Unlocking fly zones coming real soon?

The problem is the world isn't flat & this limitation needs to be 400' AGL. Also, and I'm not a licensed pilot so I don't know the details of their rules, but I suspect manned aircraft limits (ie stay above 500') apply to the highest structure in the vicinity. Otherwise flying 500' AGL over New York City would prove rather disastrous.

Here is KLAS McCarran. Easily solved by a hard 400 foot limit. If DJI truly wanted to chance the picture as far as conflicts with aircraft while upsetting their loyal customer base to far lesser degree, they would impose a 120 hard max altitude. No more 500. Mind you there are those who come in here and *****. But believe me it is a lot less than the bitching and leaving the hobby entirely that will happen if the beta limits go on as is. There is absolutely no reason civil aviation should be cruising around under 150 agl. And no reason we should be higher than 120. While I admit to having done far higher to go up the side of a mountain but still being only 20 meters above the rocks and trees. If DJI made a hard 120 limit I'd say oh well, hike up the mountain on foot and take off higher up. I wouldn't even say one word in complaint here. But to create this bs here while still leaving folks to **** around at 500 meters over flat ground and maybe a metropolitan center solves what safety concern? Hard 120 and smaller yellows would leave far more people happier and safer to boot. Want to keep the yellows as large as they are, then do an inverse cone where the bird would automatically be blocked at higher altitudes the nearer to the epicenter of the yellows. Now as far as the French and Croatian coast, this is a nightmare. I'd get a vortex 250 racing drone and be done with it if I lived there. Anyway, here is Las Vegas. See how a hard 120 with the old phantom 2 no fly zone would take care of most issues there. Issues that aren't completely solved with a three day clearance to 500 meters.
View attachment 40165

Reactions: bighi
Brendan is a member of this forum. Posting a member's personal information online without their permission is a personal attack and not allowed. If he wants to provide his email address publicly, he can do so.

And please note, foul language is not allowed. As is open criticism of moderation. I suggest you visit the community guidelines page and read it. End of discussion. If you have anything more to say about it, take it up with me privately.

His email address isn't private information. It's posted online. if an admin want's to do something useful, fix this app so it works on cellular data. I and several other members have brought it up in other forums and no one cares to address it or fix the issue.

Thank you Stuartbp. EXACTLY correct. His professional email address is definitely not private, and going around the forums and removing it while he is professionally and informatively responding to people who are registering their specific concerns with him is completely counterproductive and frankly ridiculous.

His email address isn't private information. It's posted online. if an admin want's to do something useful, fix this app so it works on cellular data. I and several other members have brought it up in other forums and no one cares to address it or fix the issue.

Yes. And I believe that the more people who tell Brendan that, the better. He will see that the people complaining with the same complaints are not "outliers" but they are the majority of users. Brendan is constantly referencing the issues that people tell him about, and for the "moderator" here to remove his public and professional email address and prevent those in these forums with legitimate concerns to contact the VERY party who is deciding how they use their multi-thousand dollar investment is frankly ridiculous. Shame on the moderator who is doing this.

I just don't wanna see half my state yellow. Bottom line

Does anyone else see this authorization system as tattle tale system?

DJI may authorize you to fly. But the FAA or DOT or whatever your authority is, may very well have a different opinion.
Getting an authorization is just letting that authority know you are flying where you should not be.

How long befor the things can be operated outside dji software?

Does anyone else see this authorization system as tattle tale system?

DJI may authorize you to fly. But the FAA or DOT or whatever your authority is, may very well have a different opinion.
Getting an authorization is just letting that authority know you are flying where you should not be.

How long befor the things can be operated outside dji software?

Getting "authorization" to fly kinda reminds me of some other things like "authorized" to view this channel?

I actually just had a conversation with Brendan this evening.

He truly, truly does care and is committed to keeping the experience excellent. They are fixing this as fast as possible and do understand. I think they just need to communicate that better.

But I feel 100% better after our conversation. I truly do.

Reactions: fordruid
I actually just had a conversation with Brendan this evening.

He truly, truly does care and is committed to keeping the experience excellent. They are fixing this as fast as possible and do understand. I think they just need to communicate that better.

But I feel 100% better after our conversation. I truly do.
maybe I didn't waste my money afterall .... wow
oh wait I did, the remote on my standard broke today and ive only had it a few months ----&*%&^&*)&T*T)*T

Old one.PNG
New1.PNG
New2.PNG
A better view of what becomes available to morons after geo fence. Does this make any sense in terms of safety???? And if does, then leave the decision to the pilot and not DJI if they feel so confident in opening this to morons. Anyway, first picture is the current no fly zone, second is what is available to fly over with geofencing, third is a closer look at just what becomes possible to fly over. Now where is the added safety?

Yes, it woukd be a federal offence to overfly those airports. But on the current no fly zones, it would be physically impossible for a moron to penetrate that airspace. You could not take off within that space and if you were in the air, the craft would automatically start descending. Moron proof. Idiot proof. Under geofencing one can get in there. Easily as DJI keeps saying. Just a couple of taps and a phone number. You think Mr terrorist minds the process? Now I ask you folks, what do you, as a persons who values human life which I'm sure you do, think is the safer system? Where is the improvement in safety? Would you rather have an system that makes it easy to find the perpetrator of the air crash on the 7 o'clock news or making it impossible to cause the crash? Which, is already present on the current no fly zone system. Mix that with 120 meter hard limit, boom, a hell of a lot less air conflicts. And without pissing off so many loyal customers to boot. So hence, right now a guy in Bucharest can take off in his back yard but cannot fly over those very busy airports no matter how much crystal meth he took that day. Post geofencing, he could no longer take off in his backyard. But after clrarances, he could tske off and if he is nuts enough, he could fly over those airports. And only after the bodies are in the morgue from an air crash will he have problems with the authorities. I keep an apartment in Gibraltar. Over there, under the current no fly zone system, I cannot get anywhere near that airport with my drone. But I can fly all day long at the beach nearby in Tarifa, Spain. There's not much there other than a couple of restaurants. Under geofencing I can, two clicks away, completely disrupt the landing of an Airbus 320 on one of the shortest runways in the world, which Gibraltar is. Oh, but I would be breaking laws! Right now it's impossible to break so long as its a DJI product. Post geofence, hell, two clicks, try, it's easy.... But that big empty beach at Tarifa with a few restaurants? Nope, all yellow. Nah, it's not about safety at all. It's only effect is to show intent on DJI's part. Geofencing with this senseless map reduces safety at the very best. At the very worst it puts one in the same manhunt list as the, say, 33 others who cleared that day, of which one moron caused the catastrophe. Because now, two clicks away, he can. One would have to be on the drugs listed above to think there is any benefit to John Q Flier or John Q Public under geofencing with this crappy map. As for those few who have to do aerial work in a no fly? Have the new proposed system available for the old no fly zones in order to expedite for the work involved.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasekp
The problem is the world isn't flat & this limitation needs to be 400' AGL. Also, and I'm not a licensed pilot so I don't know the details of their rules, but I suspect manned aircraft limits (ie stay above 500') apply to the highest structure in the vicinity. Otherwise flying 500' AGL over New York City would prove rather disastrous.
A hard 400 limit and the old, no excuses, no clearances, no fly zones, in conjunction with each other, would do far more for safety than this fiasco that DJI is proposing.

Reactions: Vasekp
A hard 400 limit and the old, no excuses, no clearances, no fly zones, in conjunction with each other, would do far more for safety than this fiasco that DJI is proposing.
I agree, I understand the airspace is not only for drones. On the other hand what else uses this 400AGL? I can hardly imagine glider, paraglider, ultralight small plane or whatsoever in this height unless taking off or landing. We don't mess with other planes at all. Emergency helicopter maybe but it is hard to overseen ;) Why I cannot take off from my own yard to a reasonable height....

I know the unlock system is in USA, Europe and Australia.It is probably worldwide, but those are the only areas I know of for sure.

It does NOT affect any P3 YET because it is in beta. Those using it have joined the beta program. Once released, it will be included in a firmware update. At that point, it will affect anyone who upgrades. Many people have stated that if you are on 1.6 (or even 1.5) you will have no choice but to be "upgraded" to the new system. I do not know if that is true.

Either way, the system is NOT part of the current software release. It is in beta and "coming soon."
This all sound crazy and very complex.

Well it it because of all the idiots out there that are flying near airports etc. We are fooling ourselves to think the good ole days would never end. I am ok with this, it allows us to still fly. If they didn't do something and someone causes a plane to crash, it will be over.. Period!

I dun-no? I think I'll be waiting a long time before I hit a plane coming and going from some of DJI's Geo-zones. The biggest problem I see is DJI threw this whole thing out without a clue as to what was what. Their maps keep changing daily. If someone looked at the Geofencing a day or two ago and made plans, it most likely changed today. Here's my area just a few days ago...almost nowhere to fly and I live in the country. Every farmers field had a lock over it. The second picture is what the "Ellis Fly In" yellow zone actually is from Google Earth. Today most of the yellow zones are gone but they added in red zones for the prisons which is starting to make some sense.

DJI should have done a little more research and got it a little closer to realistic to start with instead of throwing it all out there and then sorting it out.

Attachments

• Ellis Fly.jpg
    Ellis Fly.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 502
  • Ellis.jpg
    Ellis.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 425
with all of the no fly zones coming to light I bet oh Mr. DJI is still rubbing his hands together thinking to himself "bring me the money" now he is praying on uneducated people buying that will continue to purchase their products

G

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18