Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

GearLoose said:
EMC, how much credit do you give (if any) to the E300 for this enviable flight time?

I guess I would've been more cautious w/stock ESCs but have since confirmed stock ESCs will handle 4S.

OI Photography said:
Squawk said:
I haven't seen anybody do this yet, but could the Zenmuse H3-3D be connected to the Phantom 1 upgrade board? (Just like the Zenmuse H3-2D can?)...Or would the current draw (over the Zenmuse H3-2D) demand the PMU to be used?
H3-3D works fine on my 1.5 with the upgrade board :)
If I understand correctly, H3-3D is fully operable on P1 with upgrade board, that is it works with "old" GCU integrated on P1 board upgrade - with the same GCU, which controlled yet old H3-2D? ?
And no new GCU, shipped with H3-3D?

gardenroute said:
OI Photography said:
Squawk said:
I haven't seen anybody do this yet, but could the Zenmuse H3-3D be connected to the Phantom 1 upgrade board? (Just like the Zenmuse H3-2D can?)...Or would the current draw (over the Zenmuse H3-2D) demand the PMU to be used?
If I understand correctly, H3-3D is fully operable on P1 with upgrade board, that is it works with "old" GCU integrated on P1 board upgrade - with the same GCU, which controlled yet old H3-2D? ?
And no new GCU, shipped with H3-3D?

People have gotten it to work with the Phantom 1 upgrade board with the H3-2D without modifications, so it seems the answer to that is yes.

If I have my info correct, the H3-3D STANDARD version comes with the V2 GCU unit. The H3-3D STANDALONE version doesn't come with a GCU. They're the same price.

EMCSQUAR said:
I guess I would've been more cautious w/stock ESCs but have since confirmed stock ESCs will handle 4S.

Oh right, I forgot you have the E300 setup on your 1.5...now I understand why you weren't so concerned with trying to lift close to 2kg :D

ElGuano said:
If I have my info correct, the H3-3D STANDARD version comes with the V2 GCU unit. The H3-3D STANDALONE version doesn't come with a GCU. They're the same price.

Correct, and I bought the one labeled "Standard" with the GCU (I think the one with out is just called "For Phantom 2"..?).

gardenroute, I leave the GCU mounted on my 550, when I swap the gimbal to my 1.5 I just plug the 8-pin cable in to the same port on the upgrade board as the H3-2D would have used, and it works like a charm. The GCU that came with my H3-3D seems to have the exact same dimensions and weight as the H3-2D version so I'm 99.64% sure it's the same hardware. That would make sense as I believe the GCU is really just a PMU + a data bridge to the IMU on the NAZA/WKM/A2.

EMC, I'm sitting on the edge of my chair, anxiously awaiting your test report on fully loaded flight times with the Turnigy 5000. I'm starting to cramp up here, so please... give us some relief! :) :)

EMCSQUAR said:
For all following the P1.5 adaptations - today flew my bare P1.5 on a Turnigy 5000mah 4S - hope you're sitting down -> 38:40 mins until 2nd battery warning. 13.2 / 12.8 warning levels (I know El G - pushing the lower voltage limits) - here's small clip and my apologies in advance of poor phone video (my hands were full) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU1O4MMteqI

There's good news and there's bad news... the good it was going balls to the walls fully loaded. The bad - at the 26 min mark I had it coming back towards me when it just kept on going.... It's probably in Texas by now. F-ME.

EMCSQUAR said:
There's good news and there's bad news... the good it was going balls to the walls fully loaded. The bad - at the 26 min mark I had it coming back towards me when it just kept on going.... It's probably in Texas by now. F-ME.
wait what? You lost it?!

Yep, she flew right over me, I had ZERO stick control. No atti or fail safe - zip,zero zilch. Just did advanced cal and compass cal. Compass # 1338. For 26 mins it was flying awesome, nice smooth (no wind - it was perfect) then she turned headed right towards me at 200 ft and right on by full tilt.

At 200 ft I find it hard to believe an RF hit - unless the GoPro bumped gimbal and set things in motion. Especially w/Futaba Rx and extended Futaba antennas.

Think it's time to ween down the fleet and build an octo.

That really sucks, Man...

I hope you had some ID on it or a Tracker of some sort...

At 26 minutes in, and flying at full throttle over head when your sticks went numb (has happened to me also), I'm sure there wasn't much left in the battery... Couldn't have gone too far... At least I hope not...

I hope you find it, EMC... Maybe someone has it... Put up flyers or get the word out about a lost Phantom...

Good Luck, my friend...

PJA said:
That really sucks, Man...

I hope you had some ID on it or a Tracker of some sort...

At 26 minutes in, and flying at full throttle over head when your sticks went numb (has happened to me also), I'm sure there wasn't much left in the battery... Couldn't have gone too far... At least I hope not...

I hope you find it, EMC... Maybe someone has it... Put up flyers or get the word out about a lost Phantom...

Good Luck, my friend...

Thanks PJ, unfortunately I neglected to put tracker on it (stupid attack - duh) As far as going far - Oh yes she should could've - this one was the one I previously did 38 mins w/4S battery - It could be in Cleveland...

On 4S power that thing could go another 10+ min.

Really sorry to hear about that. I'm convinced that is how mine is going to eventually go too (either that or into the drink); and I've done so any heavy mods it would be impossible to accurately postmortem.

Any chance someone will find it and be able to contact you?

Yea, I had it labeled and have been canvassing the neighborhood. Dropped ads in Craigslist and others, but who knows where it ended up. Anywhere from someones' garden, rooftop, to one of many wooded parks + we're in for 3+ days of MORE RAIN. So I'm not real optomistic.

Losing it bothers me, but what's worse is I keep thrashing my brain trying to think of what I might have overlooked. It went from one "perfect" extreme to being possessed. In it's last moments it had all the signs of RF interference. It was crusing along at roughly 6m/s then she turned towards me and throttle down right overhead & just kept on going.

This is very bad news, EMC. I'm thrilled that you got 26 minutes of flight but losing your Phantom... well, we all share your loss to one degree or another.

OI Photography said:
Squawk said:
I haven't seen anybody do this yet, but could the Zenmuse H3-3D be connected to the Phantom 1 upgrade board?
(Just like the Zenmuse H3-2D can?)

Or would the current draw (over the Zenmuse H3-2D) demand the PMU to be used?

Thanks! :)

Hey guys!

I am really thinking about doing this now! And from the look of the video, Dewey, it couldn't be easier!

I understand everything that needs to be done, except the LED. I understand that the P2 Shell is oriented differently from the P1 Shell so the battery is now at the back, and the LED would be at the front. One of my questions is, if I turned the board, escs, motors, and the GPS top shell, would I not have to have the LED at the front and not have to use an extension cable? I think this would work, but people have said they don't know if the board mounting holes would line up with the board itself. Could someone confirm that for me?

If extending the LED cable is not an option, I'm probably going to buy one of Dewey's 1.5 doors that you can mount the LED board to, but how do I make the wire longer. Which cable do I solder to to make it extended and longer? The name of the cable and perhaps a HobbyKing link would be greatly appreciated!

I'm so excited to try this with a 5200mah battery!

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Alexander Rios

DeweyAXD said:
So I finally got my hands on a Phantom 2 Shell.

I intended to use this for measurements for some Phantom 2 Shapeways parts (due to demand) but when I got it I sized it up for a Phantom 1 to Phantom 2(ish) conversion. I'm sure I'm not the first to try this but thought I'd share.

Long video of how it went is below.... for those not interesting in watching/snoozing through it. The Phantom 1 board, esc, motors, top shell, legs ALL fit perfectly. Easier in fact than re-shelling a Phantom 1 as you can re-use the P1 top shell and not move the GPS at all. The only thing you need to mod is where the LED goes (as its not used in the P2). Pretty easy solution tho.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0QQctngzSg[/youtube]

So why do this?

- More space (fit two 2200 side by side in the shell)
- Use of P2 Batt. With a simple cable you can use the 5200mah P2 batt on your P1 (granted you likely don't get as much flight time on the P2 batt as with P2 firmware but it is still a 5200mah with good power to weight ratio).

I have done a blog on RC Groups about this with more info and pics which I will add to:

Also I have just finished the http://www.sarawuth.com mod that gives at Phantom 1 upgrade board a Can Bus port (without a PMUv2). Video to come soon of how to.... easy and great mod.

So I now have a Phantom 1 with CanBus in a P2 shell..... almost feel like its re-born! :lol:

Hey guys!

I am really thinking about doing this now! And from the look of the video, Dewey, it couldn't be easier!

I understand everything that needs to be done, except the LED. I understand that the P2 Shell is oriented differently from the P1 Shell so the battery is now at the back, and the LED would be at the front. One of my questions is, if I turned the board, escs, motors, and the GPS top shell, would I not have to have the LED at the front and not have to use an extension cable? I think this would work, but people have said they don't know if the board mounting holes would line up with the board itself. Could someone confirm that for me?

If extending the LED cable is not an option, I'm probably going to buy one of Dewey's 1.5 doors that you can mount the LED board to, but how do I make the wire longer. Which cable do I solder to to make it extended and longer? The name of the cable and perhaps a HobbyKing link would be greatly appreciated!

I'm so excited to try this with a 5200mah battery!

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Alexander Rios

just buy one of d3wey's 1.5 doors and the dji naza 2 led
this will simply replace the orginal phantom led and it just plugs into your naza
no modding cables required
http://www.shapeways.com/model/1719...-v2-led-hol.html?modelId=1719664&materialId=6
625x465_1719664_2206650_1393718522.jpg

and NAZA v2 LED
NAZA-V2-LED-Module.jpg

framedtrash said:
just buy one of d3wey's 1.5 doors and the dji naza 2 led
this will simply replace the orginal phantom led and it just plugs into your naza
no modding cables required
http://www.shapeways.com/model/1719...-v2-led-hol.html?modelId=1719664&materialId=6
625x465_1719664_2206650_1393718522.jpg

and NAZA v2 LED
NAZA-V2-LED-Module.jpg

The thing is, I am using a case to store and transport my quad, so space is very limited. One of Dewey's smallest doors is even a little bit to big for my case but it still would work. Putting one of these LED's on would take up to much space in the case, even inside the shell of the quad due to fpv and iosd, it's more money sto spend, and it would add very little weight, but still the weight isn't really a big issue.

You can attach the LED to one of the legs. Besides for calibrations and access to assistant software you're going to need one.

@arios: I'm currently using the same door you referenced there, with the NAZA LED module mounted on it, and I'm still able to use it with my case that has foam pre-cut for a P2. Since the LED mount sticks out too far I just take the door off and tuck it under the body next to the other components down there. The LED has a long enough cord to reach to do that and still reach the NAZA without straining.

@The gang: I'm too tired to post the usual full details, but I had to at least mention that I finally earned my sarawuth merit badge tonight, and got the used iOSD mini I bought last week hooked up and tested (all good!)

In keeping with our unwritten tradition here I had to add a twist of my own, I decided to get around scraping the glue off the X3 lead on the board and tapping in to + and GND there, I instead re-pinned the X3 plug and combined the leads from the iOSD canbus with the ones from the board. If that doesn't make sense (and it doesn't really to me right now), I hope the pics help clarify:

9BYmwwel.jpg

PN78VNil.jpg

2zO5PJhl.jpg

s4s8kG4l.jpg

mqHfWBLl.jpg

y2HYIgUl.jpg

C8VQ9Lil.jpg

You'll note I left the iOSD in it's shell for now, mainly because that way the canbus cable collar absorbs the tension on the leads instead of the solder points on the board. I may re-evaluate that later, but for now it all works and I'm happy :cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart