Vertical Studio - Looking for Beta Testers

The version for iOS does not follow a moving object (can't speak for android version)--I just tried it for the first time this afternoon. It does however yaw and pitch the gimble as necessary to keep the tracked object centered as you fly around. It tracks pretty well--even boats on a lake backlit by the sun and glare from the water--however, get too close with too much vertical angular velocity and it will loose track pretty easy--I'm wondering if perhaps gimble pitch speed has some effect on this. I have speed set pretty low to make my manual camera pitch movements smoother; but am wondering if it's effecting Vertical Studio's ability to track; so I'll be experimenting with that later. I'm also not sure if the tracking calculations are done on the mobile device (I assume so); and perhaps using a faster device than the iPad Air I was using, would give me better results. Anyone know?

Because it does not maintain a given distance to the target, using orbit on a moving target doesn't seem to work well by itself, but does free you to adjust distance (radius) manually, and in any case frees you from having to operate yaw, gimble pitch and aircraft roll controls simultaneously. For orbiting a stationary object it's great, and so much faster and easier than other apps with POI.
There is also Autopilot Airspace and the follow me function. Has anyone used that and can comment on how it works?

The version for iOS does not follow a moving object (can't speak for android version)--I just tried it for the first time this afternoon. It does however yaw and pitch the gimble as necessary to keep the tracked object centered as you fly around. It tracks pretty well--even boats on a lake backlit by the sun and glare from the water--however, get too close with too much vertical angular velocity and it will loose track pretty easy--I'm wondering if perhaps gimble pitch speed has some effect on this. I have speed set pretty low to make my manual camera pitch movements smoother; but am wondering if it's effecting Vertical Studio's ability to track; so I'll be experimenting with that later. I'm also not sure if the tracking calculations are done on the mobile device (I assume so); and perhaps using a faster device than the iPad Air I was using, would give me better results. Anyone know?

Because it does not maintain a given distance to the target, using orbit on a moving target doesn't seem to work well by itself, but does free you to adjust distance (radius) manually, and in any case frees you from having to operate yaw, gimble pitch and aircraft roll controls simultaneously. For orbiting a stationary object it's great, and so much faster and easier than other apps with POI.
Thanks for great review @skyeboysteve! You're right that the gimbal speed may certainly affect the apps ability to track and maintain control over the gimbal to center the subject. Though the other culprit is also that as you get closer and closer to your subject, you're moving faster relative to the subject and that makes it a little more challenging for the tracking to maintain control. Definitely a fast device and a fast speed setting on the gimbal will help :)

There is also Autopilot Airspace and the follow me function. Has anyone used that and can comment on how it works?
The airspace feature requires you to use a second phone or tablet device on the subject you want to track. Not always possible if you're tracking something like a tree or a house far away or something you can't put a beacon on - like an animal. Further it only works when flying slowly and quite a distance from the subject. The benefit of visual tracking is that it is extremely versatile, but the trade-off is that it may not be as robust as you expect a GPS based tracking system to be. But given the nature of aerial shots - ( each scene lasts a couple of seconds / a minute), you'll get the shot you need most of the time.

Hmm. We're thinking of adding a video recorder for short clips so you can save the video on your phone rather than downloading from the drone each time. What do you need a screen record feature for ? Saving the video ?
As I have indicated before, I would also like to see a screen recorder. The purpose is to record telemetry, user actions, showing the tracking boxes, as well as what the camera is seeing. This is useful for reviews and often nice to include in the video. I have read that Apple does provide an API for this.

Reactions: Bigdz

here was my second attempt at using the VS...
it had a hard time following the children playing in the street...I think it lost track mostly when the kids entered shadows from trees...
it had no issues following the cars or kid on the bike...

as long as I stayed behind them, maintaining flight was easy, I tried to pass one of the cars but they turned...

Still possible to test?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

here was my second attempt at using the VS...
it had a hard time following the children playing in the street...I think it lost track mostly when the kids entered shadows from trees...
it had no issues following the cars or kid on the bike...

as long as I stayed behind them, maintaining flight was easy, I tried to pass one of the cars but they turned...
Your camera looks broken. Pulsing gimbal it appears.

I've been beta testing this for iOS as well as litchi and autopilot. This app is very simple to use for tracking. As with any tracking algorithm, it has some limitations based on subject contrast, speed and yaw limitations of the P3 when flying manually. I found it pretty reliable if you consider this when setup. For instance, I always shoot my landscape videos in D-log and -3 contrast. This causes challenges with tracking as the image can be too flat. So when I'm tracking and only tracking, I increase the contrast to 0 and use it mainly with full sunlight (i.e. avoid large shadows). I've found these increase the probability of maintaining tracking.
The point is, the app does what it's supposed to do with what it is working with. This app is probably the reason why I'm not going to buy a P4. I noticed the hands on testers of the P4 mentioned similar limitations to their tracking since its pure physics involved.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neil Mathew
I've been beta testing this for iOS as well as litchi and autopilot. This app is very simple to use for tracking. As with any tracking algorithm, it has some limitations based on subject contrast, speed and yaw limitations of the P3 when flying manually. I found it pretty reliable if you consider this when setup. For instance, I always shoot my landscape videos in D-log and -3 contrast. This causes challenges with tracking as the image can be too flat. So when I'm tracking and only tracking, I increase the contrast to 0 and use it mainly with full sunlight (i.e. avoid large shadows). I've found these increase the probability of maintaining tracking.
The point is, the app does what it's supposed to do with what it is working with. This app is probably the reason why I'm not going to buy a P4. I noticed the hands on testers of the P4 mentioned similar limitations to their tracking since its purr physics involved.
Thanks for your input @2nd2non. One clarification is that DJI P4 tracking only tracking people, as it seems. The tested review on youtube is a pretty good indicator of it's performance. However, unlike us, all their tests and videos are on plain open green grass - which is an easy environment for tracking.

Neil,

The app is hardwired to use stick mode 2 it seems. I myself have set the controller to mode 3 (swapped mode 2) and the moment i switch to 'f' and start using tracking the sticks are clears using a mode 2 control.
Could you make a setting to it for using other stick modes?. I reported this last year too, but i tried version 1.0 yesterday and it was very confusing :)

Menno

Thanks for your input @2nd2non. One clarification is that DJI P4 tracking only tracking people, as it seems. The tested review on youtube is a pretty good indicator of it's performance. However, unlike us, all their tests and videos are on plain open green grass - which is an easy environment for tracking.

Actually no, ken (blade) posted new videos yesterday tracking a car driving around on a industrial complex with buildings and other equipment up to 25mph.
I wonder though if tracking on a p4 is also a tethered action using an app or solely onboard a secondary processing mcu. In that case the app version (like vertical) can probably adapt faster to different scenarios

I was planning on buying this for my android device but since i saw this post here can we still apply as beta testers? I'm a bit worried because unlike ios android apps sometimes does not work good on certain devices. If i could test and liked, I will purchase asap :)
If you still are offering it for testers my email is [email protected] thanks!

I fairly new to video work and phantom but would love to test this to see how easy a beginner can master video editing, am in the uk but if still available I'd love to try it.
[email protected]

Neil,

The app is hardwired to use stick mode 2 it seems. I myself have set the controller to mode 3 (swapped mode 2) and the moment i switch to 'f' and start using tracking the sticks are clears using a mode 2 control.
Could you make a setting to it for using other stick modes?. I reported this last year too, but i tried version 1.0 yesterday and it was very confusing :)

Menno
We're looking into adding support for different modes now. We actually didn't realize how may people use alternative stick modes. !

this for my android device bu
I was planning on buying this for my android device but since i saw this post here can we still apply as beta testers? I'm a bit worried because unlike ios android apps sometimes does not work good on certain devices. If i could test and liked, I will purchase asap :)
If you still are offering it for testers my email is [email protected] thanks!
Hi @bogaair. We do realize that people would like to try the app before buying it and until now the app store and play store don't have a good way of natively implementing this. We're looking into enabling this on our side. Can I ask you, which feature are you most excited about ? Or give me a order of priority if you can :)
1. tracking
2. Walls (for safe flight)
3. dolly path design with tracking

Oh i guess i shouldve read first. I'm gonna do my research first,purchase soon :)
Sounds great I'd like it [email protected]

Guys - the beta program is closed and only available to the original beta users as of now. Feel free to join our user community at forum.vertical.ai where we post product updates. I'm also fairly regular on here though.

Actually no, ken (blade) posted new videos yesterday tracking a car driving around on a industrial complex with buildings and other equipment up to 25mph.
I wonder though if tracking on a p4 is also a tethered action using an app or solely onboard a secondary processing mcu. In that case the app version (like vertical) can probably adapt faster to different scenarios
ok good point. thanks for the tip. We know as much about P4 as you do, so I guess we'll see when people start using it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing