrade board...

The P2 board circuitry isn't going to affect the NAZA M controller or the battery, is it? And if I were to use the E300 ESC's would I need to add my own LED's to the arms for the lighting effect? I would think so....

Maybe I should just rebuild another P1.5 in the larger "Fat Phantom" shell. I basically have all the parts except the P2 Board right now... (Would the board fit correctly in the 'Fat' shell?)

Is there any way you can link me up to those two cables? I know where to get the DJI Hub Set Up....

Thanks! You're the best!!

P.J. :cool:

Interesting stuff MC. I was thinking of getting the 'on leg' port and doing something like that on the 1.5. I'd probably just chop the Phantom end of the hub cable and solder onto the wires I've already got in place. Suffice to say it would be a little more secure than the current setup.

PJA - Yep you'll need your own LED solutions if you use E300 ESC's. As far as I am aware the Fat Phantom has the standoffs to allow fitment of the original board and hence the P2 board should fit on it. I stand to be corrected on that from people that have tried it I guess :D

DeweyAXD said:
Interesting stuff MC. I was thinking of getting the 'on leg' port and doing something like that on the 1.5. I'd probably just chop the Phantom end of the hub cable and solder onto the wires I've already got in place. Suffice to say it would be a little more secure than the current setup.

PJA - Yep you'll need your own LED solutions if you use E300 ESC's. As far as I am aware the Fat Phantom has the standoffs to allow fitment of the original board and hence the P2 board should fit on it. I stand to be corrected on that from people that have tried it I guess :D

The "Fat Phantom comes w/a generic/std quad board and sorry to say P1 or 2 boards are too narrow. I used the standard board as a pattern and made a carbon support for the P2 board. I'd show it to you but I sold the "Super Phantom" to a gent in Brooklyn N Y.

Another note re: Fat Phantom - the shell and materials that it's made of is no-where near the quality of DJI. It's thin and very fragile as the guy I sold it to crashed the original and wants me to re-shell it for him in next couple of weeks.

Another dizzy ride with a horrendous ending... :eek:

Flying the P1.5 'Fatty' - at 1575 grams. OK, let's not blame it on the weight. I'm obviously not in control most of the time... Especially on landings... I don't know how much more my GLB gimbal can take... I think too many crash landings has taken it's toll. I had to heavily stabilize this video to get any smooth rendition of a decent Phantom flight... ;)

Only broke two props after two flights this time... (At least I don't have to rebuild it again... I'm getting better)... I have to get out more to fly... :lol:

No excuses, I know, but I am flying with a chipped bone in my left hand and a hairline fractured right elbow from a power walking fall I took 16 days ago... OH THE PAIN! :(

Enjoy, and have a good laugh! :cool:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onyESdLd9wM[/youtube]

I have read most of this thread and there is alot of info on here. I am going to do a 1.5 conversion but will end up doing the P2 board as well. I saw on page 77 the list of things needed for the conversion. thanks. that is great to have the list. I am in the process of looking for the P2 board.
1) is the same board used for the P2 and the P2 vision? part 10 circuit board.
2) do i need the cable package too? part 8 or part 22? I plan to have GS, iosd mini, zenmuse and gopro.
i am sure i will find i need more of something.
I got my shell the other day and i don't remember if i have seen any info on the usb port on the P2 shell in this thread.
3) is that hole utilized? if so, with what?
All i have seen is the standalone led mounted elsewhere. like on the landing gear.
4) If i use that, how do i plug in a usb on the board and the led?

I can't wait to do the conversion to a 1.5 errr 1.52. if i use the p2 board, will i not be allowed in to the P1.5 club?

dteca said:
I have read most of this thread and there is alot of info on here. I am going to do a 1.5 conversion but will end up doing the P2 board as well. I saw on page 77 the list of things needed for the conversion. thanks. that is great to have the list. I am in the process of looking for the P2 board.
1) is the same board used for the P2 and the P2 vision? part 10 circuit board.
2) do i need the cable package too? part 8 or part 22? I plan to have GS, iosd mini, zenmuse and gopro.
i am sure i will find i need more of something.
I got my shell the other day and i don't remember if i have seen any info on the usb port on the P2 shell in this thread.
3) is that hole utilized? if so, with what?
All i have seen is the standalone led mounted elsewhere. like on the landing gear.
4) If i use that, how do i plug in a usb on the board and the led?

I can't wait to do the conversion to a 1.5 errr 1.52. if i use the p2 board, will i not be allowed in to the P1.5 club?

Re: your questions
A) same board - P2 board sells for $55 -$59 at different vendors
B) Not sure cable pkges you're ref to but make sure you get small hub pkge $12 and extra Canbus cables
c) USB hole is not used
d) LED is external and usually mounted on a leg and it plugs into LED plug outlet top left of NAZA
e) calibration cable plugs into lower side of eternal LED

You'll save a ton of weigh using P2 board, especially if using Zenmuse & Ground Station. I've got it down to being able to move my gimbal, ground station& Tx between different aircraft in minutes. I currently own 5 aircraft and have 3 Zenmuse gimbals & 4 Gopros so it gets to be a juggling act but until I get them all fitted (budget considerations). I'm finding s nice as P1.5 is, my 450 is easier to fly and handles adverse weather better -this was taken day before our first snowfall and you'll see how close it comes to a tree not once but twice - http://youtu.be/G8kvQa2EfII?list=UU_2vD ... VSNdmm127A This is following day in 15mphwinds and snow - http://youtu.be/gpbIVUr07C8?list=UU_2vD ... VSNdmm127A

Thanks for you info and response EMCSQUAR. I will follow experienced pilots suggestions. Knowledge is great. I like your videos. My phantom is just the start for me. I want to learn as much as i can and then i will build an F450. I was encouraged by the news of a 425 Phantom but not sure now after your post of the quality of the case. Now to order the rest of the parts. Thanks again.

I found that in my search. i will check tomorrow but i think i just wrapped up my purchases for the build. I found the LED, board, and hub at Florida UAV. The shell and the IPC at different locations. Thanks for your help.

dteca said:
I found that in my search. i will check tomorrow but i think i just wrapped up my purchases for the build. I found the LED, board, and hub at Florida UAV. The shell and the IPC at different locations. Thanks for your help.

Feel free if you have any other questions - lots of good folks here.

yea looks like a chinese knockoff, of DJIs

Yeah that's def a knockoff. I didn't realize anybody had copied the FPV hub, or that enough of those are sold to make it worth the effort to do so :roll:

OI Photography said:
Yeah that's def a knockoff. I didn't realize anybody had copied the FPV hub, or that enough of those are sold to make it worth the effort to do so :roll:

I'm surprisd also heck the DJIs' only sell for like $10-12 at reg suppliers.

EMCSQUAR said:
I'm finding s nice as P1.5 is, my 450 is easier to fly and handles adverse weather better

EMCS, I'm intrigued by your comment above and wonder if you'd like to elaborate a bit on comparisons between your 450 and P1.5?

I'm going through the "shoes or boots" torment of trying to decide if my back-up quad will be another P1.5 or some variation on the Phantom... or even a PixHawk quad, to gain more advanced waypoint features.

The big advantage of staying with DJI, of course, is that I already know the hardware and software, not to mention the parts and spares I've accumulated, including a complete Ground Station.

Could I build a 450 with all of the luxurious features I've jammed into Miss Piggy but with longer flight time and perhaps better handling -- whatever "better handling" actually means?

GearLoose said:
EMCSQUAR said:
I'm finding s nice as P1.5 is, my 450 is easier to fly and handles adverse weather better

EMCS, I'm intrigued by your comment above and wonder if you'd like to elaborate a bit on comparisons between your 450 and P1.5?

I'm going through the "shoes or boots" torment of trying to decide if my back-up quad will be another P1.5 or some variation on the Phantom... or even a PixHawk quad, to gain more advanced waypoint features.

The big advantage of staying with DJI, of course, is that I already know the hardware and software, not to mention the parts and spares I've accumulated, including a complete Ground Station.

Could I build a 450 with all of the luxurious features I've jammed into Miss Piggy but with longer flight time and perhaps better handling -- whatever "better handling" actually means?
I've found with my 450 using DJI E300, Zenmuse, Ground Station & IOSD mini it flys easier, handles wind better and with a 5000 or 8000mah battery has similar flight times to Phantom (with 5k I get 12 mins fully loaded, w/8k I get roughly 16 -17 mins) - yet is eaier to fly. And cost wise has been cheaper to build than doing another conversion. Another plus is "no space" considerations - all things attach easier. You can pick up 450 frames for as little as $50 on ebay, then add E300 and (in my case Futaba Rx) I can build one for about $800 + camera. Fly a 450 once and you'll find you'll have a hard time going back to a Phantom.
I have a 550 coming and of course will soon have an Inspire. I've seen the S800, S1000 and lately the S900 and wasn't impressed - I keep going back to the reliable 450 - ths is the one I bought - http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-F450-HJ450- ... 3f393276e9 and of my "fleet" it's my goto for reliability and stabiliy. Heck I've flown it in 30 mph winds with literally no issues, whereas the Phantoms were kites. I hate to admit that but Phantoms were my intro to the hobby.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z