Various Questions

Reaction score
I've been flying a Phantom for a few months now using the Zen muse gimbal and GoPro Hero 3. I also just upgraded to the FPV system from DSLRPros.com. Got a few questions:

1. Is there any way to control the GoPro via the Futaba transmitter? For example, when using the FPV goggles provided by DSLRpros.com, it shows me the GoPro recording info. That's great, but it would be so much better to be able to start/stop recording from the Futaba.

2. The paperwork provided with the DSLRPros kit showed the Futaba utilizing one of the top right switches to toggle the gimbal orientation. This is not working for me. Any thoughts on how to get that to work? The gimbal rotation knob is working, just not the switch for toggling the gimbal between two positions.

3. The FPV goggles reception seems poor, but I don't have any prior experience to compare it to. For one, the goggles and remote monitor flicker a lot, even when the Phantom is nearby. Also, the range seems to be maybe 500 feet. After that it's hit or miss. And wind causes the signal to flicker substantially. Is all of this normal?

4. I thought I had read somewhere that you can set a GPS focus point that would allow the Phantom to target for "wrap around" shots. For example, let's say I want to fly the Phantom around a tree and have it always facing the tree. Is there a way to facilitate that kind of shot by using the Phantom's flying modes, waypoints, GPS, etc? Obviously, I can make that flight maneuver manually, but it can be tricky to get the rate of lateral movement to match the rate of rotation.

Thanks!

mindbend said:
I've been flying a Phantom for a few months now using the Zen muse gimbal and GoPro Hero 3. I also just upgraded to the FPV system from DSLRPros.com. Got a few questions:

1. Is there any way to control the GoPro via the Futaba transmitter? For example, when using the FPV goggles provided by DSLRpros.com, it shows me the GoPro recording info. That's great, but it would be so much better to be able to start/stop recording from the Futaba.

2. The paperwork provided with the DSLRPros kit showed the Futaba utilizing one of the top right switches to toggle the gimbal orientation. This is not working for me. Any thoughts on how to get that to work? The gimbal rotation knob is working, just not the switch for toggling the gimbal between two positions.

3. The FPV goggles reception seems poor, but I don't have any prior experience to compare it to. For one, the goggles and remote monitor flicker a lot, even when the Phantom is nearby. Also, the range seems to be maybe 500 feet. After that it's hit or miss. And wind causes the signal to flicker substantially. Is all of this normal?

4. I thought I had read somewhere that you can set a GPS focus point that would allow the Phantom to target for "wrap around" shots. For example, let's say I want to fly the Phantom around a tree and have it always facing the tree. Is there a way to facilitate that kind of shot by using the Phantom's flying modes, waypoints, GPS, etc? Obviously, I can make that flight maneuver manually, but it can be tricky to get the rate of lateral movement to match the rate of rotation.

Thanks!

1-Nope, not really, and the last thing you want is to add additional hardware to complicate things. Just remember to hit the record button, fly, and hit it when you land. When you trancode video in Cineform studio, you can do a quick edit prior so that it only transcodes what you want.

2-not sure how DLSRPros tries to explain their p-mix for gimbal tilt, but somehow my video on youtube has gotten some attention http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS8_y8Px1kw

3- FPV uses 5.8ghz, same as cordless home phones and some baby monitors, so you never knew what kind of interference you might encounter. having good spironet antenna's is ideal tho.

4- technically, you could use IOC Home Lock to rotate around a subject, but the smallest radius is 10m/30ft, not very practical, and you'd also have to set the home location at the center of the subject. and you'd still need to manually rotate the craft and pitch it with a stick anyhow. = not a very practical solution, so I'd recommend against it.

Just gotta practice doing it on your own with careful stick movement.

you could also set up p-mixes with the futaba that will automatically rotate the Phantom while pitching, which will kind of work, but it will either under or over-rotate the craft as well.

you can also set up a D/R Expo switch on your Futaba so that stick movement is far less sensitive, but that could help considerably.

4. I thought I had read somewhere that you can set a GPS focus point that would allow the Phantom to target for "wrap around" shots.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong - but the DJI WooKong flight controllers allow for something called "Point Of Interests" that will allow you to fly this way. - But - alas - the Phantom is NAZA based and does not allow for the same functionality as WooKong-M. And .. the WooKong flight controllers start at $900+ .. so if you ever decide to go that direction - you will be paying for a pretty hefty sum for whatever flying platform you choose+WooKong-M flight controller.

Mindbend, thanks for the business!

There's no way to control the gopro... Yet :)

If the right slider isn't working, try plugging into the naza software and recalibrating the X1 channel. Keep that knob centered when you do it though.

The range on the fpv system is affected by all kinds of things, like antenna orientation, type of antenna, etc.

To do a point of interest shot, you'd need an autopilot system. Dji makes one, but we've yet to figure out how to use it with the phantom and gimbal... But we are working on it.

Shoot me a pm if you have any questions.

As mentioned you can circle around the home point if saved correctly and IOC (home lock) is engaged (and 10m/30ft from "home point"). I've wanted to test this, but haven't actually had success (didn't try hard). You can also "set" the "home point" manually while flying, so for example, take off like normal, hover above the tree or Point of Interest, re-set the home position (something like flicking the IOC switch # of times) then fly out of the boundary, point the nose/camera at the POI and use the right stick to go clockwise or counter-clockwise around it.

Hi Netphreak,

Recently got a Sundance kit and have been searching online how I would do a Point of Interest wrap around shot. Reading the Sundance FAQ v1.3 and v1.6 it seems this is possible using the SB and SC toggle switches but I can't seem to figure it out. How do I set the point of interest and enable this feature? Thanks!

netphreak said:
To do a point of interest shot, you'd need an autopilot system. Dji makes one, but we've yet to figure out how to use it with the phantom and gimbal... But we are working on it.

Shoot me a pm if you have any questions.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl