Upgrade my tablet

Because they wanted to sell their own tablet. Can’t do that with iOS. They’re making a lot of money on crystal sky. Plus it’s an old version of android mod by them and very little third party support.

Although this is often repeated in forums, I can't see any evidence to support it.
If DJI favours Apple so highly, what operating system are they using for the P4 pro?
Both Apple and Android are fine but if you try to run the Go app on a substandard device (Apple or Android) it's going to be disappointing.
Run it on a tablet that's up to the task and it's fine, whatever operating system is used.

What do you even mean what OS is used by the P4P? What does that have to do with the tablets OS?

And yes crappy hardware. Crappy experience.

My post above was citing examples of why that a decent Apple tablet does so much more and is better supported, both by Apple and by devs. That should always be part of the decision process as well. The entire experience.

As the OP, i asked this earlier and didn't get a response...BTW I settled on the iPad Pro 9.7. Could some of the new participants answer this for me?

I use older firmware on my P3P (1.4) and in turn also use older DJIgo (2.4.3) and older Litchi (4.1.2).

1. Can I install older versions of apps? (Side load APK)
2. Can I block updates?
3. How will video edditing on the pad effect file transfer over to my windows 10 PC? (I use Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere, Vegas Pro, and Resolve)
4. How will I go about transferring previously purchased Android apps over to Apple?

Thanks guys.

What do you even mean what OS is used by the P4P? What does that have to do with the tablets OS?
Sorry ... I left off the +.
But I still question the frequently heard comments that DJI loves Apple or is made for Apple.
DJI have never indicated that they favour one OS over another.
DJI software just works well on good equipment whatever the flavour.

You can't justmove your android apps over to your Apple device. If the app you are interested in are not developed in both operating systems you will have to find a similar app that.

I am not a big Apple user but I must admit that apps developed on IOS are almost always better. I think it is the vetting process delivers have to go to get their apps published. Generally, I don't think you can go wrong with Apple products as long as you are able and willing to spend the bucks.

Bottom, line, like someone else said earlier, you paid $1500 on a drone, don't scrimp on a tablet or you will be disappointed.

Reactions: ravedog
Sorry ... I left off the +.
But I still question the frequently heard comments that DJI loves Apple or is made for Apple.
DJI have never indicated that they favour one OS over another.
DJI software just works well on good equipment whatever the flavour.

Well that makes more sense!

Disagree with your assessment. Now maybe dji’s android team has caught up but there was a time where it wasn’t on par with iOS.

As far as crystal sky using android as some hidden meaning other than that’s the only os they can use. It’s a default. And judging by complaints (yes things have gotten more stable) it was a rocky start.

Here’s a company that created a product. The P4P+ and Crystal Sky monitors because if they control everything. More money. Maybe crystal sky was an answer to I need more nits. Judging by the QC issues it’s not a great answer. For those who have great experience, great. But it’s inconsistent.

I’m just musing on anecdotal reporting evidence that there is an overall feeling that maybe iOS is more reliable. Proof? None other than what people say and MHO.

I chose iOS because in the long run its more stable and reliable. Yes there are those who just hate Apple (irrational) and those who are content having to constantly sideload, tweak and customize. Me? I want the tech to get the eff out of the way and let me do whatever it is I’m trying to do. I no longer want to tweak and hack. I want to work. (I leave the tweaking and hacking to the Unix underpinnings of the Mac and my raspberry pi).

Fun fact: most iPads have a longevity of 4-6 years before eBay. And resale is still high.

I’d rather spend the money upfront knowing it’s going towards support, longevity, a robust ecosystem, and reliability.

Again, you get what you pay for.

I’m just musing on anecdotal reporting evidence that there is an overall feeling that maybe iOS is more reliable. Proof? None other than what people say and MHO.
I can't find any hard evidence to support the idea.
With Apple there was more standardisation in the devices while you get all kinds of Android machines.
The idea that Android didn't work as well came from users running sub-standard machines rather than an issue with the OS.
Now Apple have advanced their processors and the DJI Go app has put on weight, you get trouble trying to run the app on an older, lower spec Apple device, just as you do with Android.
But run it on a device with a fast processor and sufficient RAM and it runs perfectly on both.

I can't find any hard evidence to support the idea.
With Apple there was more standardisation in the devices while you get all kinds of Android machines.
The idea that Android didn't work as well came from users running sub-standard machines rather than an issue with the OS.
Now Apple have advanced their processors and the DJI Go app has put on weight, you get trouble trying to run the app on an older, lower spec Apple device, just as you do with Android.
But run it on a device with a fast processor and sufficient RAM and it runs perfectly on both.

Ok. Agreed.

You are still missing my bigger point about the overall experience.

You are still missing my bigger point about the overall experience.
I just never had any need to constantly sideload, tweak and customize and haven't had any issues with reliability or longevity.
There are loads of different Android machines out there.
Maybe I've been lucky?

This debate could go on forever because there are salient points on both sides. I’m biased. So there’s that. The sum of both our experiences has validity. So win win?

Reactions: Meta4
I am not a big Apple user but I must admit that apps developed on IOS are almost always better. I think it is the vetting process delivers have to go to get their apps published. Generally, I don't think you can go wrong with Apple products as long as you are able and willing to spend the bucks.

As a firmware engineer by trade, I did some mobile app programming just to see if that's what I wanted to do for a living (not for me, BTW). IOS apps are SO much easier to develop than android apps. Another reason they may be better.

I was using a Samsung Tab S4 but kept losing video after only a few seconds. This happened about 80 percent of the time. My Samsung S8 seemed to do better at first but then developed the same problem though not as often. I'm not an Apple fan, but when I read the thread about tablets and the two software teams at DJI I bought an Ipad 9.7 inch 2017 model with one of the later processors. This is the basic model and not the pro. I spoke with one of the reps from Apple before making the decision telling him exactly what I wanted it for. This is what he recomended and I've had no problems. Oh, by the way, I'm flying the Phantom 4 and using the DJI 4 Go app.

From my personal experience I used an iPad once or twice for flying and it was a nightmare. Screen freezes every few seconds, green screen bars, pixalted all over the place. Used a few unknown brands android phones ranging from £120-£170 and it's been flawless. No problems at all. So for me I don't go for the highest price or the biggest names. It's all about the specs of your device. For me if it's got minimum of 1.5GHZ and 3GB of ram then it will be smooth sailing. At the moment I am now running on an unknown phone (elaphone S8) with 4GB ram and 2.1GHZ and it's performing like a champ. Why spend £900+ on a tablet when this £170 phone can do it just as good. If I want a bigger screen then I can get a tablet with the same specs as above for around £80 with a 10.1" screen. Not against apple at all. But I rather get the same smooth experience without burning a hole in my wallet.

You can't justmove your android apps over to your Apple device. If the app you are interested in are not developed in both operating systems you will have to find a similar app that.

Yes, I know they are different platforms. I was talking about when an app has been purchased (Litchi) from Android and you now want to install it with an Apple product. Would a new license need to be purchased? Or does the developer honor the purchase across both platforms?

Also would some one help answer this for me:
I use older firmware on my P3P (1.4) and in turn alsouse older DJIgo (2.4.3) and older Litchi (4.1.2).

1. Can I install older versions of apps? (Side load APK like you would with Android)
2. How will video edditing on the pad effect file transfer over to my windows 10 PC? (I use Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere, Vegas Pro, and Resolve)
3. How will I go about transferring previously purchased Android apps over to Apple? (Request from developer?)

I'm new to drones and dji, but how can soo many ppl have such different experiences when connecting to the same line of drones using the same dji app?

• same drones
  • same app(s), but
  • different firmware versions
  • different phone/tablet devices, or
  • same devices with different specs, or
  • different (other) apps installed which can slow the device down or otherwise interfere
  • many different owners doing things differently, and sometimes wrong
  • manufacturing or design defects
  • mechanical failure
  • human foibles

So now it's 2018 and my Nvidia (not k1) is showing some age. Broken screen and the fact that neither the K1 or the older vs is even available, I wanted some suggestions on what to upgrade to. My wife wants to get me the Samsung S tab 3 with Lte. Not only is it huge, I would have to place it on a table just to fly, but it is also quite expensive...but something that I would entertain. The reports of DJI's proprietary tablet just doesn't set well with me (not interested) and I'm more entertaining a second Android for the flexibility and side loading APK.'s.

What do you suggest? All feedback is welcome even if it's an Apple!

And.......start. cheers!
I have been using an older LG- VK 700 10.1'" android tablet for the last 16 months. Velcro on tablet, matching on RC and DJI box top. Absolute max size with a protective back shell, but i have never dumped it off the RC or had it fall off the outside of the P4P DJI box. I am leaning towards the S3 myself, but my more likely replacement will be an ASUS zenpad-Z10. At less than 1/2 the price of the S3, what it does not have compared to the S3 is way better than the old VK 700. Because i use Drone Harmony, i am stuck with Android at this time.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures