Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

Experiments Continue

To all 1.5 bretheren and followers more experiments yeild new results:

A) Instead of the $70. DJI upgrade board you can use the $49-$59 (depend on where you buy from) Phantom 2 board.

B) Instead of doing the Sarawuth soldering exercise (which isn't for the faint of heart) you can make your own canbus cable to be used w/P2 board as per El G's most excellent cable diagram (borrowed from another forum) see below

Note: Cutting a canbus cable using factory wiring color codes are:

Rv (power) = Red
GNd (ground = Brown
Ch = Orange
CL = Yellow

Add the $12 hub and you have gimbal & FPV control - with the handy OSD on/off switch for those of us who occassionally stream videos and don't need stats sent out. No GCU, No PMU and no surgeon soldering required.

Attachments

• can bus fact end.jpg
    can bus fact end.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 515
  • El G most excellent decipher.jpg
    El G most excellent decipher.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 467

Awesome EMC, thank you :) I'd toyed with that same idea shortly after doing my 1.5 conversion but was worried I would be locking myself to the P2 batts...?

I assume that's the standard canbus extension from the leg port? So I should be able to follow those pinouts if I want to solder directly to the extension port on my (internal) iOSD mini?

The canbus port on P2 leg actually attaches to board. So my adapted cable goes from board to factory canbus end to plug into IOSd mini then out to 2.4 groundstation.

Those pinouts El G provided were spot on and work like a charm.

Ahhhh ok so your cable goes from the port on the P2 board straight to the iOSD mini (in place of its stock canbus cable), yes?

Can I use a non-P2 batt if I use that mainboard with a P1 NAZA?

Awesome, great find EMC!

Yes, to those interested, CANBus is a wonderful topology. Solder in any device with a transceiver straight into CL/CH and it accesses the bus. So you can branch any number of devices out from the P2 mainboard or IOSD can ports.

I'm giving serious consideration to performing this Phantom 1.5 upgrade to boost flight times. A couple of questions to people who have performed this.

1) Can Phantom 1 gimbals (namely the goodluckbuy model) be mounted to the Phantom 2 shell?
2) If the Phantom board is switched to the Phantom 2 model, would the Naza assistant recognize the quad as a Phantom 2?? I'd be upgrading from a Phantom 1.1.1. Any other "gotchas" with switching the boards?

Thanks in advance.

cellarboy said:
1) Can Phantom 1 gimbals (namely the goodluckbuy model) be mounted to the Phantom 2 shell?
2) If the Phantom board is switched to the Phantom 2 model, would the Naza assistant recognize the quad as a Phantom 2?? I'd be upgrading from a Phantom 1.1.1. Any other "gotchas" with switching the boards?

Thanks in advance.

Any gimbal will work, you might have to modify the mounting point, but most will bolt on. Naza assistant will only recognize it as a Phantom 1 or NAZA V2. Using the upgrade board or the P2 board it will recognize accesories IE: Zenmuse, PMU, etc...

If you use original P1 board in original position, you'll have to extend the power leads or spin the board, as the P1 battery loads from front whereas P2 loads from rear.

I have also been debating this mod and like cellarboy im flying a P1.1.1. The reason i would want to do this is 1. Longer flight times and 2. needing OSD for my FPV set up. So want to claify as i honestly cant sort through 77 pages and come out with a clear thought on EXACTLY what i need and what i need to do. I watched the video (thanks for the video by the way...very helpful.

So what parts exactly do i need????? Phantom 2 body shell (right now im seeing them for like $60) and the P2 board but is that all i need aside from some extra wire and some pins? Do i even need the board?

chuddly said:
So what parts exactly do i need????? Phantom 2 body shell (right now im seeing them for like $60) and the P2 board but is that all i need aside from some extra wire and some pins? Do i even need the board?

Parts needed to do conversion:
a) new shell - (59.00)
b) upgrade board and/or P2 board (if using gimbal to save weight from having to use PMU,GCU) - ($59-70)
c) external LED -($12.00)
d) I highly recommend hub ($12) - makes conncting OSD, Gimbal and extras easier.
e) P2 power connector - ($10 or less)

With this set up and a little wiring it gives you option of using P2 battery or you can run adapter to run one or two original style Lipos. Once using P2 battery it's difficult to go back to P1 lipos - just push a button and your ready to go.

EMCSQUAR said:
Once using P2 battery it's difficult to go back to P1 lipos - just push a button and your ready to go.

For all its growing pains, the P2 battery sure is convenient, isn't it? :) If anything, it's made it SO much easier to follow the best practice of turning off the copter before the tx.

so for ~$160-170 (plus some work) I can have all the stuff I need? Thats not to bad. Its really a shame that there isnt an easy way to get an OSD to work without all the extra work.

ElGuano said:
EMCSQUAR said:
Once using P2 battery it's difficult to go back to P1 lipos - just push a button and your ready to go.

For all its growing pains, the P2 battery sure is convenient, isn't it? :) If anything, it's made it SO much easier to follow the best practice of turning off the copter before the tx.

LOL - "it's such a hassle plugging in an XT60 and shutting a door"

chuddly said:
so for ~$160-170 (plus some work) I can have all the stuff I need? Thats not to bad. Its really a shame that there isnt an easy way to get an OSD to work without all the extra work.

If all you want is OSD - just get P2 board & hub, a little wiring mentioned earlier and your good to go. Going P2 shell route gives your larger battery but extended flight times.

EMCSQUAR said:
If all you want is OSD - just get P2 board & hub, a little wiring mentioned earlier and your good to go. Going P2 shell route gives your larger battery but extended flight times.

I may go that route first but I also would like longer flight times. Either way i at least know what i need. Thanks for the information!

EMCSQUAR said:
ElGuano said:
EMCSQUAR said:

LOL - "it's such a hassle plugging in an XT60 and shutting a door"

Nah, it's the reverse scenario! No more catching, putting it down, opening the door, digging out the battery and disconnecting it, then removing the battery so it doesn't fall out, putting everything aside etc. Hand-catch, push the button twice, and you're done.

But if your point is that it lets me be even lazier than I already am, yeah :)

What kind of flight times are people getting with the 1.5 conversion using the P2 battery and Props?

EMCSQUAR said:
Experiments Continue

To all 1.5 bretheren and followers more experiments yeild new results:

A) Instead of the $70. DJI upgrade board you can use the $49-$59 (depend on where you buy from) Phantom 2 board.

B) Instead of doing the Sarawuth soldering exercise (which isn't for the faint of heart) you can make your own canbus cable to be used w/P2 board as per El G's most excellent cable diagram (borrowed from another forum) see below

Note: Cutting a canbus cable using factory wiring color codes are:

Rv (power) = Red
GNd (ground = Brown
Ch = Orange
CL = Yellow

Add the $12 hub and you have gimbal & FPV control - with the handy OSD on/off switch for those of us who occassionally stream videos and don't need stats sent out. No GCU, No PMU and no surgeon soldering required.

WOW! I go on VaCay for a couple of weeks and I come home to this...

You guys are consistently costing me money (in a good way) with these upgrades...

Of course, I now have to do this to my P1.5... Expect me to ask loads of questions to make sure I get it right...

Is there a Video showing how this upgrade is done. I don't see the link to ELG's cable diagram from another forum... Maybe I have to back track a little more...

Nice to see just about everyone on here again... (Dewey, where are you?) :cool:

PJA said:
Is there a Video showing how this upgrade is done. I don't see the link to ELG's cable diagram from another forum... Maybe I have to back track a little more...

Probably referring to this blog post? http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2135241

The Naza-on-P2-motherboard is essentially what all (two of) those P2 guys who swap out the Phantom Naza for the Naza-M V2 are doing. Add a status LED, find a way to bling up the LEDs on the arms if you really want, and you're off to the races.

ElGuano said:
PJA said:

Probably referring to this blog post? http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2135241

The Naza-on-P2-motherboard is essentially what all (two of) those P2 guys who swap out the Phantom Naza for the Naza-M V2 are doing. Add a status LED, find a way to bling up the LEDs on the arms if you really want, and you're off to the races.
Maybe I'm a little confused... I was looking for the how-to upgrade for the P1.5 using the P2 board and hub to create the can-bus to add the iOSD easier without doing the Sarawuth soldering, which I already did to the P1 upgrade board... Just thought there was a Diagram or Video to show a step by step... Maybe I'm not explaining it correctly...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
finestheatingn