Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

Just an update to the bretheren P1.5ers - built myself a 450 (pics below) I should've done this months ago. Although I'm spoiled with Zenmuse H3 3D on three of my rigs, I was sent a 2 axis FeiYu gimbal for evaluation. I'm impressed with it's stoutness and it's pretty close to plug and play.. but instructions in "Chinglish" are far from adequate and the other issue I'm having with it is pitch control for tilt action. It moves at a "majestic pace" then when I center it it goes beyond center point and has to be coaxed back. I wrote them - (FeiYu) and got patented reply "refer to link" - which is PDF version of printed instructions which are vague at best. I see a gimbal disection in my future - but heck it was free.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    683.8 KB · Views: 552
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    732.5 KB · Views: 485

EMC, how about some details on your 450 build, especially performance as compared to the P 1.5?

Well well you guys continue to impress me! I'm back!

Sorry I vanished off the face of the planet over the last few months! I've been out doing stupid amounts of that 'work' stuff, a bit of beta testing for a couple of RC companies and dabbling in fixed wing (I say dabbling.... since May I now have 3 planes). Results of that have been ummm... 'mixed' :lol: (I am actually 'landing' a lot more these days though).

IMG_4770.jpg

Really chuffed to see the 1.5 faithful are still contributing in here. I still get a million questions from my RC Groups blog, youtube channel and Shapeways store so its nice to see people are still getting use out of these mods. Even more pleased to see all the guys in here have been supporting the new comers too.

Andras - welcome aboard. Your soldering and Can-Bus looks like one of the better examples I've seen so far actually.

I'll try and keep up apperences. Kinda rude not to!

Oh and don't think for a second I'm not a Phantom man anymore.... my P1.5 did some sterling (and rather risky) work a couple weeks back on my holiday on the Lochs of Scotland. It is still such a great aircraft for just grab and fly. I just wish my Naza didn't take 5 mins to warm up.... might replace it for a v2 some day. For me shots like this are what its all about... H3-3D much desired now!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CG39UYS6mg[/youtube]

@MC - I am pretty clued in with the FY-G3 gimbal (half the videos online about it seem to be mine lol). How are you controlling pitch? Are you going through the NAZA or are you going directly into the RX? Also have you got the latest Firmware (I apolagise for asking that but it versions make big differences to performance). Its a really good gimbal IMO.... its no Zenmuse but it holds up to a LOT of wind resistance. I've been using mine on my Icon A5 and it only ever trips out when flying fast against 15+ mph winds. Plus if you got it for free then its even better! :lol:
From what you describe you are using the latest firmware where Feiyu messed with the pitch control to smooth it out a bit. The downside was that getting it to stop where you want it is really tricky (even worse if going through the NAZA).

So far the 450 feels lighter but not as agile as the p1.5. They're both running the E300 set ups and Naza V2 and I find I'm having to lower gains on 450. On stock Naza V2 settings I was getting a little shutter. I'm also running a 4s 5000 mah battery on 450 so far 12mins till 1st warning. As mentioned I installed a FeiYu 2 axis gimbal on it and for anyone who wants a nice hardy gimbal for less than a Zenmuse price this seems to be a good alternative. Here's a little test did yesterday - 2 short passes with gimbal - 1st pass with stock gains, 2nd with gains down a "click" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx-oj8p ... tCA6ik_C3S

Nice to see you Sir Dewey. You nailed it on head with FeiYu and yes I did see your vids (good stuff) Unfortunately - I'm running my tilt adjust through Naza and so far it's tricky - for how long remains the question.

EMCSQUAR said:
So far the 450 feels lighter but not as agile as the p1.5. They're both running the E300 set ups and Naza V2 and I find I'm having to lower gains on 450. On stock Naza V2 settings I was getting a little shutter. I'm also running a 4s 5000 mah battery on 450 so far 12mins till 1st warning. As mentioned I installed a FeiYu 2 axis gimbal on it and for anyone who wants a nice hardy gimbal for less than a Zenmuse price this seems to be a good alternative. Here's a little test did yesterday - 2 short passes with gimbal - 1st pass with stock gains, 2nd with gains down a "click" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx-oj8p ... tCA6ik_C3S

Nice to see you Sir Dewey. You nailed it on head with FeiYu and yes I did see your vids (good stuff) Unfortunately - I'm running my tilt adjust through Naza and so far it's tricky - for how long remains the question.

Ahhh there's the problem then. Worth trying plugging it direct to the RX via an aux channel. That way you can add expo to slow the movement down, fiddle with rates, end points etc. You can do some of that via the NAZA but I've never had as much joy with it that way personally.

Gain lowering sounds about right too. I found I needed to dial mine way down when I built my 'layer cake' F450 monstrosity:

IMG_3660.jpg

the key is the extra height and subsequent 'pendulum' affect swinging under the frame causing resonance.

Also I can see you have the classic G3 micro wobbles going on. I'm guessing you are using their mount (and hence those horribly soft anti-vibration dampners). Well worth dremelling out the holes so they can accept DJI dampners (or getting shot of them all together).

Yea their isolators are wimpy and the jitters are a side to side movement. I found a little piece of foam between the plates cured the jitters. I also have the Futaba T8J and I'm playing with the VR settings to cure the tilt issue. Other than that, it's a good alternative to Zenmuse (but I'm so spoiled with Zem - Have one mounted on Kong 450, P2 & 2 P1.5s)

EMCSQUAR said:
Yep, she flew right over me, I had ZERO stick control. No atti or fail safe - zip,zero zilch. Just did advanced cal and compass cal. Compass # 1338. For 26 mins it was flying awesome, nice smooth (no wind - it was perfect) then she turned headed right towards me at 200 ft and right on by full tilt.

At 200 ft I find it hard to believe an RF hit - unless the GoPro bumped gimbal and set things in motion. Especially w/Futaba Rx and extended Futaba antennas.

Think it's time to ween down the fleet and build an octo.

I was talking to a person today who said in their cyber security group they wrote a simple Linux program to hijack a Phantom. He said he hasn't tested it on his Phantom and doesn't want to go to jail for hijacking someone elses. Remote possibility but scary thought. Weren't the Israelis screwing with enemy drones over them?

Welcome back Dewey, you've got some crazy innovative builds going on there :)

FredMurtz said:
EMCSQUAR said:
Yep, she flew right over me, I had ZERO stick control. No atti or fail safe - zip,zero zilch. Just did advanced cal and compass cal. Compass # 1338. For 26 mins it was flying awesome, nice smooth (no wind - it was perfect) then she turned headed right towards me at 200 ft and right on by full tilt.

At 200 ft I find it hard to believe an RF hit - unless the GoPro bumped gimbal and set things in motion. Especially w/Futaba Rx and extended Futaba antennas.

Think it's time to ween down the fleet and build an octo.

I was talking to a person today who said in their cyber security group they wrote a simple Linux program to hijack a Phantom. He said he hasn't tested it on his Phantom and doesn't want to go to jail for hijacking someone elses. Remote possibility but scary thought. Weren't the Israelis screwing with enemy drones over them?

You could easily cause a fly away by just turning on a wifi remote control for GoPro.

Rumor has it GoPro had a "tiff" with FCC about the remote control exceeding advertised power and supposedly have since addressed the issue.

Hi Guys, Great topic and fantastic detail throughout that touches on so many issues I am trying to resolve. As background I purchased an FC40 and think it was & still is a great starting point but... I soon realised even though the FC40 camera image quality was ok the lag and lack of stabilising are shortcomings. We had a GoPro 3 White so I purchased a Qantum Q-2D Gimbal and stability fixed but GoPro wifi lag (with iPhone) is unbearable. Plus my next lesson learnt is weight is the enemy and my 11 or 12 minutes are now 7 or 8 & nervous ones after a couple of crashes. The P2 Shell thing looked like the obvious answer to the battery issue but I have recently seen posts on modded P1 shells squeezing in Walkera 5200Mah Lipos + also the HK Multistar 4000 seems promising. HK seem to cop it around the forums but I bought my Gimbal from them and apart from it being slightly heavier than spec'd they have been fine in my limited experience. I guess I should get to a question and I apologise for rolling on. Even though this thread is about P1 into P2 I would appreciate your advice on whether to persevere with trying the mod of my P1 Shell first and/or the Multistar 4000 as an experiment? My next ambition is to get a real FPV setup with a DJI iOSD mini which is a challenge on so many fronts. The upgrade board/canbus mod idea is definitely not for me as my soldering is like my welding - disgraceful! I can handle the big lumps but micro-surgery not. So my thought is either a PMU V2 (& hack it up to save grams) or a real left field idea of trying to install a P2 Board in the P1 Shell? Sorry again for dragging on but this thread is by far the best I have read - do you think the P2 on board GCU will drive my Quantum Q-2D Gimbal with the right wiring hook-ups? I am sure I had read that the separate unit could drive any generic 2 axis gimbal? (I have other queries about 2.4G TX's and FPV cameras but will put them in the FPV section as I don't want wear out my welcome of break any rules). I absolutely need more flight time and better FPV (lag) but the iOSD & Canbus is a luxury and I just love the tech aspect of it. :?: :?:

Tricky one there Bunya.

Personally I would always prompt for the P2 shell route. There is no denying that you can hack a P1 shell enough to house a 4000 - 5200mah battery but with a P2 shell the work is pretty much done for you without loosing any structural elements.

Also you should consider the long term mods. If you are going FPV with 2.4ghz then you are going to need more space (if nothing else the TX alone will be bigger as will the antenna).

In respect of the P2 board... i'd steer clear of that. The FC40 is virtually a stock P1 inside (apart from the 5.8ghz TX) and hence you won't need to worry about ESC wiring (remember the P2' LED system works via the ESC lights flashing).

Neither P2 or P1 upgrade GCU will run the gimbal in the way the Zenmuse works. The two boards take the output signal from the Zenmuse via the 8 pin cable (along with all the IMU data). None of that will work with a third part gimbal (ok it might be but you'd have to reverse engineer a Zenmuse for it). You should be able to control the tilt function via the NAZA though using the v2.20 Assistant software (which is only compatible with the upgrade board).

So yes in conclusion (and subject to debate by all of course), I'd say grab a P2 shell, upgrade board and PMUv2 - that will set you up for iOSD, Tilt of gimbal using the ch7 pot. You will also be able to use any of the battery options mentioned without any major hacking and if you buy a DJI internal power connecter you will be set to use the DJI battery (which I personally still find the best option despite cost).

You could add the P2 board and do the mod I listed earlier for your IOSD mini to save from having to add a PMU (added weight)

Re; whether to P2 shell or not - In my opinion since you already have the basic aircraft - I'd do it. For shell $60, and P2 power plug $10, add on LED $10 and an adapter for battery(s) $10 - you'ld have more flight time options. On my P1.5 I can run stock P2 battery, or single or dual maddog 2600s and get plenty of extended flight time. With p2 battery, gimbal, IOSD mini, Ground station and FPV - I average around 16 minutes. On dual maddogs it's closer to 18 minutes on average.

Hi Dewey,

Thanks very much for the response. The P2 board was a bit out there but I had seen it suggested but knew were probably issues I would not be aware of. Without it being able to substitute the gimbals own controller to save weight it does not appeal in my case - a long shot. I do have one follow-up question however and that is why I would need an upgrade board as well as the PMUv2? I had thought the original P1 board & PMU would provide the missing Canbus port for the iOSD. Are there other advantages to the upgrade board?

I certainly agree that the P2 Shell & range of battery choices including the DJI P2 OEM is strong incentive. If the new HK Multistar 4000 3S lives up to the hype and I could get 12 to 15 minutes with all my gear loaded I'd be pretty happy? The cross-talk on the 10C versus 20C rating has me confused as I do understand it. I would have actually jumped in & ordered one by now but the Aussie DJI Dealers are making so much money they don't need to return calls? ;)

To clear some confusion - when using P2 board you're only using the power points and not the P2 ESC plugs. It wires and operates EXACTLY like P1, FC 40 just without using P2 ESC plugs.

Hi EMC2,

Yes the P2 Board idea did come from here but I was not sure just what challenges I might face? I understand that the EMC's plug via the Naza direct and not the board but beyond that I get a little vague. It seems a pity the GCU idea seems a dead duck as that would be a useful saving if it could work as I am not keen on shelling out $300 to $400+ on a Zenmuse Gimbal especially when I have a seen a $90 cheapy do a pretty good job.

One small query I had which I haven't manage to find asked or answered is does the battery leds on the genuine P2 Battery show the correct status when used in a P1.5? Here in Oz the cheapest P2 genuines are $139. I must admit I can probably afford to buy them but just like the challenge of trying any angle (and I'm a little pig headed or so I'm told). As I probably rambled earlier if the HK Multistar 4000 actually delivered and the P2 board could fit in my not so old P1 Shell I'd like to give a lash but just not sure of the cable challenges. ie:- Led board & original RX Board cable lengths etc?

I must admit I am probably the last person who should take on wiring challenges as it has caused me plenty of issues in the past with far less complicated things then this. I do like a challenge however.

Thanks again! :?:

What I've done (and others in this thread) when using P2 shell, wire in stock P2 battery connector. Then if you want to run standard lipo(s) buy XT60 "Y" cable (Ebay $6) and install two spade terminals to end to connect to P2 connector.

Hi again,

I had been thinking (dangerous) over night about the suggestions and advice which is greatly appreciated. I am more curious than anything about why the ESC plugs on the P2 board are not used in a P1 (FC40) conversion? I looked back through the posts to see if it was previously explained but could not see it. I assume that the P2 Board need the P2 MC to work together to make the whole smart battery concept work?

It seems for my skill level the Standard board + PMU V2 + iOSD mini route is the best option. I can probably handle just 2 dobs of solder but would be fine to trim down the PMU & shorten cable etc.

I will give the HK Multistar 4000 lipo a lash before I ditch my FC40 shell however as I have customised it with a certain exotic italian sports car vinyl skin. It is the closest I am likely to get to owning one for the foreseeable future. If the HK lipos are a dud I will move the next step to P1.5!

I've installed a couple of P2 boards into 1.5 conversions I use them in place of update board so I can adapt small 4 pin plug to canbus cable to power OSD, ground stations, etc. It's either that or use a PMU to power things (which is more weight). I use stock NAZA, ESCs and motors just don't use small P2 ESC plugs. Going this route I save weight and $$$ because P2 board is only $50.

Hi EMCSQUAR,

Do you think the P2 board would fit in a P1 (FC40) shell? I have looked closely at photos on the net and looks sort of close but the RX board seems to be on the opposite site as is the Battery connection but I don't think that matters? Here in Oz the P2 Board is about $80 and only a few $'s cheaper from China. Would I buy a Canbus cable and convert it or is the plug on the main board available as a generic item. Sorry for the dumb questions but trying learn before I jump in and start hacking up the Quad. Regards BunyaQLD.

BunyaQLD said:
Hi EMCSQUAR,

Do you think the P2 board would fit in a P1 (FC40) shell? I have looked closely at photos on the net and looks sort of close but the RX board seems to be on the opposite site as is the Battery connection but I don't think that matters? Here in Oz the P2 Board is about $80 and only a few $'s cheaper from China. Would I buy a Canbus cable and convert it or is the plug on the main board available as a generic item. Sorry for the dumb questions but trying learn before I jump in and start hacking up the Quad. Regards BunyaQLD.

Hey, not a dumb question(s) The P2 board does fit a P1 and then you take a canbus cable cut one end off and solder 4 pin small connector onto it to plug into board = instant canbus connection without using PMU for IOSD mini or Ground Station. I found the little 4 pin cables that come in DGI wiring pak $9 US thats used for video on the DJI hub works for that.

I'll post pics early next week as I'm doing another then.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT