Using someone else's drone

Reaction score
My P4 is taking a UPS ride back to DJI service (I couldn'tt get the UV filter off, tried all the suggested and YouTube techniques.). Anyway, my boss has a spare P4 he's never used before, and we've got some work to do next week. I am pretty confident that it's never been registered yet.

I am most likely going to want to use my tablet with Go 4.0.3 running on it. I'll be actually flying my mission with Dronedeploy. I have never flown someone else's P4 before using my tablet. Anyone have advice how I should proceed? Will I have sign off DJI Go and create a new account for my bosses drone, then fly it. Does DJI Go 4 have multiuser ability?

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I would set up a new account in a separate go app to avoid having two separate flight logs in your current account. Maybe try downloading another app (on your device or that of your bosses device) to register the craft to activate the drone, warranty if applicable. You may also be prompted to do a firmware update once you have completed the registration, including compass calibration, probably an IMU calibration to benchmark the drone to get it ready. Following that, you should be able to operate the drone like your own unit.

Last edited:
Thanks tevek.

Sounds good since I don't want to confuse DJI with any future warranty issues since he owns that P4 and purchased it from them (a refurbished.). That said and done, once we get it up and the aircraft's firmware all up-to-date, I would like to fly it using my Tablet running DJI Go 4, or other autopilot apps such as Pix4D Capture, Dronedeploy, etc. because I'm logging everything for Part 107 reasons.

After you register the craft with the owners device, such as an iPhone or Android, and upgrade the firmware to current versions (assuming it's never been flown or upgraded), you should then be able to use your device to fly the craft. I think the activity will log flights onto your device using the craft name of the new craft.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl