upgrade firmware

Reaction score
hi all ... should I upgrade or not My Phantom 4 is going great ... there has been a bit of controversy on this ... going to do a few longer flights in a straight line over Xmas ...

I'm on the latest firmware and running the DJI GO 4 iOS app with zero issues.
Hey Kman, im a P4 rookie so please excuse if i ask a silly question. I have the standard P4, do you recommend the GO 4 app as opposed to the original GO? Second question, i have two batteries, does that mean when upgrading the aircraft firmware i repeat the process with the second battery? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hey Kman, im a P4 rookie so please excuse if i ask a silly question. I have the standard P4, do you recommend the GO 4 app as opposed to the original GO? Second question, i have two batteries, does that mean when upgrading the aircraft firmware i repeat the process with the second battery? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Run GO 4 as it is newer. When you update the firmware on the P4 it will automatically update the firmware in the battery that's in the P4.

After update is complete, turn off the drone and controller and exit the app. Put in the new battery and turn on the controller, app, and then P4. You should get a prompt to "update module". Module is the new battery you put in. Slide the prompt and it should update the battery. Power everything down and restart and you should be safe to fly. :)

If you don't get a prompt to update the module power everything down and start over.

Reactions: Dr. Klutz
A firmware update is daunting. Here is a video that I find helpful in explaining the process for a Phantom 4 Pro:

For the new folks (myself included) some tips:
1. To power on the Remote Controller (RC) or Drone do a double tap and hold on the power button (e.g., press once, then again and hold)
2. If you are updating through the DJI Go 4 app, then you will need to be using a tablet/phone that is connected with WiFi or data so that the tablet can connect through the Internet with DJI to download the upgrade file.
3. Upgrade the RC first.
4. If you have an iOS device, then you are probably using a USB to Lightning connector to charge your tablet. That is the cord that connects the iPad to the RC. Be sure to use the full size female USB port on the RC (#16 on page 10 of the User Manual) See attached photo 1966. Do NOT use the micro USB female port.
5. After the RC upgrade is complete, then you can connect the tablet to the Drone. This is where that curious short cable that is in the box is used. See attached photo 1967. This acts like a conversion USB to micro USB, and plugs into the side of the Drone, next to the memory card slot. Do not use this to plug into the micro USB port on the RC!

The following is shown in the video, but is far from obvious: there are two downloads. The first download is for the RC firmware. The second download is for the copter firmware.

Good luck! Note the cautions in the video for post update checks.

Attachments

• IMG_1966.JPG
    IMG_1966.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 269
  • IMG_1967.JPG
    IMG_1967.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 252
Last edited:
Reactions: hotashes
Hey, so I have just received my P4 in the post today and have been trying to upgrade the latest firmware before my first flight. I've upgraded the RC but I am having issues with the P4. I'm using DJI Assistant 2 on my Mac. I click update and it goes to 100% on the download so thats all good, however, it then goes onto the transmitting page and remains on 0% without movement.

Any ideas what is wrong? Cheers

I upgraded using DJI Go 4, but it had to separately download the firmware file from DJI. Did you in fact have the copter firmware downloaded? It is a separate file from the RC firmware. I first started with an iPad with WiFi, but that had trouble getting the firmware file from DJI. I then used an iPhone 6s with a cellular data connection.

Why not retry using DJI Go 4?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures