Using prop guard?

Good for objects that you may come into contact with. Trees (to an extent) cars, buildings, People (hopefully not)

Bad for open areas with lots of wind. They (prop guards) tend to become like sails to a certain degree and can influence the quads ability to maneuver as precisely.

Reactions: gvsukids
Good for objects that you may come into contact with. Trees (to an extent) cars, buildings, People (hopefully not)

Bad for open areas with lots of wind. They (prop guards) tend to become like sails to a certain degree and can influence the quads ability to maneuver as precisely.

Thanks bro

The last flight definitly made me think that prop guard are useful especially if you fly over long distance. The wind blew the drone against a tree but It could have been a person too...

Last edited:
The last flight definitly made me think that prop guard are usefull especially if you fly over long distance. The wind blew the drone against a tree but It could have been a person too...
But some people said that the prop guard act as sail making the drone easily drifted in high wind

I don't use them just because they don't fit in my case.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

IMO, if you're a n00B, they are probably a good idea.

If you're experienced, they are probably not a good idea.

One last thing that nobody ever mentions in these threads is that if you're strictly following FAA guidelines, prop guards will allow you to fly further since your aircraft will be more easily visible at a distance (VLOS).

Reactions: gvsukids
The cool kids don't use prop guards because nothing EVER goes wrong with them at the stick. :p

I use them for the visibility and I occasionally get too close to things.

I have been using them since I got my Bird, took them off once and wind blew it into my fence ruining a set of props. Guards stay on now. I have the quick release set so they can be removed when stored in backpack. Also painted the front set bright orange for visibility
20160423_104137.jpg .

Good or bad?
Meh...50/50...For every advantage, there is a dis-advantage. It is up to you to decide if one outweighs another to sway your decision.

I have them and have used them. They unquestionably have saved the props from certain destruction for me once. They also were the cause of an almost fly-away because they act like sails in the wind.

I suggest to have a set of guards, but be certain to use quick connects instead of permanently attaching them to the motors.

Meh...50/50...For every advantage, there is a dis-advantage. It is up to you to decide if one outweighs another to sway your decision.

I have them and have used them. They unquestionably have saved the props from certain destruction for me once. They also were the cause of an almost fly-away because they act like sails in the wind.

I suggest to have a set of guards, but be certain to use quick connects instead of permanently attaching them to the motors.
Where can I buy?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl