Updates and the pros

Reaction score
I've been flying DJI products since the Phantom 2. Back then doing firmware updates was a nightmare. I moved on to Phantom 3's and having learned my lessons I did one and maybe two updates. Neither was easy or straightforward. I've been flying my Phantom 4P's for close to a year and I'm still running on the original firmware with no glitches other than the usual warnings that it's out of date. The FAA thinks I should update regularly though. Guess they don't read these boards.

But there are many, many commercial operators who are way larger than my small fleet who fly under the same FAA regs. Do they all do updates each time DJI does a release? Do all these news organizations that how have fleets of P4P's update regularly?

Anyone have thoughts or insite on this?

A

if it ain't broke don't fix it.
although the latest firmware update did fix some of the problems that I had.
flew fine for first flight with only one battery.
do this at your own risk.

Reactions: AyeYo
I'm on P4P firmware 1.3.509 (May 2017) and have no complaints, other than the HDMI module won't work on this version firmware. However the advantages of my version are huge. Search YouTube for "Phantom parameters" and have a field day. Any P4P firmware after June 2017 does not enjoy these freedoms. I can idle my motors at any RPM, remove the REV REV at startup, get rid of the false wind warning annoyances, and many other liberties.

I suggest you refrain from upgrading firmware unless you have a compelling reason.

Reactions: OOO and CANEKiTA
I'm on P4P firmware 1.3.509 (May 2017) and have no complaints, other than the HDMI module won't work on this version firmware. However the advantages of my version are huge. Search YouTube for "Phantom parameters" and have a field day. Any P4P firmware after June 2017 does not enjoy these freedoms. I can idle my motors at any RPM, remove the REV REV at startup, get rid of the false wind warning annoyances, and many other liberties.

I suggest you refrain from upgrading firmware unless you have a compelling reason.
Please share some of tour favourite parameter hacks. I have only enabled Sport Ascent and Descent speed in regular GPS mode.

The one thing I would like to be able to do is lower the data rate between the aircraft and the tablet, it's not an option in the CE version. I do not know if it is the tablet that can't handle the data rate from the AC/RC or if I am having problems with strong radio interference causing the video to break up on the tablet display.

The one thing I would like to be able to do is lower the data rate between the aircraft and the tablet, it's not an option in the CE version. I do not know if it is the tablet that can't handle the data rate from the AC/RC or if I am having problems with strong radio interference causing the video to break up on the tablet display.
When you click the HD icon and choose a custom channel that should reveal the "transmission quality" adjustment option.

When you click the HD icon and choose a custom channel that should reveal the "transmission quality" adjustment option.
Not available in the EU, the CE regulations forbid us to change any of the radio settings other than the selection of the 2.4 or 5.8 GHz bands :(

Being a licenced ham radio operator it sticks in my craw a bit not being able to adjust it to lower the bit rate which would also lower the amount of radio spectrum used.

Not available in the EU, the CE regulations forbid us to change any of the radio settings other than the selection of the 2.4 or 5.8 GHz bands :(

Being a licenced ham radio operator it sticks in my craw a bit not being able to adjust it to lower the bit rate which would also lower the amount of radio spectrum used.
92a8c345e0d0c75af1d3b25cb8d9be6b.jpg

Are you saying the CUSTOM button doesn't appear in your app when you click the HD icon, as shown in this photo, top right?

Make sure you're connected to the craft when trying this, it won't work if disconnected from the craft.

Last edited:
From a UK perspective as a PfCO holder it has been impressed upon me during training and from my insurance that I should always have the latest firmware installed.
So far , so good!

92a8c345e0d0c75af1d3b25cb8d9be6b.jpg

Are you saying the CUSTOM button doesn't appear in your app when you click the HD icon, as shown in this photo, top right?

Make sure you're connected to the craft when trying this, it won't work if disconnected from the craft.

It’s not an option in the UK. Different radio rules (or so they’re implying)

From a UK perspective as a PfCO holder it has been impressed upon me during training and from my insurance that I should always have the latest firmware installed.
I've heard similar things before and wondered is that just the opinion of an instructor or is it an official position from the CAA?
It's not like flying with last month's firmware (that worked perfectly a few weeks ago) is going to be risky this week if new firmware is released.
I'd think a more conservative approach and not updating firmware unless it's been checked and confirmed good would be preferable.
Look at what's in the updates and it's rare that they have anything that would make any difference in flight safety.

Reactions: OOO
So this "CUSTOM" button doesn't appear?
Nope, not on our DJI Go at all. If you run DJI Go 4 without the RC being connected then the Custom button does appear but greyed out, once the RC and AC are connected the button disappears completely.
_DSC5804.JPG

Reactions: wa5tef
My Litchi app never has these problems. All should give it a try before continuing to mess with DJI.
JIM
WA5TEF

I wasn't aware that the FAA had an opinion on the matter.
Can you point to a reference for that?

AC 107.2 Section 7.2.2 Unscheduled Maintenance.
"...the sUAS manufacturer or component manufacture may require an unscheduled system software update to correct a problem. In the event such a condition is found, the remote PIC should not conduct flight operations until the discrepancy is corrected."

You may interpret that however you want, but my 107 instructor flat out said that if your FW isn't up-to-date, the FAA could consider the AC not airworthy for commercial operations. I like to err on the safe side, but I've never had an issue with a FW update, so I'm likely to upgrade anyway.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michello