**VIDEO** ANY IDEAS WHY IT WONT HOVER STABLE??

Reaction score
so yesterday i was flying with a friend and his mavic pro. we were getting magnetic interference off and on. when i came down to land in the driveway i started to lose control and it started moving around more than i liked. It got over to a vehicle(wifes brand new 4runner) and hit it sending the drone down on its side with the propellers hitting the ground before i could get it shut down..actually going up under the car. Only visable damage was the propellers. i changed them with new ones that came with the drone. Now it will not hover very stable. It floats around more and one of the motors sounds like its stuttering a little causing the drone to twist a little in flight in a hover. Also on take off it barely gets off the ground..moving up and down. I have recalibrated everything. I have done all i know to do. And here i am looking for any suggestions before i send it in for repairs. Thanks in advance!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

so yesterday i was flying with a friend and his mavic pro. we were getting magnetic interference off and on. when i came down to land in the driveway i started to lose control and it started moving around more than i liked. It got over to a vehicle(wifes brand new 4runner) and hit it sending the drone down on its side with the propellers hitting the ground before i could get it shut down..actually going up under the car. Only visable damage was the propellers. i changed them with new ones that came with the drone. Now it will not hover very stable. It floats around more and one of the motors sounds like its stuttering a little causing the drone to twist a little in flight in a hover. Also on take off it barely gets off the ground..moving up and down. I have recalibrated everything. I have done all i know to do. And here i am looking for any suggestions before i send it in for repairs. Thanks in advance!
Give your compass a calibration.p3s does seem to work bit harder in wind makes it dance around a bit till actually moving, mine is terrible in the wind but camera beautifully stable,try compass should help :) Um I missed part where you done that already,take you props off and start one might be off balance or slightly tight

The model relies on balanced action of ALL 4 motors and props. If one is out of spec - the flight controller adjusts power to that motor to compensate.
If you have a stuttering motor - the flight controller will not be able to steady the aircraft to a stable condition. It will be varying constantly and probably getting into YoYo or toilet effect.

Personally I would unmount the motor and give it a good blow through to make sure no grit or debris is in there. Trouble is wires are short and you cannot get it well away from frame to really get at it. But we can but do our best. Once blown through ... then get a cocktail stick and a can of Light Cycle Oil (Sewing Machine Oil) or 3in1 ... put a drop on end of stick and dab on the REAR shaft end at its side ... spin motor by hand so oil gets distributed ... It only needs a small drop. Feel for 'grittiness or chugging' ... if you feel that - then one of the magnets may have moved. This can be fixed but to be honest - once a magnet moves ... I believe in replacing motor.
Before next - take each prop and check balance ... if you don't have a balance machine - a quick way is to take a thin wood dowel rod, slightly smaller than the threaded insert centre of prop and make a rounded end ... stand rod vertical and place prop on ...
If motor feels smooth with just the magnetic pulsing you feel as you spin it by hand ... then it should be good to go. Remount and give it a short test flight. Just lift off and stay close to ground. If OK .. land and then try AUTO take off so it rises to 1.4 - 2m height ... let it steady up hopefully.

OK points to note ... The P3S does not have VPS ... it only has Barometer and GPS for stable hover. This means that it ill NEVER stay perfectly still or stable in hover.... any slight nudge from a breeze etc. will make it drift. You cannot compare hover of a P3S with the Mavic or its more sophisticated sisters P3A / P3P etc.

Your video showing it moving around - I have seen worse than that ... maybe you are expecting too much of a basic Standard machine ? To be honest ... your video is not unusual and shows a typical Standard trying to stay still in outside conditions.

As to Magnetic Interference ... no surprise given you are flying above 'metalled roads' ... can you imagine what is under that tarmac ?

Nigel

The model relies on balanced action of ALL 4 motors and props. If one is out of spec - the flight controller adjusts power to that motor to compensate.
If you have a stuttering motor - the flight controller will not be able to steady the aircraft to a stable condition. It will be varying constantly and probably getting into YoYo or toilet effect.

Personally I would unmount the motor and give it a good blow through to make sure no grit or debris is in there. Trouble is wires are short and you cannot get it well away from frame to really get at it. But we can but do our best. Once blown through ... then get a cocktail stick and a can of Light Cycle Oil (Sewing Machine Oil) or 3in1 ... put a drop on end of stick and dab on the REAR shaft end at its side ... spin motor by hand so oil gets distributed ... It only needs a small drop. Feel for 'grittiness or chugging' ... if you feel that - then one of the magnets may have moved. This can be fixed but to be honest - once a magnet moves ... I believe in replacing motor.
Before next - take each prop and check balance ... if you don't have a balance machine - a quick way is to take a thin wood dowel rod, slightly smaller than the threaded insert centre of prop and make a rounded end ... stand rod vertical and place prop on ...
If motor feels smooth with just the magnetic pulsing you feel as you spin it by hand ... then it should be good to go. Remount and give it a short test flight. Just lift off and stay close to ground. If OK .. land and then try AUTO take off so it rises to 1.4 - 2m height ... let it steady up hopefully.

OK points to note ... The P3S does not have VPS ... it only has Barometer and GPS for stable hover. This means that it ill NEVER stay perfectly still or stable in hover.... any slight nudge from a breeze etc. will make it drift. You cannot compare hover of a P3S with the Mavic or its more sophisticated sisters P3A / P3P etc.

Your video showing it moving around - I have seen worse than that ... maybe you are expecting
too much of a basic Standard machine ? To be honest ... your video is not unusual and shows a typical Standard trying to stay still in outside conditions.

As to Magnetic Interference ... no surprise given you are flying above 'metalled roads' ... can you imagine what is under that tarmac ?

Nigel

Probably missed something but how is sticking a piece of doweling into the prop and holding it vertically going to balance it? Do you mean to then place it on a wine glass to check the balance? If so dowel isn't smooth enough to ensure that the prop balances correctly.

A friend has a 3S and his hover is just as good as my 3A, so as others have suggested, just recalibrate everything to see if that settles it down.

Probably missed something but how is sticking a piece of doweling into the prop and holding it vertically going to balance it? Do you mean to then place it on a wine glass to check the balance? If so dowel isn't smooth enough to ensure that the prop balances correctly.

Rubbish ....

Until I got my DuBro balancer - it works perfectly ....

The prop insert is actually dome shaped inside as out. So if you make the end of your dowel a smaller dome with peak centred - place dowel vertical and prop on the end ... it will sit just the same as if you stood the prop on a perfect point. The peak will centre in the dome.

What do you think we all did before people like Du Bro appeared ? Bash rocks together ?

Nigel

Rubbish ....

Until I got my DuBro balancer - it works perfectly ....

The prop insert is actually dome shaped inside as out. So if you make the end of your dowel a smaller dome with peak centred - place dowel vertical and prop on the end ... it will sit just the same as if you stood the prop on a perfect point. The peak will centre in the dome.

What do you think we all did before people like Du Bro appeared ? Bash rocks together ?

Nigel

Ahhhh, right. Now I understand what you're suggesting, but I still don't think you'll get a particularly good result. The DuBro? Who are these people? Or what's that? No, what I use, Nigel, is a threaded aluminium rod across to which I attach the prop, then put the rod across a good quality wine glass. This will show the most minute weight deviation in balance. I have used this method for the past 40 years with all types of propellers, so no, no need to "bash rocks together" but that might help you get rid of the hump you've got....

after watching the trees in the background.........my p3s would behave exactly the same under those conditions .

Ahhhh, right. Now I understand what you're suggesting, but I still don't think you'll get a particularly good result. The DuBro? Who are these people? Or what's that? No, what I use, Nigel, is a threaded aluminium rod across to which I attach the prop, then put the rod across a good quality wine glass. This will show the most minute weight deviation in balance. I have used this method for the past 40 years with all types of propellers, so no, no need to "bash rocks together" but that might help you get rid of the hump you've got....

Each has their way of doing it ... and I am not 'knocking' your threaded rod item. So please do me the courtesy of accepting that mine works as well. The dowel method I used was based on an old way to balance both a prop and spinner together ...

I only bought the DuBro because my usual prop balancer is not large enough for the big models I also fly. THe fact that it had an adaptor to fit DJI props was a bonus.

When I compared my DIY balance method and the DuBro ... I found no difference in results ... even when I purposely unbalanced a prop by adding a sliver of tape to one blade.

Nigel

Reactions: Numone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers