Unlocking fly zones coming real soon?

Best one yet.

That yellow zone is mind blowing. More than even the east of Milan, south of Brescia, north of Parma and west of Vicenza square. Here is what I think is far more effective and I'm playing the devil's advocate here. Make these yellow zones inverse cones which reach their widest point at 400 feet or 120 meters. Or hell, make a 120 meter from takeoff point the absolute limit. Look, I've flown up to 500 meters. It's overkill. Want to fly on mountains, take off from a mountain. A nuisance, sure, but a pill most can swallow. Easy to put on sales advertising. Max altitude, 120. The problems out there are mostly born out of real, or perceived, flying over 400 feet over heavily populated cities. "Oh, saw drone outside the window on Southwest flight." Sorry, our drones only go 400 feet up. And again, inverse cone with even lower altitudes nearing the center. This would clear up all the model airfields that sit smack in the middle of yellow zones. Zones which one is allowed to fly far heavier turbine rc of 200+ mph capabilities with no unlocks required.

That yellow zone is mind blowing. More than even the east of Milan, south of Brescia, north of Parma and west of Vicenza square. Here is what I think is far more effective and I'm playing the devil's advocate here. Make these yellow zones inverse cones which reach their widest point at 400 feet or 120 meters. Or hell, make a 120 meter from takeoff point the absolute limit. Look, I've flown up to 500 meters. It's overkill. Want to fly on mountains, take off from a mountain. A nuisance, sure, but a pill most can swallow. Easy to put on sales advertising. Max altitude, 120. The problems out there are mostly born out of real, or perceived, flying over 400 feet over heavily populated cities. "Oh, saw drone outside the window on Southwest flight." Sorry, our drones only go 400 feet up. And again, inverse cone with even lower altitudes nearing the center. This would clear up all the model airfields that sit smack in the middle of yellow zones. Zones which one is allowed to fly far heavier turbine rc of 200+ mph capabilities with no unlocks required.

Liguria is pretty crazy, too.

Reactions: bighi
Liguria is pretty crazy, too.

Yeah, I noticed Liguria. Nasty. I got lucky with Lignano Sabbiadoro and the Laguna di Marano which is where I do my flights. Over in Codroipo there is a yellow because of the Frecce Tricolori. But not much more in Friuli Venezia Giulia with the exception of Trieste. Mind you, Frecce still does some crazy flying over Lignano but you can hear them coming.

After years and years with DJI since phantom 1, I'm really considering ditching all the phantoms I own and just grabbing a racing drone with a fat shark and be done with it. With that I can do all the flying I want, when I want, where I want with no internet, flight planning, etc... I've got enough intrusion from corrupted, self serving governments already. After years with phantoms, I've done all the picture taking I could over my well trodden grounds. My enjoyment now is flying for the thrill of flying and picture taking on a whim by the side of some deserted road. I don't want to plan my routes, dig up roaming data charges and the like. I'll wait and see what DJI does about these monster yellows. But I'll already start digging on racing drones. I'm a flier first, picture taker second anyway.

Reactions: DeputyDrone
So I came across this.

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

Looks like it's going to get very shittttty for us. The zones are terrible. In some cases entires cities will need to be authorized each time you want to fly. An authorization is only valued for 3 days....
I'm so pissed after reading that page and all the trouble we will have to go through the to be able to fly.

This has class-action law-suit written all over it. In fact, much if what DJI has pulled has them comfortably lined up for losing a legal battle. Legal or not, my drone already does less than it did when I bought it and with this new system, it's going to completely un-flyable for thousands of customers. No way they'd win a legal battle over something that wasn't mandated by law.

Kaybee - did you write Brendan?

This has class-action law-suit written all over it. In fact, much if what DJI has pulled has them comfortably lined up for losing a legal battle. Legal or not, my drone already does less than it did when I bought it and with this new system, it's going to completely un-flyable for thousands of customers. No way they'd win a legal battle over something that wasn't mandated by law.

Brendan Schulman is the DJI person in charge of all this GEO stuff. His email is: [email protected].
We are trying to get as many people as possible to write him and register our concerns.

Brendan Schulman is the DJI person in charge of all this GEO stuff. His email is: [email protected].
We are trying to get as many people as possible to write him and register our concerns.

I'll email him right now but I can say with confidence it's going to fall on deaf ears. The only thing this company will understand is destruction of their product recognition and loss of revenue. The only time a company cares about how unhappy their customers are is when they're losing money and right now, that's the least of their concerns. The FAA is in their pocket, deeply I imagine, to implement this draconian control over us and they wont be rooted out until their bottom line is in such jeopardy, they have no choice.

The problem with the car analogy is that with a car you are in full direct control of it. With a quadcopter you are not.

I should be in direct control if the product is working like it's supposed to. If DJI is worrying about pilots losing control they have other quality control or software problems to worry about.

A car was the first example that came to mind. I can't think of a single item that I own that can be made to work or not work based on the selling companies opinion on where I should or shouldn't use it.

When I buy a gun at Cabelas, Remington does not tell me where I can use it, and make it not fire if I go into certain areas without pre-approval.

Guys go buy some other device then.

If you don't like DJI's policies don't give them your money.

Reactions: m0j0 and BigAl07
Disclaimer

Guys go buy some other device then.

If you don't like DJI's policies don't give them your money.

yeah, this doesn't work for me. I paid for a product to work a certain way. It didn't. It was riddled with bugs. If I want those bugs fixed I have to accept draconian control of my product and restriction?

Create two firmware streams. One with ONLY bug fixes and NO new restriction. The other is bug fixes, restrictions and new features.

THAT would be the fair way to do it. Probably the only LEGAL way too.

I wrote to him already. They might listen to our concerns just as well as they did regarding stress cracks. They eventually budged on that. But it took time and many denials. What I don't get is that our model airport has been in it's present location for generations. It satisfies every law of Austria control. Including the higher than usual Austrian 150 meter agl ceiling. It's good enough to satisfy Vienna. And we're talking Austria here. A place where your suspension bushings, brake fluid quality, shock rebound, and everything on the car is checked yearly before it's allowed on the road. Again, the model airport satisfies these anally retentive officials, but not good enough to satisfy DJI who would require clearances every few days. Folks can take their 200 mph + rc jets there and fly at will. But my 37 mph (back on 1.5 fw) requires approval from folks in China. China!!! To appease powers that be in USA.

I'll say it again, a 400 foot altitude limit, while it would upset a lot of people, would have gone much further in aspects of safety. Oh ****, can't go higher, oh well. You could still fly where flying is allowed without all the hurdles. Old no fly zones still in play of course. Have special clearances for those, but not a **** model aircraft field. Or a **** backyard. Use inverse cones on the yellows. Anything is better than this crap.

Last edited:
Reactions: sydneymark
If people don't police themselves then you will have police. The industry is protecting it self since a lot of quad owners have failed to follow rules and regulations.
The next time you see a post or video showing "My Max Elevation", hammer that guy, he's the responsible party.

Reactions: SixNinerTango
If people don't police themselves then you will have police. The industry is protecting it self since a lot of quad owners have failed to follow rules and regulations.
The next time you see a post or video showing "My Max Elevation", hammer that guy, he's the responsible party.

That's called a Utopia. It doesn't exist. What does is exist is the real world where the government breaks their own laws (requiring registration for toys even though congress said they cannot do it) and corporations dictate how you will use something you bought and own AFTER the sale (countless and endless examples of this. Every one if which ends in an unfavorable class action lawsuit).

Utopia isn't a valid solution so yelling at the guy who flys up at 1000ft isn't going to solve it. Also, how many drones are there out there now? Millions? Not one crash.

To put this "threat" into perspective, since 1988 there have been 200 deaths due to both bird AND wildlife collision with aircraft... WORLDWIDE.

200 deaths, WORLDWIDE from both aerial surface collisions with birds and other animals. Estimates are that there are between 100 and 400 billion wild birds worldwide... many of which are over that magic .55lb mark.

I think the fear-mongering did it's job in scaring people to accept the control and registration scam they're running on us.

Guess what people, statistics don't like. Dying from an inflight drone encounter has killed ZERO people world wide and the odds of it ever killing ANYONE is, based on bird collisions in the past 30 years, ALMOST ABSOLUTE ZERO.

If you don't like regulation, and control over your private property, don't blame the guy who chooses to use it differently than you do, whether or not you agree HOW he uses it. Blame the bureaucrats and businesses who are doing so illegally.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94