Updates and the pros

Why is the subject of hacks not allowed on here is this an official DJI run board?
No, this forum is not connected with DJI. The owner of the forum doesn't want discussions of things that may affect the safety of the craft, potentially impacting our current freedoms to fly. When you have so many newbies here, I agree that it's not a good idea to be discussing things that could put lives in danger when in the wrong hands.

Last edited:
You may interpret that however you want, but my 107 instructor flat out said that if your FW isn't up-to-date, the FAA could consider the AC not airworthy for commercial operations. I like to err on the safe side, but I've never had an issue with a FW update, so I'm likely to upgrade anyway.
This appears to be an "opinion" of an instructor, not based on fact or precedent, correct me if I'm wrong. And it's also interesting that a drone today that's considered airworthy with current release firmware would NOT be air worthy the minute the next firmware comes out, yet the same worthy craft had no changes from days earlier. Hmm. You have to admit that makes no sense, and I doubt if a craft's non-air worthiness could ever be proven by the FAA for old firmware, especially when DJI NEVER admits their craft are not air worthy, not even 2yrs ago when craft were falling form the sky in super cold climates. If a craft wasn't air worthy, shouldn't the FAA mandate a recall for a known worthiness problem? Logically, I would put that liability on the FAA if they know of an air worthiness issue, however there is nothing serious enough yet with DJI to warrant such a move, unlike Go Pro Karma :eek:.

What your instructor did was dish out some FUD, which is fear, uncertainty, and doubt, a sales tactic that good people swallow and never question, in an effort to "err on the safe side", and there's nothing wrong with that. However I never upgrade unless there's a compelling reason. DJI has a history of taking out functionally and adding more restrictions to keep newbies safe. I'll pass on that leash.

Reactions: tevek and Meta4
AC 107.2 Section 7.2.2 Unscheduled Maintenance.
"...the sUAS manufacturer or component manufacture may require an unscheduled system software update to correct a problem. In the event such a condition is found, the remote PIC should not conduct flight operations until the discrepancy is corrected."

You may interpret that however you want, but my 107 instructor flat out said that if your FW isn't up-to-date, the FAA could consider the AC not airworthy for commercial operations. I like to err on the safe side, but I've never had an issue with a FW update, so I'm likely to upgrade anyway.
I can only remember two times that DJI have brought out firmware updates to correct a problem.
Perhaps there have been a couple more but most are to add features.
Most have nothing to do with correcting a problem.
I’d simply switch to Litchi and not be bothered by DJI again! Works for me
Despite your love of Litchi it is still bound by the constraints that are baked into your Phantom by the firmware.
You still fly with DJI firmware regardless of the app you choose.

Reactions: OOO
I’d simply switch to Litchi and not be bothered by DJI again! Works for me

Jim
WA5TEF
With all due respect, your almost obsessive love for Litchi and dislike for DJI support is well noted on this forum, my concern is that the noobs on this forum may take your advice on face value and end up switching to Litchi without fully understanding how to operate their drone and the implications of irretrievably losing their brand new unit and trying to make a warranty claim. I understand your frustration with the service you received from DJI and you remind us almost weekly of the event, but Litchi has had certainly issues in the past and from my experience, more disconnects and unpredictable behaviour than the GO app ever gave me.

Reactions: Meta4
I can only remember two times that DJI have brought out firmware updates to correct a problem.
Perhaps there have been a couple more but most are to add features.
DJI has a history of removing features in new firmware/software releases too, such as the ability to disable smart return to home when battery gets low, and the "vivid" color setting. They never tell you what they removed, you have to find it yourself.

I've been flying DJI products since the Phantom 2. Back then doing firmware updates was a nightmare. I moved on to Phantom 3's and having learned my lessons I did one and maybe two updates. Neither was easy or straightforward. I've been flying my Phantom 4P's for close to a year and I'm still running on the original firmware with no glitches other than the usual warnings that it's out of date. The FAA thinks I should update regularly though. Guess they don't read these boards.

But there are many, many commercial operators who are way larger than my small fleet who fly under the same FAA regs. Do they all do updates each time DJI does a release? Do all these news organizations that how have fleets of P4P's update regularly?

Anyone have thoughts or insite on this?

A

I just got a Pro last week. Flew it all weekend and it was great. Turned it on today and it said to update the firmware. I did and now it doesn’t connect to the controller. Called DJI twice. Still nothing. Have to send it in to DJI. No more updates for me!

DJI firmware updates are without a doubt the SAFEST thing you can do for yourself and the public. A drone that can no longer fly is EXTREMELY safe!

Any blinking or sounds when RC turns on, what lights blink on AC and RC?

DJI firmware updates are without a doubt the SAFEST thing you can do for yourself and the public. A drone that can no longer fly is EXTREMELY safe!
@jeffames226,That's so funny, great sarcasm. :D

@RSLiNY , You've just learned why you shouldn't update DJI firmware, just because DJI requests you to. Most firmware changes increase restrictions and in some cases remove important features and don't tell you! Believe me, if something was drastically wrong with a firmware release, you'd hear about it in this forum. There are some very sharp pilots here that have years of experience with DJI craft. If something is awry, they'll find it, and sometimes they will find it before DJI does. Unless there's a compelling reason you just have to have new firmware, resist it like the plague as long as possible. Don't fix what's not broke.

Did you update the craft firmware or the RC firmware? Sometimes when you update the the craft, people forget to see if the RC needs updated too, or vice versa.

Try relinking the craft with the radio. Directions are in the manual if you can't find the "relink" in the Go4 app. If that doesn't work try reloading the Go4 app. If that doesn't work, make sure the RC firmware is up to date for a "matching Craft + RC firmware". The Go4 app should prompt that if out of rev. Once you get it working, leave it the hell alone and fly it, have some fun!

FYI, here is a list of "matching" firmware for craft and RC. You can find your versions in the Go4 app ABOUT section.

upload_2017-10-27_23-1-46.png

You should be able to get it working at home without shipping it to DJI. If my suggestions don't help, wait for other suggestions from the guys here before you ship it in.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna