Unlocking fly zones coming real soon?

So I was trying to fly around a football stadium yesterday with litchi. it is my understanding that with no event happening there, that this is legal. However, as the bird approached the stadium on her GS mission to circle it. It just started losing altitude very slowly, until I canceled the mission and backed up, then was able to regain altitude as I got further away again. Can someone explain this to me? I am not seeing anything in the way of a no fly zone on my "Hover" app in this area... I am concerned that if I were inadvertently fly near another unpublished NFZ that my Quad could go down if I happen to lose signal and cannot back her out... Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I think not all apps are up to date or have reached the same conclusions regarding rules, recommendations, and definitions that have been introduced recently.

My thought is DJI does not want you flying their aircraft over a populated sports stadium, and since they can't possibly update your firmware each time a game is scheduled, they simply make it a no fly zone all the time, even though, technically, you can legally fly over the stadium on a non-game day.

My thought is DJI does not want you flying their aircraft over a populated sports stadium, and since they can't possibly update your firmware each time a game is scheduled, they simply make it a no fly zone all the time, even though, technically, you can legally fly over the stadium on a non-game day.

So I understand this right. The no fly zones are stored in the firmware of the phantom, and have nothing to do with the software used to fly it? Since I preplanned the mission in Litchi, it was still trying to go. No warning at all, until I noticed my altitude dropping. I guess I will have to manually fly every area in its entirety before flying a GS mission from now on. What would happen if I had just let it try to run the mission? would it have just kept going down till it landed/crashed? My fear is that if something like this happened at the limits of my signal range, my bird would be lost...

It appears Hover is not really serving you well. Maybe try another app.

I believe it would auto-land once it enters the no-fly.

Just got off the DJI site, looking at the opt out feature, and I cannot see any no fly zones where I was trying to fly yesterday... If DJI is mandating these NFZ's and warning zones, wouldn't it make sense to just show them on the DJI app map view? Am I missing something? Are they there somewhere?

Ok I can find it here. And yes its there,and exactly where I started having my issues... So why isn't this overlayed on the DJI app map view?

I am seeing it now... Between using litchi yesterday, running into the unexpected NFZ, not knowing what was happening as I haven't flown near one before, it doesn't surprise me that I didn't see it on the map view once I switched to the DJI app. I'm not sure I was even looking at the map view at that point... So as I understand it, I should be able to register with DJI and somehow??? Accept responsibility and be able to fly it right? So how does this work?

Last edited:
I'm in uk England...do,s no fly zones mean you can't fly in them at all due too that App knows where you are, or just mean you shouldn't fly there because it is forbidden ?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I am seeing it now... Between using litchi yesterday, running into the unexpected NFZ, not knowing what was happening as I haven't flown near one before, it doesn't surprise me that I didn't see it on the map view once I switched to the DJI app. I'm not sure I was even looking at the map view at that point... So as I understand it, I should be able to register with DJI and somehow??? Accept responsibility and be able to fly it right? So how does this work?
I believe you got it right but I don't have a P3 so I've never gone through the process myself...

I'm in uk England...do,s no fly zones mean you can't fly in them at all due too that App knows where you are, or just mean you shouldn't fly there because it is forbidden ?

It's the aircraft that knows where it is, not the app.. Whether you can fly or not depends on the zone. If it's a strict no fly zone, you can't fly at all. But if it's a less restrictive zone and it's permissible to fly in the zone with specific authorization or simple notification, you may be able to self-certify yourself to fly in that zone. It's good for three days IIRC. As I said above, I don't have a P3 and have never gone through the process...

So how does one know if its a total off limits, or a restrictive airspace, ie; the stadium I was trying to fly. I cannot find the NFZ at all on the DJI "pre flight authorization" page. And it just shows a red circle over the area. Has anyone actually done the "in flight" waiver of the flight zone? How does it work? Do you just click on the warning that comes up? Do tell...

If it's a place you have permission to fly, you can get DJI to remove the restrictions from your birds firmware

I contacted DJI Support, they sent me some forms, one was a non-disclosure agreement,,,I filled them out, signed them. Had the airport administrator sign them, Faxed them to DJI,,, along with my controller and drone serial numbers. About 2 days later,,NFZ free :)

My NFZ involved a municipal airport that was hit by a tornado and never rebuilt. I don't know for sure if they removed it from my firmware, or removed the airport from their list of NFZ's

The airport is used by several RC aircraft clubs, as well as a few private pilots who don't mind using a hanger with no doors and part of a roof

i would like to know the same thing. In the past this maps was cluttered with yellow warning zones also. I dont see, not even one of those anymore ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez