Upto 160 minutes flight time? WTF

andersonpaac said:
What do you guys think about?
http://motorcitydroneco.com/products/in ... on-vision#

I'd love to have the 2 Phantom2's for 50 minutes at 258$.

Any thoughts , ideas?
Not all 160 minutes at once. It looks like a tricky marketing ploy.
It could never take off with 12 batteries attached.

You can attach two batteries at once for ~27 minutes flight time, each battery set.
When it goes on to compare (4), (6), (8), (10), (12) batteries, it's comparing the total flight time (with battery swaps) to the Phantom 2 Stock battery (with battery swaps).
Either way, you have to land and swap batteries every 25-27 minutes.

It takes your Phantom 2 battery that you have to send them, removes the 5200mAh battery and externally attaches their 2x 2800mAh batteries to the Smart Battery circuit in the battery "Cap"
Notice this picture
20140708_213133_grande.jpg

Alot to go through for maybe 2 extra minutes of flight time and a lot of extra weight.
Probably the most pointless mod I've ever seen.

What's even more stupid is that they compare the cost of the DJI battery to the cost of their battery, but You Have to Send them a DJI battery, so you have to buy the DJI battery and then pay them again.

In the other thread the company is saying that they will have conclusive flight comparison times done this weekend.

I don't see it flying any longer with 2 batteries that are heavier than stock and block the propellers. Maybe if they use some super expensive light weight lipos. But I am looking forward to the results they get. This is interesting not so much for flying longer, but for being able to use your regular lipos instead of having to buy 5 DJI batteries.

cahutch said:
Not all 160 minutes at once. It looks like a tricky marketing ploy.
It could never take off with 12 batteries attached.

It's like the sign - "Open 24hrs - not in a row"

The only good thing about this mod would be to buy the intelligent cap & battery tray, then go somewhere like HobbyKing and order your own Li-Po packs. You could pick whatever size packs you wanted, assuming of course they are within the Phantom's lift capacity, and it would be a fraction of the price of Motor City's battery pricing.

i.e. Turnigy Nano-Tech 3S 3300 mAh 35C (270g) - $27.50 (x2 would be 127% stock capacity)
Multi-Star 3S 5200 mAh 20C (331g) - $29.00 (single or x2 would be 200% stock capacity)
Turnigy Nano-Tech 3S 6000 mAh 50C (481g) - $41.81 (single or x2 would be 231% stock capacity)

These are just a few examples of how much you could save buying your own packs.
Note second options would be 1.45# & 2.1# of battery weight so testing would obviously be required to determine practicality.

I've been using lipos since they started in Rc , had all different brands . But really like the dji battery's , no wires , connectors soldering. Nice , easy and pretty much troub,e free.
I don't know about you guys , but 20+ minutes of flying , I'm ready for a break.

Mori55 said:
I've been using lipos since they started in Rc , had all different brands . But really like the dji battery's , no wires , connectors soldering. Nice , easy and pretty much troub,e free.

I have to agree. Otherwise you are flying around with a couple of ballast tanks with spaghetti strapped to the sides. I'm sure they would be popping up in video too.

When I get my Vision+ in next week I'm thinking I might buy a small weight set and see how weight reduces battery life -- has anyone mapped the curve yet? Like how many mhA per gram whilst hovering in no wind?

andersonpaac said:
nhoover said:
If I am reading it right it seems ridiculous. Why would I double the cost for 2 extra minutes?! Plus it looks stupid.

Seconded !

This is a great mod for frequent flyers.
You don't buy this for 2 extra minutes you buy this because after sending in a preferably run down DJI battery (which frequent flyers most likely have) the cap is modded for you (you could also do it yourself), and as stated above, you then buy LiPo batteries from one of many possible stores at a fraction of the original DJI price.
And with one cap hooked on the phantom you use as many charged batteries as you want (you don't need multiple caps).

So for a frequent flyer on a budget this is a great mod - will also allow you to use your own LiPo chargers.
Will allow you to experiment with different capacity and quality LiPos (if needed) for increased flight time or decreased weight etc.
The main disadvantage is its a bit more fidgety to get hooked on to.
For the occasional weekend flyer with no RC material (LiPo chargers / soldering units / plugs etc) this mod is probably not worth having.
And by the way you can make/buy a single 3s2p lipo if you want and place it in the original battery compartment.

I just don't see the point of stating that this mod is useless and seconded! And no offense to the posters -
Its obviously still not clear to some what this mod is for so thought I'd try to explain.

Luap said:
andersonpaac said:
nhoover said:
If I am reading it right it seems ridiculous. Why would I double the cost for 2 extra minutes?! Plus it looks stupid.

Seconded !

This is a great mod for frequent flyers.
You don't buy this for 2 extra minutes you buy this because after sending in a preferably run down DJI battery (which frequent flyers most likely have) the cap is modded for you (you could also do it yourself), and as stated above, you then buy LiPo batteries from one of many possible stores at a fraction of the original DJI price.
And with one cap hooked on the phantom you use as many charged batteries as you want (you don't need multiple caps).

So for a frequent flyer on a budget this is a great mod - will also allow you to use your own LiPo chargers.
Will allow you to experiment with different capacity and quality LiPos (if needed) for increased flight time or decreased weight etc.
The main disadvantage is its a bit more fidgety to get hooked on to.
For the occasional weekend flyer with no RC material (LiPo chargers / soldering units / plugs etc) this mod is probably not worth having.
And by the way you can make/buy a single 3s2p lipo if you want and place it in the original battery compartment.

I just don't see the point of stating that this mod is useless and seconded! And no offense to the posters -
Its obviously still not clear to some what this mod is for so thought I'd try to explain.

+1

nice mod if you already have lots of batteries from your phantom1 lying around.

Question, does anyone here have this cap? If so I have a few questions.

1- Can the 300 cycle limit I read about be set to zero again, or will your cap still be counting up from where it was prior to sending it in for the mod?
2- Will the percentage of charge still be displayed?
3- Will you be able to monitor the battery cell voltage, capacity, etc., with the assistant software?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez