Upgrade time.. p4p or......

Reaction score
Hi Gang.. looking to upgrade my P3P which I've used to get my business started... looking at the following.. with the caveats..
P4P: great camera, 4K 60fps etc (think shoot mainly at 24), price for capability, object sensing, speed etc etc (as you all know of course!) or..
Inspire 1 Pro: less MP but better camera overall (X5), shorter flights, but looks like a grown-up drone to the toy-looking P4P.. but costs more (can pick one up around £2250-£2500.

Interested to hear your thoughts.. which would/did you choose and why?

if you can pick up an Inspire RTF with an X5 gimbal and suitable lens(es) for that kind of money then that hasn't lived a 'hard life' then that just about makes sense - it's a little bit dated but the Zenmuse 5 is still current.

When I was shopping around a few weeks back, most Inspire 1's that people were selling were very much 'second hand' and the interpretations of 'excellent condition' were (shall we say) varied :) Most I saw for sale didn't have a Zenmuse 5 either - the X3 was more common and that's not good enough.

The camera on the P4P is a massive leap from the P3P and after a fair bit of thought, I decided that for the time being that was the way forwards - video quality is excellent, stills are superb, the P4P is light and agile in the air and I have no complaints. The 'extra life' of the larger battery is a waste of time of you are buying two or three batteries - you gain a couple of minutes but the batteries are about 40% more expensive than the standard P4 batteries

Ask me in a few months time, I'll probably have bought an Inspire 2 as well :)

Reactions: Stoo1701
I have both and use them as my needs change. The P4P+ (Love the attached display) is my run-n-gun rig for fast deployment. The camera on it is amazing. But there are some things that t won't do
A few nights ago I was shooting video of a carnival with all of it's lights and action. Beautiful. Only problem was I only had the P4P along and couldn't get close enough to get useable shots. I had to stay above a wooded field about 150+ feet away so I would not be flying over people. If I had my I1 Pro, I could have gotten much better shots. I have a Z3 zoom for it which would have brought everything in much closer.
So, basically, when limited as to access and time is not an issue, the I1 pro fits the bill.
When I need to get up in the air fast and have no limit as to how close I can get, the P4P+.

Reactions: andy_k
I have both and use them as my needs change. The P4P+ (Love the attached display) is my run-n-gun rig for fast deployment. The camera on it is amazing. But there are some things that t won't do
A few nights ago I was shooting video of a carnival with all of it's lights and action. Beautiful. Only problem was I only had the P4P along and couldn't get close enough to get useable shots. I had to stay above a wooded field about 150+ feet away so I would not be flying over people. If I had my I1 Pro, I could have gotten much better shots. I have a Z3 zoom for it which would have brought everything in much closer.
So, basically, when limited as to access and time is not an issue, the I1 pro fits the bill.
When I need to get up in the air fast and have no limit as to how close I can get, the P4P+.

Jeez, that's a big help ! [emoji106] indeed I'd love to have both, but I do still have a couple of P3P's for the fast deployment stuff.. so., if you had to choose between your babies.. which would you keep? [emoji848]

Hands down......

xxxfx.jpg

Reactions: Stoo1701
Inspire 1 Pro: less MP but better camera overall (X5), shorter flights, but looks like a grown-up drone to the toy-looking P4P
Unless you use the X5 camera, the images from an Inspire will not look grown up.
If you do swing an X5, you are looking at very short flight times on top of the cost/size/portability/time to get in the air issues that come with the Inspire.
The P4 pro camera is a game changer and the ability to fly it on an affordable and easily portable drone is fantastic.

Unless you use the X5 camera, the images from an Inspire will not look grown up.
If you do swing an X5, you are looking at very short flight times on top of the cost/size/portability/time to get in the air issues that come with the Inspire.
The P4 pro camera is a game changer and the ability to fly it on an affordable and easily portable drone is fantastic.

Thanks for the input.. my meaning was that the craft itself (Phantoms) look toy-like in comparison to the inspired and the comparative value of this appearance in the eyes of a client [emoji106] I'm aware the X3 is technically barely better than my P3Pro camera, which is why I would go straight to the inspire pro.. even if 4mp lower than P4P's excellent camera, I'm just not feeling that the phantoms give the right impression of professionalism ...

Thanks for the input.. my meaning was that the craft itself (Phantoms) look toy-like in comparison to the inspired and the comparative value of this appearance in the eyes of a client [emoji106] I'm aware the X3 is technically barely better than my P3Pro camera, which is why I would go straight to the inspire pro.. even if 4mp lower than P4P's excellent camera, I'm just not feeling that the phantoms give the right impression of professionalism ...
This gets brought up quite often.
Ive not found a client that cares about my Phantom's "toy" appearance.
But they are very impressed with the technology if they look at the live view while I'm shooting and they love the results.
I think the toy/pro tool idea is one that drone fliers might have but very few outsiders do.
Results is the number one factor to consider, followed by price.
For my photography, I can't get the results I get from anything less than a P4 pro or an Inspire 2.
And if I had the I2, it would take a long time to pay for itself and I'd be scared to put such a big investment at risk every time I fly.

Reactions: willhay555
This gets brought up quite often.
Ive not found a client that cares about my Phantom's "toy" appearance.
But they are very impressed with the technology if they look at the live view while I'm shooting and they love the results.
I think the toy/pro tool idea is one that drone fliers might have but very few outsiders do.
Results is the number one factor to consider, followed by price.
For my photography, I can't get the results I get from anything less than a P4 pro or an Inspire 2.
And if I had the I2, it would take a long time to pay for itself and I'd be scared to put such a big investment at risk every time I fly.

Hmm I've wondered the same thing.. my P3P fetches plenty of oohs and aaahs from customers and nearby people, and no-one has commented on the toy-like appearance.. generally get comments like "that's a serious bit of kit"!! And it is from other pilots I get the opinions about the P's looking a bit toy-like...

Man I'm swinging backwards and forwards by the hour.. deffo inspire, deffo P4P, deffo Inspire, deffo P4P.. still really torn truth be told...

if you'd like a random selection of P4P raw files to play with/edit to help you make up your mind I'm happy to upload some for you to my server to give you an idea of what the results from the camera looks like - i can add a few P3A ones as well for comparison :)

if you'd like a random selection of P4P raw files to play with/edit to help you make up your mind I'm happy to upload some for you to my server to give you an idea of what the results from the camera looks like - i can add a few P3A ones as well for comparison :)

That would be great Andy, could you dump some on wetransfer.com or something for me? Stu@dragonuav dot co.uk thanks :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72