Vertical Studio - Looking for Beta Testers

Signed up tonight for IOS, this looks very interesting and will fill a gap thats becoming more of an issue every week.

Signed up tonight for IOS, this looks very interesting and will fill a gap thats becoming more of an issue every week.

Thanks for the support ! I'm really curious. Could you elaborate a little more about what issues you've faced ? I'm trying to get a sense for how else we can help folks with their filming and we always learn new things from you guys we wouldn't have thought of otherwise :)

I signed up for the ios beta, but have android as well. Can I get in on the Android Beta?

I signed up for the ios beta, but have android as well. Can I get in on the Android Beta?
Yes! If you've answered the "device" question in the form as "Both", you've automatically been added to the list for Android and iOS. If you haven't I'd say add a new entry in the form with Android as your device.

here's the website again: Vertical - EPIC Aerial Filming

Thanks for the support ! I'm really curious. Could you elaborate a little more about what issues you've faced ? I'm trying to get a sense for how else we can help folks with their filming and we always learn new things from you guys we wouldn't have thought of otherwise :)
I film allot of road cycling groups and single riders through wide open to closed in areas, having the camera follow the subject while I fly will greatly shorten the "retakes" to get the footage required. During the winter months (Ontario,Canada) I film ice sailing boats across the frozen lakes, as they travel very fast and taking one of the tasks away from piloting will "I think" greatly help. However If..... one day we could program this to follow a subject for a selected time frame (i.e. 3minutes or 7 minutes..etc) and at user random elevations selected between say 40-70 feet or 100-150 ft , etc. This would be "over the top" for my imagination in filming.

Reactions: Neil Mathew
Just signed up. I'm really hoping this tracking will solve the issues I ran into. Glad I clicked on this post.

Most common problem with aerial filming haha. I wonder how we can fix that so you never forget to record. Hmmm.

One of the other 3rd party apps allows you to set a toggle for "Start recording upon engaging". Works well. I'd rather delete unwanted footage than the other way round.

One of the other 3rd party apps allows you to set a toggle for "Start recording upon engaging". Works well. I'd rather delete unwanted footage than the other way round.
Good idea. We were thinking of popping up a warning if you engage tracking without hitting record first.

Boy am I glad I bumped into this thread. Signed up for android.
I presume if you zoom in on something the s/w gradually rewrites the definition.. so if you aim for a person, say, that's a dot to begin with, it doesn't get confused and drop the subject at some point. A bit like your zoom out but in reverse?

You hit the nail right on the head. This passing-under shot has been a challenge for us, for a while now. We haven't programmed the rotate behavior, mainly because it's hard to come up with a behavior that feels natural enough but also keeps the subject in the frame in this particular use case. I'd love to get your feedback on how to implement this use case better. Would you be ok with us controlling Yaw randomly on the Inspire in that case ? (The only reason i ask is that sometimes you hit the limit of motion on the gimbal and can't pan anymore)

I imagine this probably would be almost impossible to accomplish smoothly. When you see video of military bombing runs where they have passed the target you see that mechanical rotation. If they can't get a smooth rotation with the technology available to them, who can? The extreme angle change and the speed with which it needs to happen is the problem.

I would have no problem with the app controlling yaw and would almost expect that you would need to do that as a matter of course.

Hi Phantom Pilots,

We’re Vertical, a start-up in the Bay Area and we're looking for beta testers for our app Vertical Studio.

One of our biggest problems with aerial video was that filming landscapes and panoramas is easy, but filming close-up shots of stuff in action is ridiculously complicated. Only the most professional studios with large drones and camera crews seem to be able to film those sweet complex action shots.

So we've built Vertical Studio. An app for DJI Phantom and Inspire that lets you film all those difficult tracking shots with a simple touch interface. How do we do it ? Well, we use some nifty computer vision software we’ve been building for over a year and pack it all into your Android or iOS device so you can auto-track anything your drone sees - without any GPS or tracking beacons. Just click on stuff in your video feed and let Vertical Studio handle the rest.

The best way to explain Vertical Studio is probably with this video.

If you’re interested in beta testing, we’d love it if you could head over to our website (Vertical - EPIC Aerial Filming) and take a minute to sign-up for either the Android or iOS beta. It will help us better manage our beta tests. The Android beta is available now, but the iOS beta should be ready in a few days.

Vertical Studio is compatible with DJI Phantom 3 (Pro, Advanced) and DJI Inspire.

And if you have any questions or initial thoughts about Vertical Studio, do let us know in the forum or email us at [email protected].

Cheers!
Neil
www.vertical.ai

There are other great use cases for Public Safety here. Tracking objects and persons of interest. I would be interested in determining the ability to discriminate a particular person identified in a crowd, and the detection of an object entering or leaving a defined area. Outside of the UAV uses, there is considerable need for this intelligence in video surveillance and security platforms. Is you application adaptable outside the UAV space? Will be signing up to see how this handles some scenarios.

I saw something similiar to this for the Parrot Bebop recently and was hoping to find something for the Phantom 3. Didn't think it would be this quick though. This certainly fills a gap in terms of closer tracking of a subject.

Looking forward to the beta if there is space or the finished product if not.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor