Video Editing Software (Newbie)

Reaction score
I am currently awaiting arrival of my Vision+ (beyond stoked). Not worried about piloting since I have some RC experience, but I am stressing about post video editing. Can anyone please recommend a video editing program that won't break the bank but will give me the tools I need to make quality videos. I am definitely wanting to remove any sort of "barrel effects" on high altitude shots.

Any sort of direction or advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Adobe Premier Pro is the go to software. All computer OS systems have entry level video software. i-movie for Mac, Windows = Windows Movie Maker.

Reactions: Falcon900
hwb2107 said:
lightingbryan said:
Adobe Premier Pro is the go to software. All computer OS systems have entry level video software. i-movie for Mac, Windows = Windows Movie Maker.

Agreed on Premiere Pro. However, it is pretty expensive, and has a bit of a learning curve.

Ya Adobe Premier Pro might be too rich for my blood and too intensive. Plus the Adobe website always makes my head explode (too busy of a site). I am a student though so maybe I'll check on getting it discounted.

PowerDirector 12 Ultra got good reviews for its tier. Search for it and see if it has enough of what you think you might need. (Cyberlink) 49.00 from it's webpage. There is software to cut, edit, add sound, ect, and then there are programs that do other post effects that editing software doesn't accomplish, such as After Effects.

Maybe consider a subscription to Adobe Premiere Pro? I was looking at that to see how much of a learning curve it would be and try it for a few months. Make sure it's something you would like to eventually buy? I'm not sure if there's any drawbacks other than you don't own it at the end but I would guess you continue to get updates and what not.

Once I get a bunch of video I'll consider it myself. I would rather not have the fish eye look on my videos, actually a friend asked if you can remove it knowing that wide/wider angled lens can cause it. I wasn't sure if it was software or if it was something you could change on the camera to prevent it. Seems more and more software, however I swear I saw a video where they said you can use the app to reduce the amount of fisheye.

I like you didn't spend much time on Adobe's site.

I use Final Cut Pro. It's not cheap but the its not difficult to quickly learn how to do some basic functions that produce a great final result. I believe it gives you a free trial period too so you can give it a test drive.

Do look into the student discounts for both Adobe and Avid Media Composer. Both used to offer real good deals back when I was a student. Also, look into Adobe Creative Cloud, which includes the whole suite of products for like $50/mo. So you don't have the break the bank all at once. You can also get 1 month of free trials with both of these, so you can play with them, make sure they work with your system etc. The nice thing is everything's a download these days and the installs are very easy. Lynda.com is a great place for training/tutorials, otherwise Google will get you where you need to be.

The most important part is when you get your bird and set up for your first flight, don't do what I did--forget to hit record on your first takeoff! It actually didn't cross my mind until the 3rd takeoff! Have fun!

Sony Vegas is getting good reviews too...

I just started trying it out. Has easy color correction without leaving the software.

If you have an iPad you're in luck! Pinnacle Studio for iPad is less than $10 I think and is a killer video editing tool. Way easier than any of the PC based programs and way better than iMovie on any platform.

AnselA said:
Does any of the suggested programs have lens correction profile for Vision+ camera? To enable easy barrell distorsion corrections.
Pinnacle Studio for iPad does not, but I requested it and they now have it on their list of things to add.

RedRyderMedia said:
AnselA said:
Does any of the suggested programs have lens correction profile for Vision+ camera? To enable easy barrell distorsion corrections.
Pinnacle Studio for iPad does not, but I requested it and they now have it on their list of things to add.

Do you have to convert the mp4 first or can you start editing right away?

AnselA said:

Not sure if there is a lens correction profile specifically for the vision plus, but there is certainly lens\optical correction ability with Premiere Pro and After Effects that work well in ellminating the barrel distortions.

I use Corel Video Studio X5. It is very cheap and you can do everything but correct fisheye. It does have stabilization filters. Once you learn how to use it, it is very powerful. X6 is already out, have not tested it yet. You can try it, and then buy it if you like it.

AnselA said:

I use Prodad (Prodrenalin), about $50 and do have the lens correction, easy to use and available for Mac and PC.

cougar said:
mchrol said:
Ok, so let's choose powerful , easy, for eliminating fisheye program ? Is there any ?

Adobre Premier Pro can do that ?
Or Sony Vegas Pro v13 ?

As stated above ProDad software has it. Follow link to tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQDWRGV ... AzYmw-XMkN

My Pro Drenalin software version doesn't have Vision + profile lens , eiather Vision ( non plus ). Would you send it to me ? It can be easly export when choosing from many profiles.

[email protected]

mchrol said:
cougar said:
mchrol said:
Ok, so let's choose powerful , easy, for eliminating fisheye program ? Is there any ?

Adobre Premier Pro can do that ?
Or Sony Vegas Pro v13 ?

As stated above ProDad software has it. Follow link to tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQDWRGV ... AzYmw-XMkN

My Pro Drenalin software version doesn't have Vision + profile lens , eiather Vision ( non plus ). Would you send it to me ? It can be easly export when choosing from many profiles.

[email protected]

Same version (FC200) for the Vision and the Vision +, I use it for my + and works fine :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164