Using IPad Air with no data/GPS for my Phantom 3s

Reaction score
Hi All. Bella from Australia here. I usually use my IPhone 6 with no problems. However I have a IPad Air with No data and only use it at home with my home Wifi but obviously have no data once I go outside. Can I use my IPad outside controlling my Phantom with no data access ? Any limitations since it won't pick up GPS ?

Can I use my IPad outside controlling my Phantom with no data access ?
Yes.

Any limitations since it won't pick up GPS ?
You'll need to cache the maps at the flying location before you head out to fly (if you want to be able to see the map images in DJI GO). And, you will not be able to use the Follow Me feature or reset your home point to your mobile device's current location after takeoff in DJI GO.

Last edited:
Don't understand how to cache the maps at the flying location ... I do not have data access outside

I do not have data access outside
Right. That's why you need to store them locally for offline use (AKA cache them).

Do this:

1) Connect your iPad Air to the Internet.
2) Start DJI GO.
3) Enable the "Cache Map in the Background" setting in the "General Settings" section of DJI GO.
4) Open the camera view in DJI GO and find your flying location on the map.
5) Scroll around on the map to load the map images for all areas you plan to fly. Make sure you zoom in to load the map images at the zoom level you plan on using when flying.

Alternatively, you could tether your iPhone to your iPad Air to get an Internet connection on your iPad Air.

Thanks mate. Forgot about tethering my IPhone. All makes sense. Now I need to find a suitable adaptor for my RC.

Can I use my IPad outside controlling my Phantom with no data access ? Any limitations since it won't pick up GPS ?
Hi Bella ... MSinger has covered caching maps pretty well.
The maps aren't really necessary for most flying anyway.
Having no data won't have any effect on your flying - many flyers use wifi-only tablets.

As for what limitations .... the only limitations of flying without a GPS enabled tablet are that you won't be able to:
Fly follow-me .. or
Reset your home point to the current location of the controller.

Neither of these would have much impact on most owner's flying.

Reactions: gvsukids
I ordered a external GPS bluetooth device for my ipad pro wifi only model! GPS will work with a device like that

If you can't reset home point, then how does return to home work? I noticed without maps I don't have the green H dot or the blue tx location dot or the the bird arrow

Your Home Point will be stored in the phantom from its GPS when you start the motors. That's where the Phantom goes to when it loose looses signal from the remote.

The reason only reason I can think of changing your home point is your out in a boat, so your mobile device, if has if it has GPS can now tell it where you want to go when it goes in to RTH.

Geese, I hope I got that right, since I have never done any of this stuff.:eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: gvsukids
If you can't reset home point, then how does return to home work? I noticed without maps I don't have the green H dot or the blue tx location dot or the the bird arrow
Your Home Point will be stored in the phantom from its GPS when you start the motors. That's where the Phantom goes to when it loose signal from the remote.

The reason I can think of changing your home point is your out in a boat, so your mobile device if has GPS can now tell it where you want to go when it goes in to RTH.

Geese, I hope I got that right, since I have never done any of this stuff.:eek:
You can also set the rth to be location of the Drone

With or without a GPS tablet?

You don't need GPS on your tablet in order to reset the home point to the Phantom's current location -- if that's what you're asking.

Yes, and everybody else, thanks!

Questions regarding tethering to my phone. Since the Phantom 3 4K connects to the drone via Wifi, how can I tether with my phone and the drone at the some time? Is it possible?

I think this is the answer, you would be connecting your phone to your tablet with bluetooth, if your tablet does not have cellular data.

I think this is the answer, you would be connecting your phone to your tablet with bluetooth, if your tablet does not have cellular data.
Questions regarding tethering to my phone. Since the Phantom 3 4K connects to the drone via Wifi, how can I tether with my phone and the drone at the some time? Is it possible?
Or setting of a hotspot by the phone

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes, bluetooth, a WiFi hotspot won't work.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl