Very short range P3S

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just thought I'd check to see if any suggestions before I send my P3S back for repair....after many happy flights with no range problems I suddenly get no more than 20 meters either vertical or horizontal distance before I get RC signal lost and Rth kicks in.....it just goes from full signal to no signal. I haven't crashed and prior to problem I hadn't upgraded firmware.
Since problem started I have tried upgrading to latest firmware, calibrating IMU, relinking RC unit, Calibrate compass (can't see what effect that would have on range though), tried different locations for flying but all to no avail, starting to think some sort of hardware failure.
Any suggestions before I send off to dealer would be appreciated.
Kind Regards,

The Snowman.

If you bought it from a store during the holidays you might still be able to return it. I bought my P3P from Bestbuy in November and have until 01/15/2016 to return it.

Had it since September 2015 so still covered by DJI warranty but don't think any dealer warranty.

The only thing I can think of is either the RC antenna connectors have come loose (unlikely), are broken, or the receiver has failed. Has it been crashed? You'd have to open it to check & if it's under warranty I'd just send it in & let DJI repair things.

No, no crash, put it away after lovely flight with range of about 600m, took it out 3 days later and Rth at 20m.....Looks like a hardware failure but wanted to touch this knowledge base here first in case I was missing something.

If it was the 5.8 I wouldn't be surprised as that's the tightest cable in these I have ever seen .
Almost like a guitar string in mine when I went into it. Have seen several more with this here.
Much moving of the dipole can make it come lose .

Reactions: Dirty Bird
Took back off remote, spot on, antenna wire in 2 pieces.
Got to try to convince dealer to send me replacement RC now without letting on I have opened it up!,

I wouldn't be surprised if many, if not most of the P3S range problems are caused by snapped 5.8GHz antennas. Most people seem to blame the firmware, for some reason.

I wouldn't be surprised if many, if not most of the P3S range problems are caused by snapped 5.8GHz antennas. Most people seem to blame the firmware, for some reason.
Well they are to short and are tight. When the antenna is straight out it's not as bad as when you bend the antenna to the side . Maybe it's crimping it and that's some of it .I dono
I did see one posted here where the connecter had been pulled of the board .

Well they are to short and are tight. When the antenna is straight out it's not as bad as when you bend the antenna to the side . Maybe it's crimping it and that's some of it .I dono
I did see one posted here where the connecter had been pulled of the board .
It's actually the other way around. With the antenna folded tension is relieved. I always keep mine folded for that reason.

It's actually the other way around. With the antenna folded tension is relieved. I always keep mine folded for that reason.
OK...got one in my hand now looking at it .Getting ready to send to a member who's is broke also.
Straight out ...no bend and less stretch
Bend antenna down....cable bends also and is shortened.
Cable goes into piece I have between my fingers.
IMG_4121.JPG
But whatever you think as it don't matter to me :)

OK...got one in my hand now looking at it .Getting ready to send to a member who's is broke also.
Straight out ...no bend and less stretch
Bend antenna down....cable bends also and is shortened.
Cable goes into piece I have between my fingers.
View attachment 39915
But whatever you think as it don't matter to me :)
In that picture you can even see why a straight antenna puts more strain on the cable than a bent antenna. If the cable would go around an axle in the elbow your theory would be correct, but it doesn't.

Again, with the antenna folded there is LESS strain on the cable. I just took my remote apart and made a video for you.

It might not matter to you, but it matters to people who read this and are afraid of breaking their antennas. I recommend everyone to keep their 5.8GHz antennas folded to minimize the risk.

Reactions: thousandyard
It might not matter to you, but it matters to people who read this and are afraid of breaking their antennas. I recommend everyone to keep their 5.8GHz antennas folded to minimize the risk.
Look dude . You do as you please and everyone else . I know what I saw and I do know what I'm talking about .
Look around at all the issues with this and not just in this thread .
As far as theory I don't use that but hands on and what I see and deal with .
I'm not recommending anything to anyone but just telling ya what I know .
Now that's it. You can post all you want but I will not converse with you on this anymore .
Have a nice day :)

As far as theory I don't use that but hands on and what I see and deal with .
Yeah, you've made it pretty clear you're not interested in why or how stuff works, that's why I made that video for you. I could have just asked you to hold a shoelace between your hand and shoulder and then bend your arm, but I'm sure you wouldn't try that.

Look around at all the issues with this and not just in this thread .
What exactly am I looking for? I'm fully aware there are lots of people that are having range problems. What is your point?

Thanks P.Lindblom that made it real clear...I would've thought opposite too! That cable must not run too far up that antenna then!

Thanks P.Lindblom that made it real clear...I would've thought opposite too! That cable must not run too far up that antenna then!
No problem, mate.

I haven't taken a DJI antenna apart, but I'm sure it's the same as most 5.8GHz antennas. If so, the cable ends at around 1/3 of the length of the antenna.

Edit: Here's what they usually look like inside
dipole-antenna-inside-fpv-video-transmitter-5-8ghz.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl